Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2022, 07:10 PM   #1

Any information would help

Any information would help Currently looking at starting the process of doing a skoolie. A couple things that I would like to know that anyone could answer. When buying a bus is it possible to take a window out towards the middle of the bus and put your door towards the center? And remove the current door and all the front components upfront and use that as the square footage?

Matthew0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:15 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
What you describe is possible and has been done by a few people. It does require fabrication (metal work with welding). You have to move not just the door but also the step well which requires a cutout in the floor. The door is also wider than the gaps between ribs, so you would have to remove two windows and part of one rib (or build your own narrower door and step well from scratch).
Old 06-29-2022, 10:10 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
a lot of New york busses spec'd a side door exit.. rear engine busses almost always have one all over the country... thats a good start to building a side door entry / exit but definitely going to require some fabricating to get it right
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:43 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
I did my door in the middle since my bed is up front we don't have to climb over it to get out, as well as anyone else climbing over it. There are details in my gallery. I found an RV door that fit exactly between ribs, made my steps out of galvanized steel. Went to a junkyard and got a panel off another BB and installed it in place of front door. The front door on my bus took up @ 36" so it 'won't fit between ribs anywhere else on the bus as they are usually 32". sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:16 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2002
I have a Thomas RE with a mid section emergency door . I was going to convert that to main entrance. Easier than starting from scratch. It is registered as motor home, painted, maybe for sale.
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote