Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Bluebird 28ft for sale

If you search for "Rivetboy" under Skoolie, every post and picture will come up and you can see the scope of work.

Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:55 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
That is actually the bus I wanted when I first started looking into buying a bus. Saw one in SoCal for $10K. Kept looking...found mine instead.

Yours rides higher, and has the side door on the driver's side. Nice! But not at $10K for a near 30-year old shell and drivetrain.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
That is actually the bus I wanted when I first started looking into buying a bus. Saw one in SoCal for $10K. Kept looking...found mine instead.

Yours rides higher, and has the side door on the driver's side. Nice! But not at $10K for a near 30-year old shell and drivetrain.
That is a 0 time drivetrain that is smog exempt. But hey, maybe you wanted a bus, am guessing her, that when the dreaded check engine light comes on you are ok taking it in to the diesel mechanic. It is a shell no doubt but it is a mechanically sound shell waiting for some one to do the fun part now.Also the money in the engine, trans, brakes, trans cooler, SS lines etc the new Kelly 22.5 tires all of the instruments, electrical components, wire and the original cost of the bus is a lot more than 10K. A lot more! And that does not include one minute of the hundreds and hundreds of hours of skilled labor invested
Old 12-29-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Are you saying the motor and tranny are rebuilt and unrun? I didn't notice that part in the other post you placed on selling it. If that is the case, then rock-on, even with the AT545, if that is what the other post refers to:
1991 Bluebird 28 ft 6bt/545 For Sale

Still, the wiring being uninstalled is a lot of work.

My bus had a check engine light on when I bought it. Insignificant problem. But for $2285, I figured I could spend several thousand to fix it and still not come close to $10K. But I'm a mechanic/technician myself, so I knew I could fix whatever myself, anyway.

Too pricey for me, but someone else down there in S. SoCal where rent is full-blown crazyness may find it appealing and jump on it!

Good luck and Aloha!
Old 12-29-2019, 08:32 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Yeah dude rebuilt the 5.9 himself and had the 545 rebuilt.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:33 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yeah dude rebuilt the 5.9 himself and had the 545 rebuilt.
Hanging around hotrodders, gas and diesel, I have met quite a few folks that are capable of doing a quality engine rebuild themselves.

Unfortunately, I have also seen enough poorly done rebuilds that I would need some serious convincing before I would buy from a seller that tells me that they rebuilt the engine themselves.

A documented rebuild, with receipts, from a reputable rebuilder is what I would be looking for.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:00 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Hanging around hotrodders, gas and diesel, I have met quite a few folks that are capable of doing a quality engine rebuild themselves.

Unfortunately, I have also seen enough poorly done rebuilds that I would need some serious convincing before I would buy from a seller that tells me that they rebuilt the engine themselves.

A documented rebuild, with receipts, from a reputable rebuilder is what I would be looking for.
and with a warranty. Not an "I promise your money back" kinda thing. And a freshly rebuilt engine with no miles means an untested rebuild. Let's see it run 10K miles then ask if it is a quality rebuild. I was watching one of those "hot rod builder" shows on cable when stuck in a hotel one year long ago, and a "pro," the best in town, rebuilt a motor for them and it leaked oil at startup. Had to pull it and rebuild again. Everybody makes mistakes.

And a rebuilt AT545? Worth not much to me. A rebuilt AT643 maybe.

But that motor would be good for a vegi-oil burner. I don't want to buy your bus, but if I was in the market and not so broke, I might think $5000 on the very high-end for the vegi-oil reason. Rebuilt and all, it is still old stuff that will only get harder to find parts for. Still, it is a long way from being a daily driver, it sounds like, and in that condition I would pull the AT545 and put in the AT643, convert to vegi, and also hy-boost it. Then that bus would be worth the investment to me. But you really have to want that bus make/model.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:05 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
judging from the posts from the OP in the past, I'd buy that rig and trust it ... surely seems from his build that he knows what he is doing..

I dont know how much he wants for said rig, however if its reasonable. then its likely a lot better than gambling with an auction or dealer rig you have no idea runs correctly or not..

if the bus is so expensive that the engine rebuild is essentially part of the cost so pricey that a shop did it then I might be inclined to pass..

you are going to $$PAY$$ for an engine / trans rebuild by a shop with a warranty.. thats a fact..

im also guessing from this guy's posts that you could run this bus and judge yourself if you think it works right... if I remember right he has fully completed the rebuild / install of the engine, trans

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:12 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Rivetboy- what's got you selling it as soon as you got it running?
You were so gung-ho about this build!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Hey CB After 4 months of sick relatives, probate in another state and a few other things We have decided to rightsize ourselves. Retirement has caused us to look at what is important and finishing this bus aint. The bus was a fun project but I want our airplane back in the hangar. I do not care if I sell it if nobody is interested it will drive it out to our river house and I will probably build a diesel rat rod out of it or part it out at my leisure. 10k is a good deal to the right person. I have well over a 1000 hours in this build and say at $25 an hour that is $25K in labor. I was trying to recoup some of the cash spent on it but meh . Enjoyed your comments. I enjoy the airplane way more than driving anywhere and retirement makes it easy. Tree Tree Foxtrot Kilo departing 25 left
Attached Thumbnails
20171014_100229.jpg   20180203_164335.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Thanks for the kind words Christopher good luck in all of you future projects. Been nice reading the knowledge that you have shared.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I totally get it.. ya gotta fly when flying is your passion... nothing else will do!.. ive got some in flight under my belt.. solo'd a coupole times in a 172... driving is my passion.. Camping or Pooing in a bucket isnt.. so Alas why my busses all have seats and fit nicely in hotel parking lots

totally dig your style! Wheels up to ya!!
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:40 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

Agree been there and done that and had to use the Tshirt to clean up the mess. Cost me $1800.00.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote