Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Want a Thomas
Rated Cap: want a 30-35 footer
Auction with 24 Blue Birds in Miami

24 Blue Birds for auction here: https://bidera.hibid.com/lots/?q=bus&cat=
72 and 45 passenger pusher All Americans and one dog nose Vision. Most look to have Cat engines

semipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Looks like some nice buses but with almost 9 days left it's too early to get excited. Rear engine, dual air conditioners. Looks like they're all CAT powered and none mention the transmission.. Some of them have absurdly low miles too.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Looks like some nice buses but with almost 9 days left it's too early to get excited. Rear engine, dual air conditioners. Looks like they're all CAT powered and none mention the transmission.. Some of them have absurdly low miles too.
Having 24 end at the same time should make getting one at a decent price doable. I might be interested after I found out none have 545's. The Virginia auction on one bus had 33 bids, 30 of them in the last 20 minutes.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Want a Thomas
Rated Cap: want a 30-35 footer
Am I posting this sort of thing in the right place? As I'm looking for the bus I want I'm coming across a lot of others that may interest some here.
semipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:23 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
check these out good... if anyomne can go in person.. some asreas of florida are known for beating the crap outta their busses or they have wicked tons of humidty and may have black mold.. mold isnt such an issue if you plan to completely gut your hus down to bare metal all around as you'll get rid of it.. but if your conversion isnt about a full gut then beware of south florida busses..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:08 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
check these out good... if anyomne can go in person.. some asreas of florida are known for beating the crap outta their busses or they have wicked tons of humidty and may have black mold.. mold isnt such an issue if you plan to completely gut your hus down to bare metal all around as you'll get rid of it.. but if your conversion isnt about a full gut then beware of south florida busses..

-Christopher
I looked them up on the BB portal and the build sheet indicates they come from the Miami-Dade school district. I picked 2 at random and they both had the AT545 so I think its safe to assume they all do.
Willie_McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy View Post
I looked them up on the BB portal and the build sheet indicates they come from the Miami-Dade school district. I picked 2 at random and they both had the AT545 so I think its safe to assume they all do.
I checked most of them out and a few have an Allison 2000 popping up. I believe every one of those has problems listed.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

-Christopher
They look typical. Missing parts and the exporters/dealers already have bids in on the decent ones most likely. Florida doesn't buy bus parts they cannibalize buses. Even for petty stuff like bulbs.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:42 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
They look typical. Missing parts and the exporters/dealers already have bids in on the decent ones most likely. Florida doesn't buy bus parts they cannibalize buses. Even for petty stuff like bulbs.
Are the dealers as critical about 545's as we are? I would think if it's in good condition , they buy it to flip and we all know few people buying buses are aware of how important the tranny model is. My experience in the last year has shown the dealers do little if anything to the buses they get at auction. Reminds me of the local wrecker auctions here, the Barker yells "lot #1270, at this time a worker will start the car, put it in gear, roll forward a foot, put it in reverse and roll back a foot while the Barker yells. It runs, it goes forward, it goes backwards, what do I have bid?"
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:51 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Are the dealers as critical about 545's as we are? I would think if it's in good condition , they buy it to flip and we all know few people buying buses are aware of how important the tranny model is.
During my months of searching before I found you guys, I called dealership after dealership after visiting their sites. I think only 1 knew HOW to check which tranny it was, and the rest had no clue what model or how to check.

They care very little outside of the Skoolie specific dealerships, and the only one of those I called was up in Denver. They knew their stuff, but also came with a pretty high price (although I think they are stripped already).

With all these large equipment and trucking dealerships I tried, I'm surprised none of them were concerned with the transmissions on the school buses. Every single darn dump truck and semi I saw had actual models and makes, not just "Allison".
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote