Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 10:50 PM   #1

[DENVER] 2006 Blue Bird All-American FE - $8500

I've got a 40-foot 2006 Blue Bird All-American prisoner transport bus available for sale. Super clean, government maintained, and super low miles. A great base for entry into the Skoolie scene. The perfect tiny home that goes anywhere.

Those awesome little windows that let the light in, but aren't transferring all your heated or cooled air. Plus there's the privacy of having small, high-mounted windows. Not to mention a HUGE canvas for some sweet airbrushed mural! Great color scheme with a very nice shine to it. No yellow to paint over here!

No stop signs, wig wag lights, wheelchair lifts, or any of that school bus rigarmarole to remove. Unbolt the seats and barriers and you can get right to remodeling.

2006 Caterpillar 7.2L L6 DIESEL/Allison PTS2500 w/68,000 miles NOT 168,000! 68,000 miles!
AIR CONDITIONING (Yes, in all caps. Can you find a low-mileage skoolie at this price with two AC units!)
24 Rear Seats for 50 Passengers PLUS cool security dividers.
Seats in the back to ride shotgun...literally!
ABS Brake Failure Message On - No Diagnostics Performed
One dent on rear corner.
Photos at following link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f25ldrznf...q2GgyAqya?dl=0
Attached Thumbnails
8149_21841_4.jpg   8149_21841_6 - Copy.jpg   8149_21841_8.jpg   8149_21841_10.jpg   8149_21841_13.jpg  

8149_21841_22.jpg   8149_21841_26.jpg  

Old 08-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #2

I'm negotiable on price. Try me. This is bus is from Colorado, so you know that rust isn't going to be like those midwestern buses. I'd be interested in hearing reasonable opinions as to value. My calculation figures in the mileage, condition of the paint, tires, and the uniqueness of this bus. I've seen regular yellow school buses sell for more with more miles, so how far off am I?
Old 08-26-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Price is scary and it's an 06. Here mileage is not as important as possible gremlins from EPA. For that reason we shy away from newer models, or offer less for them.
The prison bus windows are not a plus for privacy IMO, they limit light and viewing, so they gotta go. Paint is a plus. I haven't seen regular buses of this age or older selling anywhere near this price. I would put it at about half your asking price.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:20 PM   #4

Thanks! This is what I need to hear! I had my concerns about the year after trading up on the desirability of older buses.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sweptside View Post
I'm negotiable on price. Try me. This is bus is from Colorado, so you know that rust isn't going to be like those midwestern buses. I'd be interested in hearing reasonable opinions as to value. My calculation figures in the mileage, condition of the paint, tires, and the uniqueness of this bus. I've seen regular yellow school buses sell for more with more miles, so how far off am I?
I'm new here, and this is my first post, so I apologize in advance if it's against the rules to call someone out a little bit. I am hunting for my first bus to convert, and I have been buried in auction sites and forums for almost a couple months now. For most people, it can feel like a part-time job. I am making it more of a full time thing. Hours...and hours...and hours. Just to find what direction to go in. I am sure most of you have already been there done that.

I registered here today to be able to view the pics of buses people are selling in the classified area. And I hope to be a contributing and valuable member of this forum. (and to pick the brains of all you skoolie veterans!)

57sweptside, please take the following in the nicest way possible. Only honesty intended. You asked for an opinion on your price, so here goes:

I saw this bus on an auction site so I know what you paid for it. I will not divulge the amount or the site because there is no crime against trying to make a flip happen and I'm not trying to (*ahem*cough*cough*) throw you under the bus. But, I will ask that you divulge the other mechanical issues that were stated in the original auction listing. For a Skoolie person, these could make or break your asking price, as all of us know for every dollar saved on the base vehicle, the build fund increases equally as much. But if we get something home and there are major issues to contend with...well, ya'll know the rest.

I shied from this bus on the auction because of the reasons o1marc mentioned, but more so because of those other mechanical issues that you haven't mentioned in your ad here. If the bus was in perfect running/mechanical condition, it may be worth around $4-5k retail, in my opinion. That's if you have already done some gutting/seat and cage removal. Not many people are going to want to mess with all those cages going throughout the bus, and if the A/C units are desired to be removed, it can be a real pain. (they can take up valuable high storage/cabinet space). I researched prison buses in the beginning of my quest last month (found Metaspencer on Youtube...he's hilarious and seems to know what he's doing btw) and watching his several videos on how to remove the cages and ceiling mounted A/C units was cringy, making me toss out the prison bus idea. And he only had two cages to deal with. How many does yours have? Looks like five? Just not sure how those would help in a design, limiting one to settle for what is already there. "Let's put the bathroom right there. Oh...wait, I have to cut out that metal wall first...it's right where the toilet needs to be."

