Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2018, 01:35 AM   #1

Crown Motor Coach

Hi! I知 looking at purchasing a vintage Crown Motorcoach葉otally rebuilt. This is not a school bus. The owner says it is a custom build. I知 trying to find information on classic and or custom built crown motorhomes. I have no idea how to determine if his asking price is fair. Any advice for pointing me in the direction of information would be greatly appreciated.

Meleah2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
You should gather more detailed info, Real, Serious, details, and pictures for sure to identify what exactly he means by a "Crown Motorcoach", without pictures there's no way to know what he's talking about. Crown Coach, famous for their school bus business, built custom vehicles for anybody. They have a reputation also for building some excellent highway coaches, think Greyhound buses, as well as other superior quality custom designs. In the later years before they went out of business I've heard of special arrangements where they licensed their name and may have built some components for an RV manufacturer. This was either short lived, and or unsuccessful, which is why I haven't heard details, or know much about it. If that's what is being offered to you, be aware that it's most likely NOT a true Crown Coach vehicle with all it's inherent superior qualities. It's just a crass rip off of a most respected name and reputation, and probably no different than any other typical match stick and staple built typical RV. Buyer Beware.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
As Crown Guy said, it could be almost anything. Crown made tour buses with mid- or rear-engines, two or three axles, low- or high-floor, and even trucks with Trailmobile box bodies behind a Crown cab (such a Highway Post Offices for the USPS, or ambulances for the military). If any of these buses/trucks were converted into a motorhome, it could be, if it were done right, gorgeous, or it could be a complete POS if done badly. Crown also made chassis for Vogue motorhomes, so is it one of them?

Or as that hokey old police TV show of years ago said "Just the facts please, ma'am, just the facts"! Let us know what it is, then we can help you. Crowns are always good!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:24 AM   #4

Thanks so much! Sorry for the delay in responding. I’m having trouble navigating my way around the website via my phone. Here is the link to the bus: https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...646917004.html

After doing a lot of research, I have pretty much decided that I need to go with something a lot less expensive. On the one hand, I need something that is pretty much ready to go ($$$). But on the other hand, I don’t need something that’s going to cost me thousands and thousands of dollars every year for maintenance and fuel. I would also like to get something that is going to last for years to come. I don’t really want to travel for just a year and then have to sell it. I would like to use it for years to come. There are so many things to think about!

I’ve looked extensively at the MCI’s and at this point, I think it would be too expensive for my budget over the long haul— from what I’ve seen, I’d have to pay upfront for a 20-30k + MCI conversion compared to most Skoolies and have more expensive repairs and fuel costs. I’m thinking I need to save some of my money for maintenance and probably fuel. I know I could buy a cheaper MCI bus but I don’t think I could handle the conversion by myself. That would leave me paying more money to convert the bus and I would end up spending probably 20-30k + at a minimum.

I think I’m back to a school bus skoolie. I wish I could find a Crown skoolie that was already mostly converted. Having said that, I also like big windows, and tall ceilings if we are going to live in it. Does a safe, reliable, big window, tall ceiling skoolie exist?

Thanks so much for all the advise! I feel like I’ve fallen in a skoolie hole and I can’t get up!!! <—that, and I keep have the reoccurring thought that I should have been a trucker!
Meleah2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crown