Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Leyland
Chassis: Leyland
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 17500, probably kg
Double Decker for Sale in Upstate NY

Well, it's time to throw in the towel. We bought this, pretty confident we could hire out most of the work, but the reality was that no one really had the facilities or willingness to do the work we needed done. We finally found a tiny home builder with the willingness and skills to completely finish the project for us.

Unfortunately while we were driving it up to him we drove over a railroad track that sped up a known slow leak in air tank 2. We got it to the builder because the compressor was able to keep up with occasional breaks on the side of the road to build up pressure again, but it made us realize we didn't like the risk level with three boys and no mechanical skills. Getting stranded would suck and God knows how long it'd take to get help.

We actually already have it _at_ a tiny home builder's who has evaluated the bus and is totally confident he can convert it. So that said, here's the bus:

1985 Leyland Olympian, Registered in NYS as a Motorhome.

Cummins L10 Engine, Voeth Transmission.

13'6" high (street legal in all 50 states), 31' long, 8'2" wide.

Starts and Runs beautifully. Super fun to drive. Right hand driver's seat.

Slow leak in Air tank 2 to be fixed before sale, Quicker leak in tank 3, also to be fixed before sale.

I have a lot of the seats saved since they're belted, easy to re-install as long as the existing channels in the floor and wall are kept.

The interior is stripped to the metal except one area in the stairwell I never made it to.

The window gaskets could use replacing.

All seams on the roof have been re-sealed with automotive sealer. Need sanding and painting.

Ask any questions I'll do my best to answer of find the answer.

I have a 4-zone minisplit, solar panels, and a solar combiner already purchased, happy to negotiate on those as well.

Photos:

Pre-demolition: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...lbums1809.html

Current State: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sx2t4cgSfsisbEe47

Asking $28,000

Crisfole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Sorry to see you go, man, but as somebody who also knows nothing about the mechanical side of buses I understand completely. Good luck with the sale, and you'll always be a skoolier in my book.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:45 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Ditto to what Musigenesis said. I was so hoping to see tht build through all of the stages. It would be fun to work, but ***WAY*** too rich for my blood.

If you fix it, maybe we can trade.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:07 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
perhaps you ought to restart with a more common bus.. breaking down in a school bus or even a city bus isnt as bad as a non USA model like that olympian.. it still sucks and it still very much helps to fix things yourself, however with a school bus chassis.. ie a thomas freightliner, or a bluebird international.. many truck shops can fix them.. many parts are available right off the shelf, which makes thigns a lot less daunting, knowing that you can likely get back on the road in a fairly short amount of time if something happens to it..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #5

Double decker bus

Hello, I am interested in your double decker bus and was wondering if sometime in the near future I could come see it in person? I live in northwestern Pennsylvania and have been searching for a trolley, bus, or double decker to convert into a tiny home.
Thank you so much for your time!
Roxanne
lilrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:56 PM   #6
Skoolie

Roxanne, you can email me directly at my Gmail account: christopher.pfohl is the first part.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:06 PM   #7
Skoolie

Aww guys. I'm going to miss all this. I absolutely think a different bus would have been more achievable, but I also never would have entered into the wild world of Skoolies with anything less than a truly crazy plan. Right now we're realizing AirBnB's should be pretty freaking affordable after all this mess dies down, so we're working out other options. I've really appreciated all I've learned from everyone.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Once a skoolie, always a skoolie.

You can always keep up with all of us and help others with your experiences.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote