Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: MVP-ER
Engine: Cummins 5.9L tan block, MD 3060
Question Auction in 1 hr. Yes or no?

2001 Thomas MVP-ER
152k miles
ISB CM550 5.9L 24V
AT 3060
VP44 (I know... will upgrade lifter, use FAAS filters, and relocate pump.)
Axle I think was 4.47.
I drive back roads (map a walking route, you will love it)
I want to go up hills, but okay with slow.
I live 172 miles from pickup.
Started up, sounded strong, and has 6 very good tires!!!

Should I jump, and if so, how high???????

Thanks for all the great threads I read to get to this point. I know this is not the best, but I really want rear engine, and I must act very soon to prevent impending doom. Income reduced by the pandemic.

Thank You, Stephanie

SMMTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: E350
Engine: Ford 7.3 NA
Rated Cap: Six window shuttle bus
I'm no expert but a little Google-Fu shows they go for around 4-5K. If you get that fuzzy feeling when looking at it and can afford it, I'd say GO FOR IT.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Had that fuzzy feeling the minute I saw the listing, and it was on my birthday!!
Worried about acting on that actually, but I sure want to. I was thinking same price range due to good rubber.
Thank You
Old 08-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
I hope you jumped. Looks like it could be a good bus. Good motor. Best tranny.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Closes in 27 min and then the fight. In a group of clones and mine has a dent on the storage door, I don't care. There are enough buses for every one in the auction now, but I only want mine. 3060 and tires stood out.
Thank you, fingers crossed.
Stephanie
Old 08-03-2020, 10:39 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

I knew the bus I bought was the model I wanted. I bought mine sight unseen on auction for $2285 with auction fees. At that price, I figured even if I had to replace something big (motor/tranny) I was still doing ok.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMMTX View Post
Closes in 27 min and then the fight. In a group of clones and mine has a dent on the storage door, I don't care. There are enough buses for every one in the auction now, but I only want mine. 3060 and tires stood out.
Thank you, fingers crossed.
Stephanie
What auction site are you using?
Old 08-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

That is more the price I would like to pay, but I have heard rear engines come at a premium. I have seen one of these for 95k wistful thinking there. 4-5k owner seller eBay and CL. At auction should be cheaper. Depends on how much someone else wants it I guess.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Public Surplus.
Actively...
Old 08-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

My very last bid before I quit was 3800. I decided if that didn't get it I would find an International instead. I got it!
I was bidding against a skoolie pretty sure with the same user name. Thanks so much for bugging out when you did!!!!! You are a Prince
Old 08-03-2020, 02:19 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Congrats! Hope it all pans out to be a gold nugget for you.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

That's awesome!!!! I can't wait to see pictures!
Old 08-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you, I see you have the same engine. The guys looking for speed don't think much of it, but they say there are plenty of parts out there. I have more concern for that Bosch. We will see... I live in unincorporated country, so if it needs too much to get running well I will build it out for a rental.
Looking forward to the path ahead.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:28 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Congrats! They're always best fresh from the school!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

I have heard that schools always do regular maintenance, this ISD says no records although factory shows recall work in 2009 whith them as owners. They are probably embarrassed by how many fuel pumps it has seen. Hope there is no other problem.
Can't wait to get those final measurements to fine tune my floor plan and dig in.
skoolie.net was not around when this dream began for me. There were a few hippies driving around Austin in buses I met, but no internet yet. You guys gave me the courage by showing me this is not impossible.
THANKS TO ALL WHO ASKED SMART QUESTIONS I DIDN'T KNOW I NEEDED TO KNOW AND THE ASSORTMENT OF OPINIONS GIVEN.
Stephanie
Old 08-12-2020, 05:39 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Thomas Built MVP-ER
Engine: 5.9 Cummis Tan Block
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMMTX View Post
My very last bid before I quit was 3800. I decided if that didn't get it I would find an International instead. I got it!
I was bidding against a skoolie pretty sure with the same user name. Thanks so much for bugging out when you did!!!!! You are a Prince

Hahaha! Stephanie if I'd known it was you I would have quit long time ago. I should have checked this site while bidding! I got the other bus from the same place bus 290. I drove it all the way back from tx to Cali!!. I feel so bad for not checking this thread the day of. I would have just focused on the bus 290. Anyways they are very solid buses! I did overheat but it was a fan clutch solenoid! And my guage doesn't work I ran her dry of fuel. With 5 gallons of fuel and starting fluid I was back on the road the next morning.

We made it. I did change the thermostat and water pump just in case. The fix to the solenoid problem was just running the fan 24/7 by removing one of the wires on the solenoid.

You got a solid bus!! I got bus #290 for $2550.
Our max was $3500 but we went over $300.
What a fight!! Wow. Let's talk more about upgrades to our engines~fuel related.

Congratulations once again!
Prince408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:47 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Glad you made it home!

Hi Prince. I got a great deal at 3800 no worries. I have six 50% tires, new front brakes, a tank of good diesel, no lights or buzzers, and a tan engine block. That means the heaviest duty Cummins makes (didn't know they were different!!!) One of the serendipitous outcomes of my bus adventure was that I picked a diesel guy across the street from Klein ISD to get fluids and such. Turns out he is not only one of the guys other mechanics around the area call, but that morning a mechanic walked in off the street with experience and certifications at Cummins and Dodge from previous employment. He was tired of corporate bull i guess and wanted to work for Kenneth Hagen of Hagen Automotive, Spring TX (NW suburb of Houston for anyone needing work in that area). He did my work as his monitored proof that he knew more than Kenneth about my bus lol. Told me that my bus has all custom HD OEM upgrades. Thomas builds by hand. You won't find schematics from them. I will attach what I found elsewhere. I got Drivers Manual and Service Manuel from dealer. I can't email it out too big not sure how dealer did, so ask yours. Also need to find out if I have VP44. Pretty sure and big weak point. Guess that's what you meant by fuel upgrades. I have heard upgrade lifter pump and injectors. Heard FAAS Platinum mentioned. Learning there is a difference between the big pickup truck forums who are looking for every ounce of hp, and us who just need to keep driving forever lol. I had a sign of fuel issue. Steep grade... top end 35 mph and empty. My tranny temp gauge out too. Everything else super perfect so far.
I picked mine up yesterday. Nice folks at Klein. After day in the diesel spa (little over 1k but cleaned up some things that needed it), drove 180 miles no inspection or registration. Tried... I did have insurance from Progressive that you can get online. It will be canceled cause not an RV yet, but would have helped if pulled over... We had a perfect route planned to slip home... almost perfect. I missed a dog leg in Kyle and instead of drawing attention turning around, I pulled into a neighborhood to drive around. Sheriff car parked on the block and suddenly a dead end. Got turned around in the culdesac circle (I am installing a hidden cutoff switch for that backup bell) and out of there. I guess you must have driven all the way illegal. Good job. Cali native here. Oakland, but lived in Berkeley. I am going to be working on interior for awhile so let me know if you decide on a lifter pump. This is a COVID plan B for me, as well as my lifelong dream. Renting out my house to avoid losing it. I have room on property for bus and yard for my dogs. Storage and so forth. A big plus that I got a super great bus I can travel in. Rear engine was a must for me. I have driven trucks and there is no firewall that is enough.
Glad you made it home. If you want to keep in touch by email or text, you can PM me. We have exactly the same bus I bet, we should take advantage.
Happy Trails, Stephanie
Attached Thumbnails
Day One.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thomas MVP-ER schematic factory.pdf (229.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-18-2020, 12:54 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Thomas Built MVP-ER
Engine: 5.9 Cummis Tan Block
Oh man I didn't know about the tan engine either.
That's good to hear! Does that mean my bus has the same upgrades?

I got the manuals from the dealer just now thanks!

I'm gonna look more into doing the fuel upgrades this weekend. We have already removed the seats. One other thing I noticed is I have bubbles coming from my coolant expansion tank (meaning I have air going into the cooling system). Did tons of research and It's either my compressor is bad or head gasket for the compressor is leaking air into coolant. I've changed the radiator cap to a 15psi from a 13psi. That stopped the hissing noise but still gots that air problem. No overheating issues.

My temp gauge is out too and my fuel gauge isn't accurate at all.

I'm gonna PM you shortly
Prince408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buy a bus, good deal, vp44