Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2019, 12:55 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Yes, I live in my bus. It is my only home.
I hope you didn't take my last post as callous, just making a point.
You'd mentioned replacing the engine. With what? I doubt a Euro diesel could be easily made to fit, and an entirely new, even if only new to you, 444 engine over there will be insanely expensive.
I don't intend to piddle in your Muesli, just stating the situation as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaFuzz View Post
Are You living in Your Skoolie whole time? You know how it is when You dont know if the engine Starts next day, and if it not happened, You don't have any help? In US You have a lot of mechanics who know this engines, becouse they are very typical. In europe no one knows Power Stroke Diesels. If we have mercedes benz, volvo Ifa engine it is no problem... becouse everybody knows this engines.
Thus far, a fair number of people have taken their time and an interest in trying to walk you thru this rough patch.
I can't honestly believe that a diesel mech worth his salt over there can not work with your 444. While things may be laid out in manufacturer's proprietary designs, the basics in what makes any diesel go, functions off of the same basic principles!
It would be worth the effort on your part to collect and share with the mech all the design info on your engine.
Sure, they could research online for it, but who wants to pay their hourly rate for that..!

Old 06-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: Bluebird International
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Yes, I live in my bus. It is my only home.
I hope you didn't take my last as callous, just making a point.
You'd mentioned replacing the engine. With what? I doubt a Euro diesel could be easily made to fit, and an entirely new, even if only new to you, 444 engine o re there will be insanely expensive.
I don't intend to piddle in your Muesli, just stating the situation as I see it.

Thus far, a fair number of people have taken their time and an interest in trying to walk you thru this rough patch.
I can't honestly believe that a diesel mech worth his salt over there can not work with your 444. While things may be laid out in manufacturer's proprietary designs, the basics in what makes any diesel go, functions off of the same basic principles!
It would be worth the effort on your part to collect and share with the mech all the design info on your engine. Sure, they could research online for it, but who wants to pay their hourly rate for that..!
Do not get me wrong, I am really grateful for any information I receive from you. I'm just frustrated by not being able to solve the problem. I'm mad at "mechanics" here in Spain and Portugal, because none of them wants to even try to solve the problem. In the following days, I plan to put the Bus for several weeks in one place and try to solve the problem yourself (I hope with your help);)
JaFuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I realize this is frustrating but you need to do one thing at the time.

7.3 power stroke diesels are extremely reliable.

You are in a similar situation in europe with a powerstroke or cummins as i am with a mercedes engine in the USA. People have no clue, they are to busy to be interested in a challenge

Back to you problem with the power stroke. If it runs Ok when you drive it then it is not likely anything with sensors or electronics.

If it turns over good and starts in the morning even after a while then your batteries / starter motor must work acceptable.

So then it is back to getting fuel to the cylinders and to the injectors.

1 check fuel pressure .
2 check HPOP pressure and oil level. The HPOP oil is required to actuate the injectors. If it drains back then you have a problem.

The only weak point is the fuel pump. The diagnostic codes do not include the fuel pump section. It contains a low pressure membrane lift pump and a high pressure piston pump. I am asking you to check the fuel pressure of the high pressure piston pump.... 40-70 psi. I will pulse a but because it is plunger / piston pump.

How long stays the glow plug light on when the engine is cold?

Does it start immediately the first time you crank it in the morning and then shuts down?

Any blue or white smoke during first cold start up?

So how does it run after it shuts down the first time? That is after the second 10 second cranking.

It is unlikely that you can easily find a "better?? ( american) engine " in europe unless you go to european engines and they are mostly considered pieces of **** in this forum.

a pic of your bus in europe would be fun to see
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:14 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
It would be worth the effort on your part to collect and share with the mech all the design info on your engine.
Sure, they could research online for it, but who wants to pay their hourly rate for that..!
Do not get me wrong, it's not that I put the bus back on the mechanic and tell him - repair the engine. For many years I was involved in the renewal of antique motorcycles and as such I have an idea about engines. With each of the "mechanics" who were trying to repair the engine, I shared all the information that I had learned here from my colleagues from the forum. I told you exactly which part to check what to measure. They even got the printed engine manual from me. But, each of them had a different concept, did not listen to the hints, after a few days they let themselves go without even checking the things I told them about.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:48 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Back to you problem with the power stroke. If it runs Ok when you drive it then it is not likely anything with sensors or electronics.

If it turns over good and starts in the morning even after a while then your batteries / starter motor must work acceptable.
Yes, when it finaly starts, during the day, everything is ok. It has power, starts without any problems.

Quote:
So then it is back to getting fuel to the cylinders and to the injectors.

