Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
How would one add air ride to their rig?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
It would be quite an undertaking. A new Hendrickson rear unit is around 5 or 6 grand. Then there's installing it.
Or one could get a donor bus.

If one wants air ride that bad though its best to stop now, sell, and get another bus with air ride from the get go.
I use to be part of the extreme rock crawling scene. Fabbing suspension isn't really very hard. This would just be on a much larger scale. Build a 4 link, add a couple airbags, a level indicator, tie into the existing air system. Using 4 level indicators it wouldn't even be very hard to have the system level each corner independently. Sure, there will be cost involved, there is with everything you do making a school bus into a RV/Home. But nowhere near $5K.

Just like the air over hydraulic bottle jacks I plan on using as stabilizer/leveling jacks. I think I can get that done for a less than $500, whereas the big leveling systems run about $5K. I'm not sure why so many seem reluctant to tie into the existing compressed air system these busses already come with.

JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
I use to be part of the extreme rock crawling scene. Fabbing suspension isn't really very hard. This would just be on a much larger scale. Build a 4 link, add a couple airbags, a level indicator, tie into the existing air system. Using 4 level indicators it wouldn't even be very hard to have the system level each corner independently. Sure, there will be cost involved, there is with everything you do making a school bus into a RV/Home. But nowhere near $5K.

Just like the air over hydraulic bottle jacks I plan on using as stabilizer/leveling jacks. I think I can get that done for a less than $500, whereas the big leveling systems run about $5K. I'm not sure why so many seem reluctant to tie into the existing compressed air system these busses already come with.
Well you should go into the bus suspension business.
Its all so heavy duty most of us wouldn't dream of trying to fabricate suspension parts. These buses aren't toys like 4x4's.
Adding a torque arm and its mounts to the diff and frame would take some real expertise.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote