Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2012, 02:45 AM   #1

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Bus for sale, FL

Hola Skoolies,
I have a 1972 Wayne school bus in Tampa, FL that I have to sell. I love him to death, but a move means I will have to sell him. He was converted to propane and has air brakes. He has (i believe) 8 outlets, and the converter chord to plug in to an outdoor outlet just has to be finished (already purchased). Comes with extra Allure brand flooring, 2 luvsacs (worth over 1k), futon bed (plus 2 6ft long bunk beds!). Everything in the photos will come with the bus, minus one or 2 personal items. There are also a few tools that are part of the deal...in case that makes or breaks it for you! The windows have been limo grade tinted, extra of which also comes with the bus. Please let me know if you know of anyone who may be interested!
Attached Thumbnails
bedroom.jpg   wayne.jpg   After!-1.jpg  

hiphippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #2

Re: Bus for sale, FL

There is still a large blue, water tank on the bus, but no bathroom or sewer tanks. I was hoping to get what I put into it back, so starting to list at 9k. Willing to negotiate.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #3

There is a water tank, but no bathroom or sewer hook up. Priced at 8k but willing to negotiate.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphippie
...I was hoping to get what I put into it back...
Rule #1 of bus conversions of ANY kind.... You will never get your money back when you sell. Makes no difference how nice of a job you did on it. You are priced waaaay too high. Cut it in half and you are still too high. No toilet/shower? Slice more off as it will need to be remodeled to get them in. You did not insulate... Need to strip the unit in order to insulate and reinstall everything, so slice off more $$. Basically, you have a really nice metal tent. Good for weekend camping in campgrounds with a bathhouse (getting to be less of those) or for "tailgating" and the lack of a toilet might hinder your sale there. So, pricewise, you are down to not much more than an empty shell. For what you have, I would say $3000 to $3500. But even if we were in the market, I wouldn't buy it. Too much tear out needed.

My daughter wants a skoolie to fulltime in. I would tell her pass on this. Too expensive and too much work. Too many better suited to remodel for sale on this board for much less. And we have already discussed what she needs to get. A mostly or fully converted skoolie that we can remodel for her only slightly (artist and "requires" an art studio). We refuse to convert from scratch again AND while on the road or in campgrounds.

But I'm FRUGAL (not cheap ). We only paid $1400 for our bus (40 ft) and, once converted, will have added about $5K to it... including the washer and dryer I want. And we are fulltimers building a fulltiming rig.

I have a 1977 Class C that we bought in 2006 for $2K, put roughly $1K and sweat (repairs, new appliances, new AC/LP water heater) back into it, so we can sell it for $3K? I think not! It runs pretty good, that makes it worth roughly $1K MAX. Realistically, we can unload it fast for $500. We lived in it from 2006 to 2010. My daughter is now living in it (I need to title it into her name at some point, but she's not going anywhere yet). Have we gotten our $$ out of it? YES! Will we let it go for "less than we have in it"? YES!

There's your rant timmylc!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Yea, Lorna, don't hold back

Your views are great. I guess reality does that. Tell about the real world. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Hey, Frank-id is buying the bus for $9K!

Frank,
You know as well as the rest of us on this board that guy will not get that kind of money out of any conversion. Even highway coaches are not selling for their "normal" prices in the current economy.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Bus Geek

This is coming from a newbeeeee so I see it as this:
That platform would be a 3500 dollar bus(the teadius task of seat removal is worth a grand),its been converted to run on propane so its a low compresion gas engine?
Mileage would suck badley maybe 5 or 6 mpg(guessing)
It hasn't been completly hooked to shore power(by op's wording...and he's doesn't seem sure of it actually)
No plumbing done..
No extra insulation added
And as for the add-on $$ bedding...to me a prospective bus buyer...so what?
I see it as a project that would be slow and $$ to run.
I have looked at several peoples bus projects and it's like the "rock crawler" projects or even full off body resto's of rare cars...they will never be "worth" what you have in them to another person.
I see things like "limo tint" windows and think..."damn another heat sink"

Enough of my rant...sorry if I upset folks.

