Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

bus engine comparsion

Does anyone know of a bus engine comparison chart. I want a skoolie. But know NOthing about buses. I have been searching, but haven't found anything concrete. I think I want an International bus ( because I heard they can be easier and cheaper to work on) and I would like a diesel engine ( because I believe the engines are supposed to last longer and I like the option of converting it to SVO).

any good resources? of comparison charts?

mamacass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I don't have a chart, but my favorite diesel engines for a bus (or truck) are in this order and pre-emissions years (2003 and older)......

International DT466
Cummins 8.3L
International T444E (Same as Ford 7.3L Powerstroke)
Cummins 5.9L
International DT360

I like the International DT466 for it's reliability and especially it's power. These engines can also be rebuilt in-frame.

The Cummins 8.3L is an awesome engine and a powerhouse. Pretty reliable and usually found on large busses.

The T444E and 7.3L Powerstroke engines are very reliable, parts are abundant, and great engines, but seem under-powered in full size vehicles since they range from 190-210 HP

Cummins 5.9L is an awesome little engine and pretty reliable, but like the T444E, they don't have a whole lot of HP, but still get the job done. Parts are also readily available.

DT360 is an in-line 6 cylinder and another reliable engine, but also is no power house.

I do not like CAT engines. Some of them like the 3116 are pretty decent, but parts are expensive and trying to find a Cat mechanic or someone familiar with them is not like finding a Cummins or Powerstroke mechanic.

My opinion on the popular diesel bus engines. Others may have different opinions.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
be careful when looking at T-444E's they were made in a 175 HP vairant thats fairly common on school busses.. and while reliable, the 175 HP version is slow!

I have 190HP in my T-444E short bus and it works great.. on a full size bus you would be slowing down on the hills for sure.

Cummins 8.3 can be rebuilt in-frame as well as the DT-466

alot depends on your plans for the bus.. weekend trips to the lake? or cross country tours over mountains and towing a car?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:56 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

living full time. Likely over mountains towing a car.
mamacass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
If you're towing a car you'll want to try real hard to get a transmission with one or more locking gears. Typically those better transmissions are found with the bigger engines, but plenty of exceptions exist.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Towing a toad or trailer through the mountains is going to require one of the bigger engines AND a locking tranny in order to avoid excess angst.

Hard to find but an 8.3 and 5-6 speed locking Allie would be about as good as it gets in my mind. An old 545 would not last long pulling that much weight and be scary as hell on downhills...nor will it handle the engine power necessary to get all that gear up the hill in the first place.

Just my 2 centavos.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the other thing too is that the inline 6 cylinder engines have a lot better holding power downhill and brute pulling power uphill than the V-8's do.. a DT466 or a cummins 8.3 are my favorites for brute force torque
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote