Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2024, 12:53 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1970
Coachwork: Eastern Coach
Chassis: VRT/SL3/2176
Engine: Gardner 6LXB - Detroit Diesel
Double Decker Bus for sale *Updated Price*

So my wife and I bit off way more than we can chew with this project. We had a limited time rare opportunity and I was in a manic state so we jumped into a huge project with zero experience. You can see the little progress we made and more pictures/videos on our instagram page Double_Decked_Out.

Price: $3,000

Detailed description:

Dimentions: 13.5'tall, edge of mirrors 9 1/2' wide, 33' long approx.
Body: ECW 24138 Series 2
Configuration: H43/31F

Pertinent maintenance and condition information:

Bus is in the middle of demolition.

Two windows have been destroyed by child vandals and the passenger windshield is cracked. (Broken windows top floor passenger side front window and bottom floor rear window.) All bottom floor windows with exception of windshields have been removed for cleaning and reinstallation, but have not been put back in yet.

Bus ran about 5 years ago and has not been started since. Unsure if it runs or not, people told us not to try until someone looks at it because it could burn its own oil and be destroyed.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20240417_113701_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20240417_115038_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20240417_114739_Gallery.jpg  

Double_Decked_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 06:42 PM   #2

Hi. I might be interested. I would love to see more pictures. I live in Grand county Co, and will need to know more about the engine, etc. It sounds like it needs to go to the shop first. Let me know the best way to contact you.
Many thanks
Janet
Janzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 07:11 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Eastern Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janzin View Post
Hi. I might be interested. I would love to see more pictures. I live in Grand county Co, and will need to know more about the engine, etc. It sounds like it needs to go to the shop first. Let me know the best way to contact you.
Many thanks
Janet
Send me an email and I'll give you my phone number through that srhorn92@gmail.com. Texting would probably work best
Double_Decked_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 03:01 PM   #4

Ty, I have emailed you. Sorry for the delay, I have been unwell.
Janzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 06:45 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
There's an easy way to stop that.

"people told us not to try until someone looks at it because it could burn its own oil and be destroyed."

Have a piece of plywood big enough to cover the intake, then cover the intake if it starts to run away. It will suck that plywood right down on to it and starve the engine of air.

For something as small as a gasoline lawnmower engine with a broken linkage, you can use your hat.

Uh, yeah, that happened.
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 02:01 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
any diesel could runaway. but I thought a gardner was not likely to suck its own oil as it doesnt have a turbo or blower and is 4 stroke.. at least i thought the bus engines were 4 stroke.. and only their real big stuff was 2 stroke..

the pic confuses me but it looks more like a Detroit 4-71 then it foes a gardner 6.. maybe it got detroit swapped at some point?

detroit 2 strokes can run away in a couple ways.. the most common is the rack gets stuck so it just goes wide open fuel regardless of the RPM.. the governor mechanism doesnt work and it flies apart ...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 12:33 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

the pic confuses me but it looks more like a Detroit 4-71 then it foes a gardner 6.. maybe it got detroit swapped at some point?
That's definitely the left side of a non-turbo Detroit 4-71, so that bus would be a slug with it compared to the ample low-end torque from a Gardner 6LX. I can't imagine a VR with a frenetic two-stroke engine - I've ridden many a mile in VRs, and the Gardner (or a grunty Leyland 0.680) just sounds right in them!

I fear that bus will be scrapped: there's far too much work needed to make it viable again.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 06:27 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
That's definitely the left side of a non-turbo Detroit 4-71, so that bus would be a slug with it compared to the ample low-end torque from a Gardner 6LX. I can't imagine a VR with a frenetic two-stroke engine - I've ridden many a mile in VRs, and the Gardner (or a grunty Leyland 0.680) just sounds right in them!

I fear that bus will be scrapped: there's far too much work needed to make it viable again.

John

if that had a gardner 6LX in it someone would likely be more than willing to scoop it up... there seems to be a lot of legend around thise engines ..albeit I always thought they were a boat engine but I guess in UK they were vehicle engines too
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 10:45 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if that had a gardner 6LX in it someone would likely be more than willing to scoop it up... there seems to be a lot of legend around thise engines ..albeit I always thought they were a boat engine but I guess in UK they were vehicle engines too
Gardners were used in many UK buses, and they even powered some small shunting locomotives. When Gardner-engined buses were scrapped their engines would often be exported to Asia for reuse in boats. They truly were legendary engines.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
double decker bus, for sale, unfinished project