Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

For Sale

1986 Blue Bird All American
38ft long
Seats out; all flooring up down to the plywood;
Spray foam insulation; all windows, 13 on each side, (no cracks); ceiling panels out; large bins underneath for storage; Fantastic Vent fan installed.
Unfortunately, I am being told that the engine is no good now that I have put 3 years of blood, sweat and tears into this bus. I don’t want to haul to a junk yard so I thought that maybe someone that knows how to rebuild a 427 Chevy Big Block gasoline engine or has one lying around would be interested in buying this bus.
Titled as a motor home in FL.
Bus is currently at a garage in northern Georgia close to SC line.
If interested, send message via Skoolie.net
Attached Thumbnails
B1D1E45B-1516-446C-99B6-3E3EABD05E9A.jpg   75A41FC5-9E15-4E1E-9F85-275434A780E3.jpg   1D864AE8-2FAB-4E95-8BC8-F70A2EFA42C2.jpeg   82E7CBD1-FE73-4D74-9445-85144A06DF8F.jpg   2B80718B-B5A6-4B43-819A-8E77C488F3AD.jpg  

fp42583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:22 PM   #2

Year: 2007
Coachwork: International
Engine: VT365 - 6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp42583 View Post
1986 Blue Bird All American
... I am being told that the engine is no good now that I have put 3 years of blood, sweat and tears into this bus. I don’t want to haul to a junk yard so I thought that maybe someone that knows how to rebuild a 427 Chevy Big Block gasoline engine or has one lying around would be interested in buying this bus...
Any of the gm big blocks should be easy to find and swap in. You can go used or get a rebuilt crate motor. You might want to consider swapping the motor out before you scrap her out.
Tc262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I have been looking for motors but they are between $3000 and $7000. Then there is the issue of having it put in. Another issue I have is that I live in FL but I was stranded in GA. I had to go back home so the bus is in GA and I’m in FL. So I don’t have the luxury of finding someone to work on it where I am. I have to figure out the logistics, towing, and if I’m getting screwed over while in another State.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

For sale? Does it have air or hydralic brakes?
Robbieo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, for sale
Air brakes
Old 03-29-2018, 10:12 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I live not too far away. What exactly is wrong with the engine? Reckon it can be fixed?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:56 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I am not a mechanic in anyway so I have to take the shop at their word, they said it is a bearing that has broken and now there is glitter looking stuff in the oil filter. Yesterday they said they wouldn’t know if I needed a new drive shaft (?) until the engine is pulled out. I don’t know what any of that means nor do I know how to fix it
Old 03-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Not enough info, usually a bearing in a motor that fails is a rod or main bearing, they wear and "spin", but seldom do they "break". Seldom do those have anything to do with the driveshaft. Tranny has all kinds of bearings that could fail and have issue with the driveshaft, but seldom require engine replacement.
PM me the shop contact and I'll get the lowdown on what the issue is.

How difficult is it to swap that gas engine for a desirable diesel drive train?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:30 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Perhaps he meant crankshaft not driveshaft?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

I sent you a PM. Let me know if you get it
Old 03-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Perhaps he meant crankshaft not driveshaft?
That would make more sense.
RRRVBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
I am not a mechanic in anyway so I have to take the shop at their word, they said it is a bearing that has broken and now there is glitter looking stuff in the oil filter. Yesterday they said they wouldn’t know if I needed a new drive shaft (?) until the engine is pulled out. I don’t know what any of that means nor do I know how to fix it
Knowing the symptoms will be just as helpful as the diagnosis. Did the engine completely stop running, or will it crank and run? Excessive rattling or squealing? Warning lights or anything?

"Glitter in the oil filter" isn't always catastrophic engine failure. Some engines use oil coolers that can fail, which can send metal into the oil, but that can be fixed without engine replacement.

