Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
Bus Nut

For sale

This is very difficult so please bear with me. I'm selling my bus. I have so many projects I need to simplify my life. The main motivation is I have a homebuilt airplane project that may turn into a business for me and there's no way I can convert my bus and build the airplane at the same time. Believe me, buying a skoolie and converting it has been a dream for a long time and will be something I pursue again when I have the chance. So, here's the details:

40' 84 passenger '85 Thomas SafTLiner RE 3208NA 210hp with automatic chains. Seats are out. Roof is painted with 3M insulation. Front and rear name brand tires are 85% except for one tire on the back (you could still drive cross-country with that tire). Storage underneath. Extra battery compartment. Spare tire compartment. Front end is nice and straight. The bus is very quiet with no extra rattles or sqeeks.

It is in great condition. Everything works. It's been out of school service for slightly over a year (state school bus inspection expired 08/07). It has been well maintained by the school district and has had a going over by the mechanics at the bus garage where I work. Fuel mileage is as high as 9mpg but averages about 7.5. It's the heaviest kind of school bus so that's pretty decent mpg. The mechanics at the school district I bought it from said that it has a rebuilt engine in it and that it was a stand-by bus for about five years so the mileage on the engine is pretty low. I have no way to prove it (they didn't keep the paperwork when they sold it). The tranny's rebuilt. I run the bus 10 miles every week and occasionally take longer trips. We went to CA this past summer (5000 miles) and the bus ran flawlessly.

If interested, send me a message. If I don't get a response here I'll reluctantly post it on eBay. Check my other postings for more info and of course I'm willing to answer any questions.

Rick

For some reason I'm not able to upload a picture. Please check "Whew boy howdy I must be crazy" under the bus conversion projects board- there's some pictures of the bus on the second page.

boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:34 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: For sale

boojiewoojie you disappoint me! I was looking forward to maybe meeting you and your family somewhere on the road on a campground one day, and sit together at the camp fire and swap conversion stories. I guess it wasnt ment to bee.
I wish you and your's all the best, hopefully your airplane business will work out. GOD BLESS!!!

Quote:
Daddy can we go on a trip again?
Does this not mean more to you then a business ??? They grow up very fast and soon they dont wanna go on trips anymore, and then you'll feel lonely and need a hobby like building airplanes.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Yes, Swinada I'm disappointed too. Hopefully the bus won't sell and I'll be "forced" to keep it. We loved traveling in it last summer but what's driving me coo-coo is that other priorities get in the way of me working on it.

Concerning the children here's the rest of the story: I play in a band and the family frequently travels with me. We play mostly in a 200 mile radius. Sounds perfect to have a bus to travel in, right? Well, the band has a conversion van and the band pays operating expense on the van. We also get to use the van for personal trips and the band pays maintanence costs. So, it's kind of hard to take the bus right now. Obviously a bus is the best option as the band starts traveling more. The other guys love the bus idea, but it's just not feasible right now.

The band also affects our talk of traveling in the summers. All of my children are very talented and are working on having their own band so my wife's childhood dreams of haveing a family traveling band is probably comeing to reality in the next couple of years.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. We love to travel and traveling on our own bus that we've converted seems as natural and right as the sun coming up in the morning. As my wife said, "Well, I'm not real happy about selling this one, but, I guess we can always buy another when the time comes."
Old 11-12-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
Bus Geek

i dug out the pic's

apparently not quite finished painting yet in this photo

unpainted

Old 11-12-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
Bus Geek

that's a near perfect bus for driving from here to burningman. Perhaps if this deal with the 60 footer doesn't work out i'll buy this thing! Tennesee isn't too far away.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
so my wife's childhood dreams of haveing a family traveling band is probably comeing to reality in the next couple of years.
and from hence on we called them the Partridge Family.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Thanks Lapeer. For some reason I couldn't get them to pull up. Swinada, I actually knew and played some gigs with the drummer of the group that the Partridge Family was based on. Anybody remember the Cowsills?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojiewoojie
Thanks Lapeer. For some reason I couldn't get them to pull up. Swinada, I actually knew and played some gigs with the drummer of the group that the Partridge Family was based on. Anybody remember the Cowsills?
Sure do. I'm telling my age but I picked with some of those old guys (leon Russell, Elvin Bishop, John Cale.) I operate a little studio now in central Arkansas. Can't be to far from you. If you guys feel like jammin' give me a holler sometime. I guess I had better not buy your bus though, It's hard to convince the wife that you need 2.
Good Luck selling it if that is what you want to do.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
Skoolie

i'm interested in the bus, I'll be back in the country later this week.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #10

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlor1
i'm interested in the bus, I'll be back in the country later this week.

I know, you're still in Paris. You keep sending me a PM telling me that. Not exactly sure why?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Well, sold the bus today to a really nice guy that seems to know what he's up to! I was sad to see it go, but hopefully it won't be sitting around getting lonely anymore...
Rick
Old 11-24-2007, 08:12 PM   #12
Almost There

How much did you let it go for?
behappystupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:19 AM   #13
Bus Nut