Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2020, 10:08 PM   #1
Scared to Post

Bus for sale....

Hey y'all--

My wife and I are considering building a skoolie as an adventure vehicle for our growing family--Something to ski, mountain bike, and rock climb out of, primarily. This will not be for full time living, but for 2-4 week long adventures, and for weekend trips, particularly in the winter. We have one little one and a dog now, but likely will have another one or two little ones in the next few years. Our total budget for building out an ideal adventure rig is between 25 and 35k, and we'd like to get at least about 100k miles out of it once built with "normal" maintenance--oil changes, tires, small mechanical issues, but not something like replacing a motor or transmission.

I found this bus on our local craigslist and was wondering what y'all think--Price seems high, but if work has been done and its in good shape, maybe is worth it?

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/c...201003458.html

Also, if any of y'all have the right vehicle for me, reach out, I'd love to find it!

Matt

mbakerwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #2

That bus is VERY high. If you are in the Arizona area I would check out AAA Bus. They have amazing buses and the guys over there are top notch and have some of the cleanest buses I have ever seen while searching. AAAbussales. You can do research on them and see that a lot of youtubers started going here because their service is amazing.
SootyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:55 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
or you just buy a motorhome...like this 2006 v10 one for $24k with only 43k miles on it.
I guess if you have huge amount of free time and bags full of excess money that old school bus might make sense.

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:28 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
or you just buy a motorhome...like this 2006 v10 one for $24k with only 43k miles on it.
I guess if you have huge amount of free time and bags full of excess money that old school bus might make sense.

My parents are selling a similar one. 50k miles. $15k.

But I doubt op wants one.

If you or anyone is interested hit me up and I'll get pics and info.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:52 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
You would think with the pandemic going on, RV's and the like would fetch more money. Strange that school buses are selling for more than ever yet RV's can be had for next to nothing. If you really needed a home on a dime, that's the way to go.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:54 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
If you are remotely interested in the bus in the listing, you should contact the seller and find out the engine and transmission. No, "Allison" is NOT the model of the transmission, it is the manufacturer. Ask for photos of the undercarriage.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:56 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
You would think with the pandemic going on, RV's and the like would fetch more money. Strange that school buses are selling for more than ever yet RV's can be had for next to nothing. If you really needed a home on a dime, that's the way to go.
The pandemic definitely helped the new RV market but it is odd that the used market hasn't seen an obvious bounce. I predict in about a year or two the used market bottom will fall out when all these new RVs are no longer needed
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:09 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
The pandemic definitely helped the new RV market but it is odd that the used market hasn't seen an obvious bounce. I predict in about a year or two the used market bottom will fall out when all these new RVs are no longer needed

yep and im gonna be waiting in the wings for a nice hardly-used motorhome.. being into busses, a couple people already have come to me and asked "do i really need to do all this work to my new camper all the time?" meaning winterizing and maintaining, cleaning and such..

to the OP. you can definitely do better than 12k for your bus.. even one that has a very solid and capable drivetrain. ive also heard good things about AAA bus sales.. and of course you can go to the auction sites too and look asround.. man y times if you are looking on the auction sites you can find the contact info for the actual seller in the listing, and ask them for any extra info about the bus.. maint items, majore repairs, etc..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FC
Engine: Cat C-7
We built ours in a similar way, as an Extended Weekender, if you will. It sits in our driveway most of the time but is flexible enough for the family to use anytime for taking the ATV's to the desert or travel for a couple of weeks or the boat to the lake, etc. A commercial vehicle is generally stronger for carrying, towing and rough roads than a low slung motorhome on a smaller chassis, smaller tires, etc. Consider an RV style flush toilet rather than a compost toilet for this kind of build.
ChuckRatto is offline   Reply With Quote