Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #41
Bus Geek
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 3,028
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
A little rust might not be bad but if you grind it off instead of convert it you make baby Jesus cry.

__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:00 AM   #42
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Hill AFB, Utah
Posts: 32
Yeah Blue Ridge says they can remediate the rust if its in the body just not the engine. I assume that's treating it. Not sure. I just offered him $3k for the Amtran so we will see.
ATHandBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:08 AM   #43
Bus Geek
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 3,028
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
A little patine on the engine is a non-issue.

The rust on the frame, floor, walls, etc can be converted with Ospho or a similar product that chemically changes iron oxide (rust) into iron phosphate, a strong inert metal that won't rust.
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Hill AFB, Utah
Posts: 32
The search has been going on for a while now and havn't secured anything. Back to the advice line.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3660084903318/

5.9 Cummins with Allison Trans. Seller doesn't know exacts on Trans. Claims 26k original miles on engine. I'm thinking of offering $3k.
ATHandBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #45
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,472
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHandBanana View Post
The search has been going on for a while now and havn't secured anything. Back to the advice line.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3660084903318/

5.9 Cummins with Allison Trans. Seller doesn't know exacts on Trans. Claims 26k original miles on engine. I'm thinking of offering $3k.
If he's not the original owner of the bus, do not believe the mileage is correct. $3k is tops, unless it's a 545 and then knock a couple hun more off.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #46
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,472
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
The last pic of the dash is not the same bus as the one showing the mileage.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Hill AFB, Utah
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The last pic of the dash is not the same bus as the one showing the mileage.

Thanks for pointing that out, I definitly overlooked that. Why am I finding all the scam artist????
One guy wanted to charge an extra $2k over asking to schedule an appointment to inspect the bus......
Needless to say this guy did not accept the $3k offer...
ATHandBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Hill AFB, Utah
Posts: 32
Just got into contact with the seller of this bus. It's with the Boys and Girls club. Any experience with buses from that organization? I would ASSUME they take decent care of their vehicles. They just upgraded to newer buses he says.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6028996469155/

I think I am just overly suspicious of everyone.
ATHandBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #49
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,672
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHandBanana View Post
Just got into contact with the seller of this bus. It's with the Boys and Girls club. Any experience with buses from that organization? I would ASSUME they take decent care of their vehicles. They just upgraded to newer buses he says.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6028996469155/

I think I am just overly suspicious of everyone.
If you've got the kind of money to pay a company to do your bus up you should maybe lighten up on the scrutiny and find a bus you like and just go for it.
You can replace the whole engine for a fraction of what a conversion from one of these startups costs.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #50
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,472
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHandBanana View Post
Just got into contact with the seller of this bus. It's with the Boys and Girls club. Any experience with buses from that organization? I would ASSUME they take decent care of their vehicles. They just upgraded to newer buses he says.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6028996469155/

I think I am just overly suspicious of everyone.
Unless I was flush with cash I would not get rid of a bus with 21k (hardly broken in) and spend over $100k for an upgrade. The old bus would probably be more reliable. Never assume an organization would take decent care.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Hill AFB, Utah
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If you've got the kind of money to pay a company to do your bus up you should maybe lighten up on the scrutiny and find a bus you like and just go for it.
You can replace the whole engine for a fraction of what a conversion from one of these startups costs.
You have a valid point and thanks for the suggestion. I am finding buses I like, I am just looking for advice on whether or not they would be a good buy. I have reached out to multiple buses for sale and they continue to fall through or some issue isn't disclosed. I don't have the depth of knowledge as you all do and just appreciate the opinions put forth. Thanks for the help!!
ATHandBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #52
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,672
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHandBanana View Post
You have a valid point and thanks for the suggestion. I am finding buses I like, I am just looking for advice on whether or not they would be a good buy. I have reached out to multiple buses for sale and they continue to fall through or some issue isn't disclosed. I don't have the depth of knowledge as you all do and just appreciate the opinions put forth. Thanks for the help!!
The purchase price of a used bus is such a drop in the bucket if you're forking over fifty g's to someone to gut and paint it.
I'd be looking for top of the line buses and maybe even check out some dealers. 95% of the buses in FL are lower spec stuff that's been run hard. Check out west for the really awesome buses. And they're cheaper than the run of the mill stuff over here.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #53
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Hill AFB, Utah
Posts: 32
Alright, so I have been told that the DT466 is the way to go. I have a bus I found with a 444E. Would this still be an acceptable engine to push a full conversion through the mountains throughout the next few years? I was able to get the seller to $4k.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3572778365091/
ATHandBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #54
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,672
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHandBanana View Post
Alright, so I have been told that the DT466 is the way to go. I have a bus I found with a 444E. Would this still be an acceptable engine to push a full conversion through the mountains throughout the next few years? I was able to get the seller to $4k.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3572778365091/
I mean, it'll do it if you make it do it. But a bigger straight six is always preferable for pulling power.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #55
Bus Crazy
 
david.dgeorge07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,413
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
There’s no question that decent busses can be had for cheap, but if you are planning a significant build and are picky, paying more for a bus that is exactly what you want is the cheapest way to get what you want.

Swapping a transmission or adding air ride or dash AC orwhatever gets pricey fast and just buying the bus with everything you want is the cheapest way to get it that way, even if you pay a few grand more.

In my experience if you are driving in the mountains and you have a full size bus you want well over 200 HP, I have 210 and it is just barely enough to not feel silly. And the 545 tranny would be a very bad idea for a lot of mountain and highway driving.

Ideally get something that is has 250 HP or more and a 6 speed transmission like the 3060, highway gearing in the rear (mid fives or less if you have double overdrive), air ride, belly storage, dash AC, and pre emissions.

A bus like that will cost more, but if that’s the bus you want, busses are dirt cheap compared to cars. It’s a drop in the bucket if you are doing something nice with it.
__________________
My Build Thread:

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #56
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,400
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
There’s no question that decent busses can be had for cheap, but if you are planning a significant build and are picky, paying more for a bus that is exactly what you want is the cheapest way to get what you want.

Swapping a transmission or adding air ride or dash AC orwhatever gets pricey fast and just buying the bus with everything you want is the cheapest way to get it that way, even if you pay a few grand more.
.
Well said!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice needed, help please, new member

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.