Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Does anybody want these things that looknlike roof raising hardware?

I found these things that look like roof raising hardware. For legal reasons I can’t tell whether they would actually be safe for raising a bus roof. But they look very similar. It looks like 1” All-Thread with 1/4” brackets.

Does anybody want these? All you need to do is prepay the package and shipping, which still might be pretty pricy since these things aren’t light.

Or pickup in Houston could work too.

Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #2

Year: 2009
Chassis: Blue Bird All-American
Engine: 8.3L Cummins Turbo
Hello! I bought my bus in Houston! I'm in Jacksonville and am planning on doing my roof raise in the next few weeks. Is there some way you could find out what the shipping cost would be to zip code 32211? Thanks!
ShieldUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
those are definitely for a raise. But idk if they're worth shipping. heck of a find!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:46 PM   #4

Year: 2009
Chassis: Blue Bird All-American
Engine: 8.3L Cummins Turbo
The company out of Colorado where I am getting my channel-hat metal from charges $200 to rent these items. If shipping is less than that, it would be worth it to me. My zip is 32211. If there is some way you could find out the shipping cost that would be great! Thanks!
ShieldUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:47 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShieldUSA View Post
The company out of Colorado where I am getting my channel-hat metal from charges $200 to rent these items. If shipping is less than that, it would be worth it to me. My zip is 32211. If there is some way you could find out the shipping cost that would be great! Thanks!
Their channel sucks. Find a local shop!
Old 04-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
If you're up to the task of a roof raise, you can probably fabricate those brackets for way less than $200. And then sell them to a disgruntled CCC customer for $199.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:11 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
If you're up to the task of a roof raise, you can probably fabricate those brackets for way less than $200. And then sell them to a disgruntled CCC customer for $199.
Ok don't leave us hanging, what's the deal with somebody getting screwed?
Is this info we need to share?
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Ok don't leave us hanging, what's the deal with somebody getting screwed?
Is this info we need to share?
I don't know if anybody's been necessarily "screwed", but CCC is famous for blowing off communication with their clients for weeks and months. The quality of their work is apparently OK but their ability to meet a schedule or deadline is nonexistent. Given what they overcharge for stuff like hat channel extenders and allthread raising brackets, I assume they also overcharge for their skoolie conversion work.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:47 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Last member here who bought their channel found it didn't fit right. THey posted pics and the channel came welded to the sleeve and only had a little overlap. Not a good product for the money.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:25 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I don't know if anybody's been necessarily "screwed", but CCC is famous for blowing off communication with their clients for weeks and months. The quality of their work is apparently OK but their ability to meet a schedule or deadline is nonexistent. Given what they overcharge for stuff like hat channel extenders and allthread raising brackets, I assume they also overcharge for their skoolie conversion work.
Thanks for clarifying, not looking at a roof raise but good to have that known.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:26 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Last member here who bought their channel found it didn't fit right. THey posted pics and the channel came welded to the sleeve and only had a little overlap. Not a good product for the money.
Thank you sir.
Hope all is well in your hood.
Cheers
Old 04-20-2020, 04:50 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Hello! I bought my bus in Houston! I'm in Jacksonville and am planning on doing my roof raise in the next few weeks. Is there some way you could find out what the shipping cost would be to zip code 32211? Thanks!
I’ll grab them this weekend and take them to a pack and ship. If you pay their pack and ship price then I’ll drop these off to there.
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:37 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
an opinion?
mine but i weld for a living.
might sound rude but not trying to be at all.
if you think you have enough skills to do a roof raise?
i understand it can get tough to find a company that can and will brake 15-16 guage metal to make hat channel and can almost guarantee its not gonna match perfectly unless they have a piece of yours to match it up to.
sorry back to my point.
once you get your channel and cut everything to raise your roof?
how were you planning on attaching your channel?
this was gonna be a loaded question looking for an answer but i aint at work and wont get an immediate response so ?
my point is?
those roof raiser brackets are made to be welded onto the bus so if you have the skills to weld the brackets onto the bus for you to feel safe enough to raise the roof then why not just by the stuff to make your own?
you dont know if that rod has been tweaked or not and every time any allthread rod gets tweeked and bent back into line it weakens?
still cheaper to by the stuff and make yourself than pay shipping on someone elses stuff and safety wise you dont know if it has been stressed out or not?
but like i said its an opinion of mine?
talk to ECCB lives in florida,has done a roof raise,might have knowledge of a local shop to make your metal and can definitly give you advice.
good luck
good decisions
be safe
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:04 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Wink Rough cost of raw materials

I must be looking for a little entertainment.

