Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
BGA prices just doubled!

Used School Buses For Sale - Better Buses @ Better Prices - We deliver school buses nation wide

20 grand for a 99 BB TC!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Who the #$%& is buying these?
Do the phony title change and layaway program mean the bus is worth four times market value?
Are they reflecting an actual market value??

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:11 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Used School Buses For Sale - Better Buses @ Better Prices - We deliver school buses nation wide

20 grand for a 99 BB TC!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Who the #$%& is buying these?
Do the phony title change and layaway program mean the bus is worth four times market value?
Are they reflecting an actual market value??

No market over here. I may pay a little more if the title was already changed... But not 16 - 18 k more lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Holy sh!t. That's more then what most have into the entire conversion.
Booyah45828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Lady I met paid em nearly ten grand for an 80's BB gasser.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
So..................?
They are a business, they been around how long?
Your not going to be around long if you price stuff low at the start.
There are buyers out there that will bite at a certain price level and maybe that is their business model.
Try to sell high and adjust down as time goes by.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Maybe their strategy is to mark them @$20k, then sell them easily at $10-15K, when folks figure out what a "good deal" they are getting?

I talked to a very large bus dealer in Birmingham, thinking I might pick one up for $5k, they had NOTHING under $10k, and when asked why they mark them up so much - he responded "these buses are completely gone thru!"

I asked "You mean you wash them?" He giggled, and nodded slightly.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
So..................?
They are a business, they been around how long?
Your not going to be around long if you price stuff low at the start.
There are buyers out there that will bite at a certain price level and maybe that is their business model.
Try to sell high and adjust down as time goes by.
I am not saying that they don't have the right to price their busses at what the market will take. I just can't afford those prices.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Old 03-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
The people that probably buy those BGA buses are: 1. Have extra money in the bank. 2. Just finished watching a YouTube video about skoolies. 3. Will get bored of the skoolie and spend another large amount of money on their next toy.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Another issue facing future skoolie builders will be supply. At least of anything that a "normal" human being can work on/maintain. The late model skoolies are getting as bad as autos in that they have so many (unnecessary) computers and sensors on board that no one but the factory can ever hope to diagnose anything, let alone fix something. Even five years ago, I had to pay twice the price of computer controlled 4BT engine to get an older all mechanical. Even the factory guys hated working on the later models.

I for one do not need or want any integrated chip system making decisions about my driving, parking or anything else.

I am picturing a day in the not so distant future when 85% of all the vehicles on the road are "self driving"...then...a minor solar flare knocks out a few GPS sats and the internet goes down. Instantly, 12,867,312 people are whacked in one giant crash & burn. Just hope I'm somewhere out in the desert when it happens.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oricha1984 View Post
The people that probably buy those BGA buses are: 1. Have extra money in the bank. 2. Just finished watching a YouTube video about skoolies. 3. Will get bored of the skoolie and spend another large amount of money on their next toy.

And then try and sell them for what they paid... I have talked to a few in my search. The one guy paid close to 10k for a 2001 BB AA.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I am picturing a day in the not so distant future when 85% of all the vehicles on the road are "self driving"...then...a minor solar flare knocks out a few GPS sats and the internet goes down. Instantly, 12,867,312 people are whacked in one giant crash & burn. Just hope I'm somewhere out in the desert when it happens.
You heard it here first, folks!
Old 03-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
Folks do it here too, pay 3-4k at auction then wipe the lot number off and price at 15k, still havent seen one move off the lot I pass by slmost daily.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
chili: that must be the cypress bus barn? where all the shorties like mine from CyFair went??

BGA is high - sad to say one of mine is from there.. though granted I paid too much for it.. I didnt pay anywhere close to their prices now...

how about this one?? VT-365 and not even air-conditioned!!
2007 IC BE200 VT365 Diesel Hydraulic Brakes 5 Row Used bus@ BGA School Buses, Inc. Hudson, FL

contrast.. an Air conditioned CE with VT-365 at another dealer..
Bus Sales New Used, School Buses Commercial Church Bus Airport Shuttles Limo Buses Wheelchair Vans all on Sale!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
chili: that must be the cypress bus barn? where all the shorties like mine from CyFair went??

BGA is high - sad to say one of mine is from there.. though granted I paid too much for it.. I didnt pay anywhere close to their prices now...

how about this one?? VT-365 and not even air-conditioned!!
2007 IC BE200 VT365 Diesel Hydraulic Brakes 5 Row Used bus@ BGA School Buses, Inc. Hudson, FL

contrast.. an Air conditioned CE with VT-365 at another dealer..
Bus Sales New Used, School Buses Commercial Church Bus Airport Shuttles Limo Buses Wheelchair Vans all on Sale!

-Christopher
Don Brown doesn't seem to be as mark up crazy. He is a bit high, but not "never going to look at a bus there high" if you know what I am saying. Lol

Old 03-14-2017, 07:03 PM   #16
Bus Geek

i agree.. from what I can see don brown sources a lot of his busses locally or somewhat close by.. and seems from what I can tell to have decent stuff... plus he sells more than school busses.. the markup on shuttles and new busses is pretty high..so it may be he can source school busses on new bus trades or such where he gets them below even auction prices,.. after all most auction sites place a 12-15% buyers premium on.. and some auctioneers even charge the seller a fee as well to list items.. so if they can buy busses bypassing the auction.. there is a built in margin already against the same bus in an auction... minus the exporters and bid-em-up-because-its-less-than-BGA bidder..

we mainly bid on auctions here... however there are a VAST number of school busses out there that never see an auction site.. even a few here have been lucky enough to get a sweet deal by going to their local schools and finding a bus directly.. avoiding the fees and markups of auctions or dealers..

to BGA's credit I believe they are selling a tron of busses to exporters.. i watched first hand a guy come in while I was there and pick out 10 or more busses without even as much as starting them, driving them, etc.. just pointed and said "that one, that one, etc"... I didnt hear the price part but from the way the guy seemed he didnt m,uch care.. he just wanted the busses and fast...

BGA will do all the paperwork and deliver them right to the port to be shipped.. so said exporter doesnt have to fly a bunch of people over, worry about Visa's and passports and driver licenses... the buyer flies home and his busses show up in a couple weeks to his country...

a bus is worth what you can get someone to buy it for... no less no more.. their business model may not align with bus enthusiasts like ourselves... but may very well with exporters and maybe even churches.. where they can completely prepare the bus for church use... school equipment removal, servicing, painting, cleaning, etc.. Ready-to-Fly so to say...

the average buyer here has a much different need and model.. delivery, paperwork, and many services arent needed or wanted or afforded from members here.. making dealer-buys often not advantageous..

however bus dealers ARE like car dealers.. you CAN negotiate them just like when you buy yourself a car..

I do feel there are a couple factors in why bus prices seem to be rising.

1. those that feel the apocalypse is coming with the election of trump.. want to be mobile, off-grid and prepare to live off the land.. busses can be converted to burn all different kinds of fuels.. and are a pretty solid structure against wildlife,, and are suitabke for off-grid living.

2. the tiny-house movement.. - its now the "*IN*" thing to do.. ditch the mortgage, ditch the rent, esp with many mobile careers.. live in a bus..

3. what will trump do to the education budget? will he slash it hard? some may be fearing it and not selling off their old busses like they might have.. as budget may not exist to buy new ones.. - wait N see..

4. High RV prices - along with the tiny home movement has been an increase in the popularity of RVing... my business is hotels.. and steadily the past few years we have seen occupancy rates and room rates ($) go up.. making hotel stays expensive, restaraunt prices are sky high, as are airfares,., that all makes RVing with a family an economical as well as the flexibility... when traditional RV prices are up.. it means theres going to be more that say "lets build our own.." and another skoolie is born..

-Christopher
Old 03-14-2017, 09:18 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
But I thought "the wall" was going to fix everything...

Old 03-14-2017, 09:25 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by oricha1984 View Post
But I thought "the wall" was going to fix everything...

Will just mean more buses will go via seaport.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:23 AM   #19
Bus Geek

That's where a bunch of BGA busses go .. seaport , now if the trade agreement between USA and CALA is tightened then it might make exporting them south tougher..

The other thing this is 10 years now into the beginnings of heavy emission controls.. some 07s were delivered with them. Many dealers and others may be hogging up anything pre 04,( tier 1 emissions) .. 07/08 and up are tough buys blind.. we don't see much of it yet but we will.. and ECCB nightmare of wires in his amtran would be 10X in a new bus.. a couple botched regen cycles can make a DT466 a boat anchor
Christopher
Old 03-15-2017, 05:59 AM   #20
Bus Geek

96 months at 24%

INSANE pricing
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote