Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2019, 05:54 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: Bluebird International
Engine: T444E
[Buy] T444E 2002 engine

Hi! probably our T444E engine is dying, maybe some of You have one in good condition for sale? Or You know where try to find one?

JaFuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:20 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaFuzz View Post
Hi! probably our T444E engine is dying, maybe some of You have one in good condition for sale? Or You know where try to find one?

What's wrong with yours?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Hi, I wrote about this here:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/t4...ing-25876.html
Old 06-02-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

The T444E's are pretty robust engines so unless yours has suffered a major failure - using a *LOT* of oil, overheated, cracked block/heads, been run dry of oil (crank/cylinder wall damage), or something equally bad then yours should be fixable.

My bus (with same engine) starts easily after a day or so, but if it's been sitting a few days, I have to turn it over a bit longer. Is my fuel bleeding down? Is it my HPOP oil bleeding down? I'm not entirely sure and haven't done any diagnostic on it yet, but it has yet to fail me after a couple tries on the starter and as such it's been a low priority for me. Will it get worse over time? Probably. Will I diagnose it? Again, probably, when I have time and resources to devote to it.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I don’t know how to check HPOP oil bleding. And still not found mechanic who can diagnose this engine Portugal and Spain are strange countries.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Jafuzz, your other thread went dead in march..
What happened in the last two months as far as troubleshooting / repairs that you think you need a new motor? Is this bus/motor now in the USA or with you in europe?

thks J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Still in Europe. I visited 4 or 5 mechanics specialized in dissel engines. And they don’t know solution. I mraured sensors, changed oil and nothing more. I don’t have energy to search and still no help from nobody here.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #8
Bus Nut

So has it gotten worse in the past few months, or is it just that it takes a few seconds of cranking to start?

Sounds like it still needs troubleshooting, but also sounds like something I could deal with.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

It is beeing worst... in march engine have no problem with starting, when it was hot. Now, when i'm turning it on, after 6-7 hours of not working, it starts, then turn of and akes something about 10s with pushing gas pedal to start it...
Old 06-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Is it still experiencing the need to be run in the evening, to assure a start the next morning?
Wasn't your mechanic able to check the systems that coded:

Quote:
Thanks for help! We read codes in our computer. We have:
111, 155, 124, 211
We checked on the list and they are:
111 - no codes detected (it is my favorite) ;)
155 - intake air signal to High
124 - iniection pressure signal Low
211 - engine oil pressure signal Low
What now?
I'm no diesel mechanic, altho I do play one on TV...
It would seem, if 155 is to be believed; insufficient fuel is being delivered to the combustion chambers for the volume of air. Too lean with too much air. At least, that's how it works in internal combustion motors...
124 would seem to corroborate that theory. Altho maybe also, injector blockages. Doesn't take much of a speck to lodge up in there, and really bung up the works! Less likely, but I'd be wondering at the state of your glow plugs.
If your 444 feels even more gutless than usual while driving, I'm suspecting fuel delivery is somehow impeded: the pumps ain't pumping as they should, constriction(s) in the line, more fuel being diverted back to the tank than ought be (which likely accounts for both the repressurizing required in the PM, and the fuel starvation. Sounds like any blockage is downstream from the fuel return...).
Last we heard, you were waiting on filters from Amazon. Did you put fresh filters on? The problem could reside there, too.
Finally, is there water in the bowl? If there is, and the mechanic didn't address that, I'd say flush that joker and find another!
211 is of concern, too. Starved of lubrication; friction, heat, and galling will turn any engine into an over-sized, extra-heavy paper-weight. Couldn't the mech check your oil pressure at the engine? At the very least, what's the dash gauge report to you?
What does the engine oil dipstick show upon checking before starting it up? And how many klicks have all y'all driven since collecting the above codes?

Edit: saw the 2 preceding posts came while I was writing.
Somebody correct me if I'm in error, but one does not pump the throttle pedal on a diesel, as with a gas engine... [emoji848]
Old 06-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
It is beeing worst... in march engine have no problem with starting, when it was hot. Now, when i'm turning it on, after 6-7 hours of not working, it starts, then turn of and akes something about 10s with pushing gas pedal to start it...
And will it continue running on the second try? Do you have to jockey the accelerator pedal to keep it running?
Old 06-02-2019, 11:48 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Jafuzz. I do not think that this is a very common engine in europe.