I am just so tired of seeing what i consider overpriced partial conversions of anything,you get into a hobbie/sport etc to have fun and enjoy the project...you almost never make $$ off of one...peace....out
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Well, nobody on this board is going to buy that bus for anywhere near that price, but it's all about what market you're in. HipHippie might find someone less informed about bus conversions who falls in love with it and shells out the cash. Good luck! But yeah, what you have there is really just a partial (quickie) conversion at best, and an old bus to boot. HipHippie I'm sorry if you overpaid and/or overspent during your ownership, but I agree it really isn't worth more than $3K-$4K in this market.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

Heck if he gets 9k for that,i got a bb class A conver ,,got $15.000 in it was asking $10,000.for it and mine has hot and cold running water with maid service..i take it ,he do's not live in the real world. ??? and the way it looks he's lucky to get $4,000.i had to when he said 9k....

has they said ,,,come on man get real.....................lol

no no no i donot smoke it anymore,,,,,iam tried of wakeing up on the floor....
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:54 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

does the maid dispense anything other than hot and cold water?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9

smart ass to u 49...she a robot
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Hiphippie, sell the expensive bed separately. Its absence won't affect what your bus is worth and you'll likely lose less than if you let the bed go with the bus. The above remarks reveal the price reality in all its ugliness. I'm glad I know about it now, before getting a bus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
I dunno...I think dark tint is popular in the desert Southwest (Lorna would know better than I, living in NM) to keep the sun out. A friend of mine bought a used car that had made its way to Nebraska from Albuquerque; it had limo tint and my friend got a warning from Omaha police to remove the tint or get a ticket (laws vary by state). My girlfriend had a Plymouth Voyager with middling tinted glass (people in it were still visible to outsiders) and it surrre made a difference in comfort for the person on the sunny side of the van.

Could insulation be a more important factor? My 30+ year old Winnebago doesn't get as ferociously hot as a car does even though it's essentially a Styrofoam cooler on wheels.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphippie
...I was hoping to get what I put into it back...
Rule #1 of bus conversions of ANY kind.... You will never get your money back when you sell. Makes no difference how nice of a job you did on it....
<snip>

I have a 1977 Class C that we bought in 2006 for $2K, put roughly $1K and sweat (repairs, new appliances, new AC/LP water heater) back into it, so we can sell it for $3K? I think not! It runs pretty good, that makes it worth roughly $1K MAX. Realistically, we can unload it fast for $500. We lived in it from 2006 to 2010. My daughter is now living in it (I need to title it into her name at some point, but she's not going anywhere yet). Have we gotten our $$ out of it? YES! Will we let it go for "less than we have in it"? YES!
Winnebago brand products and Dodge chassis have a cult following; therefore I hope I can get a little more out of my '76 Class C than that. Nevertheless, the only reason we could get anywhere near what my girlfriend and I put into the rig is the fact that I inherited it (i.e., I got it for "free.") I plan on remodeling the bathroom so we can use the shower, because right now the access door is too high and narrow for anyone larger and less limber than a teenage female gymnast. Will my improvements increase the appeal to buyers? Yes. Recover the cost of said project? No.

Lorna's experiences illustrate quite vividly that, whether it's an old stix-&-staples RV or a skoolie, "blue-chip home on wheels" is an oxymoron.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #14

HUGE thanks to such a loving community reception for a newbie! (SO much sarcasm) I have NO idea what it is worth, you are right. I didn't expect to get any bites at this level, but rather list it high than get 15 responses b.c I low balled it. Also, I'm a girl, so you can call the idiot a she in any following rude remarks. I don't know much about the electrical because I hired someone to do it right, instead of guessing at it myself. The beginning of the conversion wasn't done by my, but you can look at old pictures on the 5gypsykings account. I have decided not to sell it, but I hope you give others a warmer reception than I received. Looking forward to learning more, and making Wayne a better bus for it!
Thanks for your feedback
Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E

Welcome to the forum, sorry nobody welcomed you sooner. Thats cool that your going to keep your bus, do you get to travel in it much? How about some more pictures, I Like the clean simple look it has. Hope all is well with your move. Cheers
Old 03-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #16

Thank you!! I love looking at all the fabulous conversions on here, so inspiring! I understand that I am new to this, and to those more experienced, I must look silly. I am planning a BIG cross country drive soon, hoping to use some online media to educate others on how awesome skoolies are. Thanks for the welcome
Old 03-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Engine: DT466E

Don't worry about the silly part. Please feel free to ask questions, there really is a wealth of great infortmation on this site. Occassionally rude comments are made, but overall the people here are very helpful and understanding. After all we are or were newbies to this. Cheers
Old 03-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Yeah, some of us are complete idiots...that's why we have a skoolie
Old 03-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger

Price / value of a conversion is just one of those topics that gets people in the mood to throw mud... could be that some people have been in your shoes and feel embarrassed *shrug* . Good luck and have fun.

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Hiphippie, sorry your start here was rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
I dunno...My girlfriend had a Plymouth Voyager with [medium-dark] tinted glass (people in it were still visible to outsiders) and it surrre made a difference in comfort for the person on the sunny side of the van.
You can be "brand new" to Skoolie.net and still teach the older dogs new tricks. How do you like the limo tint? Does it have a benefit like my g.f.'s Voyager mentioned above? It looks like "5gypsykings" didn't have tint on it and wonder if you got to feel a difference before-vs.-after adding it.