Here are the parts needed to build those ... all from Home Depot (not the best prices, but they have what they have):

Code:
 4 @ 3/4" - 10 x 36" Zinc Plated Threaded Rod [$12.48 each]    $49.92
16 @ 3/4"- 10 Hex Nuts                        [$0.62 each]     $ 9.92
 4 @ 1/4" x 4" x 12" Steel Plate              [$9.92 each]     $39.68
 1 @ 3/4" ID x 48" Black Steel Pipe           [$17.98 each]    $17.98
So that is $117.50 (plus tax) for the parts to build 36" roof raise jacks. Add in your welding equipment costs ... whatever they may be.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:01 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
I must be looking for a little entertainment.

Here are the parts needed to build those ... all from Home Depot (not the best prices, but they have what they have):

Code:
 4 @ 3/4" - 10 x 36" Zinc Plated Threaded Rod [$12.48 each]    $49.92
16 @ 3/4"- 10 Hex Nuts                        [$0.62 each]     $ 9.92
 4 @ 1/4" x 4" x 12" Steel Plate              [$9.92 each]     $39.68
 1 @ 3/4" ID x 48" Black Steel Pipe           [$17.98 each]    $17.98
So that is $117.50 (plus tax) for the parts to build 36" roof raise jacks. Add in your welding equipment costs ... whatever they may be.
I can get all the parts for these (except the nuts) for fifty cents a pound at my local metal supply place. It would be fun to make these and sell them. It would not be fun to be sued if one of them failed, which makes me wonder what kind of insurance CCC has as a company.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:51 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
I can get all the parts for these (except the nuts) for fifty cents a pound at my local metal supply place. It would be fun to make these and sell them. It would not be fun to be sued if one of them failed, which makes me wonder what kind of insurance CCC has as a company.
I can get them from our local iron yard too ... but not everyone has access to such gems as we do. That is why I chose to use Home Depot as the source.

Of course, I would urge ANYONE considering working on a bus to find a decent iron yard as well as a decent metal supplier (sometimes the same place) and a fabrication shop for the stuff not as easily made in a home shop, like hat channel.

Making them and selling them would be great ... but you are right that there is a product liability factor. From my days of selling scuba diving equipment, I know you can find an insurance company that will sell a product liability policy. I ended up quitting scuba sales when I was paying more for insurance than I was making. he nice thing about a product liability policy is that is covers you for all items (in the policy) that were manufactured while the policy was in effect ... even after the policy expires.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:34 PM   #17

I'm in Houston, and will be picking up a bus in a couple of months. This would definitely save me some fabrication time if they're still available.
HalfBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Unless there was somebody else with this problem ... this mights have been me ....
Wait time took months!
Maybe 2 if I remember right at least 6 weeks ....
The use hotrolled steel .. not even cold rolled ...
wel I’m not to sure but it’s rusting faster then my cold rolled panels do... which is pretty much not rusting ..
the hat is broke accurately and matches factory ... the little overlaps they add need to be redisinged .....
I bought the 16in hats with overlap... that was a 2in c channel welded and sticking out ... I’ll find pics.
I needed up cutting the laps
Off and using 14 1/2 of there hat channel and had a guy I work with brake me some 16g c channels at almost 4ft long to slide inside my joint and then I clamped all together but welded and plug weleded everything to each other ....
BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:02 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Yeah. Not a good product for the price or aggravation.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
500 is a lot for hat channel
BusT is offline   Reply With Quote