You make valid points for some of the pros of having a prison bus. I have seen designs with the front and rear cages left in for security. Imagine having your rig locked up that good! Also, some already come with a black tank installed, if that is desired. And exterior under storage...couldn't tell by your pics if yours has it. But those pluses seemed to weigh a little less than the negatives of a prison bus...for me.

Question for you: Have you picked up the unit or put your own eyes on it yet? Have you started it or driven it? I noticed your pics are the same pics from the auction site.

Time is money in a build, not to mention the research of finding the base bus to get started with can be as much time spent as the build itself. So when posting one for sale, just be as honest and forthcoming as possible. You will save yourself time of answering the same hundred questions to fifty different people, and you will eliminate people like me from your buying pool, as I do not want to mess with anything mechanical/engine, etc. right from the starting gate.

I have worked in toy sales for over 20 years (motorcycles for 99% of that and more recently, RV's, which is why I know RV's are crap and I'm building a bus). To put value in something, you have to know your audience, and you don't "have to", but you should be completely honest and forthcoming, especially if you are trying to get a name in the skoolie world as a flipper/seller.
From what I gather, most skoolie people aren't afraid of hard work, and try to save money wherever possible. However, I'm just trying to wrap my head around how not having "school bus rigamarole" to remove but having cages to cut and A/C units possibly to remove puts value all the way to your asking price. Especially considering the other mechanical issues that have not been divulged. It comes across as a sales pitch more than a validation of the price.

I am sure you will find someone who wants it. I wish you only luck in selling it, and again, please take these comments with a smile. This is a long post, and it took me some time to write it, as I am definitely trying to remain diplomatic which requires lots of proofreading. Just trying to save others a bunch of time.

Will you please update your ad to contain all of the mechanical issues stated by the original auction site? Or, if you have inspected the vehicle yourself, can you confirm if anything has been fixed since the auction ended or you took possession of the bus?
Old 08-26-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 27
He mentioned "ABS Brake Failure Message On - No Diagnostics Performed" in the description
I would consider that fair disclosure of a mechanical problem.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:46 PM   #7

Mostly fair points. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:20 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsneeb View Post
He mentioned "ABS Brake Failure Message On - No Diagnostics Performed" in the description
I would consider that fair disclosure of a mechanical problem.
Yes, he did state that one thing.

There were four other issues in the original listing, one of which is directly connected to and contradicts what was stated as added value in his bus.

I am not stating them here because it's not my place. Just simply asking the seller if he can announce these issues to be in fair practice of selling within this community.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:49 AM   #9

SOLD - Thanks to all who expressed interest and asked questions

Somebody got a great deal on a really cool bus.

BTS, thanks for saving the world. Sour grapes, much? Too rich for your blood? Pretty cool of you to gas in another thread about how you shut me down. I could tell everyone finally looked up to you for once, even if it was only for a minute.

I wasn't trying to hide anything, and looking at the watermarks on the photos gives a pretty good idea where to start looking for more information. I imagine you're the kind of guy who sent me an email on my Denver CL posting trying to fish for some fraud and received the honest report of the situation and bus condition that I sent everyone who asked. And while I didn't get the asking price above, I did exceed the $4000-5000 retail price that in your expert opinion would be the high retail. The sale was for more than $7k, as is, sight unseen. PM me and I'll send you a link if you would need proof that your estimator is a bit out of whack.

For anybody who wants the truth, the bus was reported to need shocks, had oil leaks, and one of the air conditioners didn't work. While this wasn't disclosed in the ad, I did report it to EVERY person who inquired here and on CL. Besides, that's what inspections are for.

I like to buy unusual vehicles for resale so I may be back with opportunities if they present themselves. But people like BTS who are looking down at anybody who has a Cat motor, or the wrong transmission and sit on the sidelines without any skin in the game are what's wrong with forums in general and detract from the group. From what I can tell, the folks here are shrewd and have a huge communal knowledge base to make a cheap bus into something beautiful. But there are also people who know what they want and are looking for something specific, and there are some that don't have the same access to sweet rust-free coaches and make due with some crazy-looking P30 short bus. Those people shouldn't be excluded because they don't fit into the cookie cutter. And BTS and his ilk should not be allowed to keep the guy with a P30 from making it available.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:36 PM   #10
Site Team

A number of posts have been removed from this thread - folks, please read the regs about classifieds posting including this bit about how to respond:
Quote:
RESPONDING TO ADS
  • Limit your responses to requests for clarification of details pertaining only to the item the seller is listing.
  • Be genuinely interested in purchasing the item. If you are not interested in purchasing, don’t post.
  • Off topic posts will be removed
  • All ads must comply with site rules. For reference, they are here: All Site Rules
Thanks for your cooperation.
Full list here: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/p...ieds-9297.html

Classifieds threads are for discussions between buyer and seller.