I would expect a replacement engine (crate rebuild) to cost in the $2K range. There's no way I would bother with a "Brand New" engine when the rebuilt ones are just as good. Autozone is showing various GM crate engines for just under $1900. Installation is another matter, but shouldn't take more than another 1000?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

It was running good. I had driven from FL the day before. One problem I was having was after I had been on the road for a while once I slowed down for a turn it would stall and was hard to get going again.
The day it broke down I noticed the oil pressure gauge dropping so I pulled over and it cut off then I couldn’t get it started again. It wasn’t running hot at all. It was running great then all of a sudden the oil pressure kept getting lower and lower. No loud noises, no banging or knocking, no steam.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

How do I know what GM engine to look for. I have been looking on eBay for rebuilt engines but I was looking for a 427 big block Chevy gas engine. How do I figure out what is comparable? I would love to find something to put in it that doesn’t cost $5000.
I want to keep it since I have already put all of this time into it but the people at the garage make it sound like it is hopeless
Old 03-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Any GM big block is a direct bolt in the only difference will be the exhaust manifolds.
If you change motor sizes you need to make sure the donor motor is out of a medium to heavy duty truck to get the correct manifolds. Everything else is/should be fairly straight forward.
A full rebuild of yours shouldn't cost more than 12-1500$ and another 12-1500$ for the labor in and out?
I find a lot of engines and parts on Craigslist.
I almost went and bought a running and could drive it before it got pulled out 460 and tranny last week for my old truck for 1100$ in central NC off of craigslist.
I think that shop is taking you for a ride.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #16

You probably do not want a 427 anyway...they are kind of a cult engine for hot rodders. You want a 454, not free of course, but generally less than a 427 because of the above reason. 454's are very common and are easy to find as crate engines or long blocks. All the accessories) carb. alternator, intake, oil pan, timing cover. etc. on your present engine are bolt-ons. Just google JEGS or Summit Racing and you can get an education. "Goodwrench" is the name of the engines made by Chevrolet. Also "jasper" is another builder of engines with a good reputation. 1k should be plenty for remove and replace labor. Been a while since i have done one, but it is not that difficult to r and r. Don't give up on it...a different engine is not that big a deal. A new or rebuilt engine would give you many years of travel time.
JRandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:05 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

I have a question then. I was taking it to a business to complete the construction on the inside. So could I have it towed there, have them finish the construction and Rebuild a engine at home and then just take it up there and pay someone to put the engine in when I go to pick it up?
I guess my question is can I rebuild in a different location than where the bus is?
Sorry if that is a dumb question, just trying to keep my bus ��
Old 03-30-2018, 04:11 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
How do I know what GM engine to look for. I have been looking on eBay for rebuilt engines but I was looking for a 427 big block Chevy gas engine. How do I figure out what is comparable? I would love to find something to put in it that doesn’t cost $5000.
I want to keep it since I have already put all of this time into it but the people at the garage make it sound like it is hopeless
Oh course, that's most shops...it's happened to me...if you give up they hoping you'd hand them the title...don't!!!

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
I have a question then. I was taking it to a business to complete the construction on the inside. So could I have it towed there, have them finish the construction and Rebuild a engine at home and then just take it up there and pay someone to put the engine in when I go to pick it up?
I guess my question is can I rebuild in a different location than where the bus is?
Sorry if that is a dumb question, just trying to keep my bus ��
Yes you can rebuild a engine and take it to the bus...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #20

yes...it can be rebuilt anywhere and then transported to the shop where it is located. If you buy a crate motor, just have them ship it to that address so you don't have to transport it another way. There are different configurations for 454's depending on the year. So...whatever year your bus is that will be the year engine you want to find. Some engines cover several years in application, so it would be safe to buy any year included in that list. Your engine will actually have a number on it... I think on a 454 it will be visible just behind the distributor at the back of the engine just before it bolts to the tranny. If you google that number, you will find out everything about your present engine. Then you will be confident that you have the right info to pass on to the parts store where you will buy the new or rebuilt engine. That info will include the year, four-bolt or two-bolt main, carburated or fuel injected...the parts store should know how to interpret it. Not sure what year your bus is, but that will determine a lot of things as well. Don't be afraid of it, just educate yourself. Generally speaking, I would not go to autozone or some such store...go to a NAPA store, find the oldest guy there and ask him your questions. The young new guys only know how to read the computer...most have never even had greasy hands.
JRandall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus for sale, spray foam insulation, titled as motorhome