I would check the fuel pressures with a dial gauge. There is a schrader valve on the fuel filter bowl. Should read about 40 to 70 psi. See what it does when the engine dies after the first start.

You need to know for sure if it is lack of fuel or lack of HPOP oil pressure before you can do any real trouble shooting.

Good luck J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:56 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Is it still experiencing the need to be run in the evening, to assure a start the next morning?
Wasn't your mechanic able to check the systems that coded:

I'm no diesel mechanic, altho I do play one on TV...
It would seem, if 155 is to be believed; insufficient fuel is being delivered to the combustion chambers for the volume of air. Too lean with too much air. At least, that's how it works in internal combustion motors...
124 would seem to corroborate that theory. Altho maybe also, injector blockages. Doesn't take much of a speck to lodge up in there, and really bung up the works! Less likely, but I'd be wondering at the state of your glow plugs.
If your 444 feels even more gutless than usual while driving, I'm suspecting fuel delivery is somehow impeded: the pumps ain't pumping as they should, constriction(s) in the line, more fuel being diverted back to the tank than ought be (which likely accounts for both the repressurizing required in the PM, and the fuel starvation. Sounds like any blockage is downstream from the fuel return...).
Last we heard, you were waiting on filters from Amazon. Did you put fresh filters on? The problem could reside there, too.
Finally, is there water in the bowl? If there is, and the mechanic didn't address that, I'd say flush that joker and find another!
211 is of concern, too. Starved of lubrication; friction, heat, and galling will turn any engine into an over-sized, extra-heavy paper-weight. Couldn't the mech check your oil pressure at the engine? At the very least, what's the dash gauge report to you?
What does the engine oil dipstick show upon checking before starting it up? And how many klicks have all y'all driven since collecting the above codes?

Edit: saw the 2 preceding posts came while I was writing.
Somebody correct me if I'm in error, but one does not pump the throttle pedal on a diesel, as with a gas engine... [emoji848]
Thanks for so many things for check. Filters changed, an oil changed... Im stil thinking if problem can be with an oil. I asked mechanic to replace my oil to Shell Rimula 15w40 (in Europe there is replacment of shell Rotella) but he couldnt find this oil and repace it with some normal civil car oil 15w40. I had no energy to fight with him, paid and leave his workshop. Now at the morning, when engine is cold, oil pressure gauge shows 50psi but after 15min of working it fels to 20psi... maybe all problems result from poorly chosen oil...
Now, at first, I'll replace oil and filter to rorrect hevy duty truck oil Texaco DELO 400 MGX SAE 15w40 and add some Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer... and see what happens.
When engine started everything is ok, it not make any smoke, has enough power.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

My oil pressure starts the day (cold) around 50, and drops to 20-30 when hot. Completely normal.

*Most* 15w40 oils (at least in the U.S.) are diesel compatible oils.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:18 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

For what it's worth : I whole-heartedly concur on your experiencing the pleasures of getting those pressures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Jafuzz. I do not think that this is a very common engine in europe.

I would check the fuel pressures with a dial gauge. There is a schrader valve on the fuel filter bowl. Should read about 40 to 70 psi. See what it does when the engine dies after the first start.

You need to know for sure if it is lack of fuel or lack of HPOP oil pressure before you can do any real trouble shooting.

Good luck J
Be good to confirm what's in the crankcase is compatible, if OP remembers what was put in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
My oil pressure starts the day (cold) around 50, and drops to 20-30 when hot. Completely normal.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post

Yes, but before, when we startet our trip in Poland, I repaced oil with HD Truck Oil 15w40 Mannol and oil pressure not was higher even when engine was very hot, during crossing Alps and Pyrenees mountains.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:27 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If you have to replace it, have you considered a better motor?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

I don't want to replace it... i want to repair it... but it is so frustrating that, I start thinking about replace engine.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I don't want to replace it... i want to repair it... but it is so frustrating that, I start thinking about replace engine.
Would you cut off your foot because you stepped on a thorn..?
Old 06-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Are You living in Your Skoolie whole time? You know how it is when You dont know if the engine Starts next day, and if it not happened, You don't have any help? In US You have a lot of mechanics who know this engines, becouse they are very typical. In europe no one knows Power Stroke Diesels. If we have mercedes benz, volvo Ifa engine it is no problem... becouse everybody knows this engines.