1 check fuel pressure .
2 check HPOP pressure and oil level. The HPOP oil is required to actuate the injectors. If it drains back then you have a problem.
2. HPOP oil level check before it starts? or after it turns off?

Quote:
The only weak point is the fuel pump. The diagnostic codes do not include the fuel pump section. It contains a low pressure membrane lift pump and a high pressure piston pump. I am asking you to check the fuel pressure of the high pressure piston pump.... 40-70 psi. I will pulse a but because it is plunger / piston pump.
Ok, i'll try to ask mechanic to do it.

Quote:
How long stays the glow plug light on when the engine is cold?
8-10s and when it starts, they takes voltage for the next 10-12s

Quote:
Does it start immediately the first time you crank it in the morning and then shuts down? Any blue or white smoke during first cold start up?
Yes, after 1-2s, then it work 1-2s and turns off No smoke detected.

Quote:
So how does it run after it shuts down the first time? That is after the second 10 second cranking.
First 2s is a little nervous, but i think, it sounds like normal starting diesel... sometimes it needs some accelerate pedal press for a second, and then it works perfectly. If I turn it off after few seconds of working (after second start) it has no problem to start.

Quote:
It is unlikely that you can easily find a "better?? ( american) engine " in europe unless you go to european engines and they are mostly considered pieces of **** in this forum.
I thought abaut buing the engine in US and shipping it to Lisbon

Quote:
a pic of your bus in europe would be fun to see
All of photos of our Skoolie You can see at our Instagram profile:

FabLabNomads

Big, thanks for all the hints. In the coming days I will park for a longer time in one place in the south of Portugal and I will start to check all the trophies one by one.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:04 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Well, that is frustrating! It's not that they couldn't work on it,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaFuzz View Post
Do not get me wrong, it's not that I put the bus back on the mechanic and tell him - repair the engine. For many years I was involved in the renewal of antique motorcycles and as such I have an idea about engines. With each of the "mechanics" who were trying to repair the engine, I shared all the information that I had learned here from my colleagues from the forum. I told you exactly which part to check what to measure. They even got the printed engine manual from me. But, each of them had a different concept, did not listen to the hints, after a few days they let themselves go without even checking the things I told them about.
They wouldn't!
Old 06-03-2019, 06:58 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Wishing you luck and success, man.

Nothing to do with buses but I'd love to visit Lisbon. I've heard its beautiful and as a Celtic FC supporter its sort of a holy destination!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

I'm glad you shared your Instagram account with us!
You have a fabulous family, in a beautiful bus, travelling to lovely locations.
We definitely need to solve your mechanical problems, if you're ever going to return to Polska...
Powodzenia!
Old 06-03-2019, 08:50 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

We are not planing back to Poland. If we’ll repair our engine we’ll go south. Maroko, maybe Mauretania.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Not if,
When!
Old 06-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #31
Skoolie

https://swampsmotorsports.com/files/...Diagnostic.pdf

Read this and see if any of those tests help. It is geared towards the powerstroke in trucks, but the engines are nearly identical. Only differences are fuel delivery in later models and the computers that run them. I'm not sure of the quality of diesel over in europe but the t444e was designed during a time that had a ton more sulfur (lubrication) in the fuel. It is extremely import to run lubrication additives in these engines. I run one ounce per gallon of TCW3 2 stroke oil in the fuel. If your injectors are on their way out you cant save them by adding lubrication, but they can be rebuilt for relatively cheap and are pretty easy to swap out if you are mechanically inclined.
E450Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:38 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Exellent article! Thanx 4 sharing. [emoji111]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E450Shorty View Post
https://swampsmotorsports.com/files/...Diagnostic.pdf

Read this and see if any of those tests help. It is geared towards the powerstroke in trucks, but the engines are nearly identical. Only differences are fuel delivery in later models and the computers that run them. I'm not sure of the quality of diesel over in europe but the t444e was designed during a time that had a ton more sulfur (lubrication) in the fuel. It is extremely import to run lubrication additives in these engines. I run one ounce per gallon of TCW3 2 stroke oil in the fuel. If your injectors are on their way out you cant save them by adding lubrication, but they can be rebuilt for relatively cheap and are pretty easy to swap out if you are mechanically inclined.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:11 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E450Shorty View Post
Thanx a lot!
Old 06-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #34
Skoolie

Anything I can do to help! I come from the truck word of the powerstroke. I own three 7.3s including my bus.
E450Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Did he ever check youtube for videos on the topic? I know i've made a few.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Hey, I'm still searching how to find solution of my problem... now I'm in 90% sure that problem is with High Pressure Oil Pump.