Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2022, 07:21 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
FOR SALE: Blue Bird activity bus by Arizona school

Note: This is not my bus, but there's too much information for this to fit well in the "non affiliated" bus sales thread.

Our local small school district here near Flagstaff, AZ is selling 3 buses which they're no longer using. They asked for my help in evaluating them and I gladly volunteered to do so. Two of the buses are not running and are either parts or scrap buses. But one is a full-sized Blue Bird activity bus which started right up after I loaned it some batteries and found the unmarked battery cutoff circuit.

I made a video of the buses, showing all three but focusing on the Blue Bird. It shows the bus running and driving. The 2000 Blue Bird has storage bays, a Cummins 24 Valve 5.9L diesel engine, an Allison World Series transmission (so, not an AT545), no rust at all, and seems to be in good overall condition. It's got a bit under 174K miles on the odometer.

Here's a link to the video: https://youtu.be/zmBgI1jDOHc

The school district is obligated to sell these through a public bid submission offering, with bids submitted by mail or in person. They listed the sale in the local Williams AZ newspaper. Bids must be submitted by July 14, after which they'll be opened and the sale will be awarded to the highest bidder.

While I'm not affiliated with this sale or these buses, I do live nearby and am happy to support our local school and the buyer. If someone from Skoolie.net buys the BB, I will be available to jump start (if needed) and help get them on the road.

The address for the bids is: Maine Consolidated School District, 10 North Spring Valley Road, Parks, Arizona, 86018

Here's the text from the newspaper listing with all the details:

MAINE CONSOLIDATED SCHOOL DISTRICT #10

19720212 61 Closed Bid Auction USA

Maine Consolidated School District #10 will be holding a closed bid auction for three buses. The buses being sold are;

Bus # 2 Type C, 1993 Ford, 47 passengers, engine model is Ford. (Running, but needs fuel pump repair.)

Bus # 12 Type C, 2010 Thomas Freightliner, 66 passengers, engine model Cummins. (Needs engine repairs, not running)

Bus # 32 Type D, 2001 Blue Bird, 84 passengers, engine model Cummins Campaign.

Minimum bid will start at $3,500.00 for bus 32, $1,200.00 for Bus #2 and $700 for Bus #12

No district employee or associate of employee may place a bid.

Bids will be accepted by mail, or in person at the district office. We will except bids from this date June 8 until July 14, 2022. Bids are due no later than 3:30 pm on July 14th by 3:30. Each sealed bid must be submitted in a sealed envelope, addressed to the District clearly marked on the outside of the envelope, "Sealed Bid for Maine Consolidated School.

Awards will be announced July 21st by phone & will be announced on the district website. All bids must be sealed upon delivery. Please include your name & phone number. Awardee of the bid is responsible for pickup of the bus. Payment must be made by cashier's check or credit card within 7 days of being awarded the bid & before taking possession.

rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:20 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

The school district posted the info on their website, with some photos:

https://mcsd10.org/mcsd-is-selling-buses/
Old 07-25-2022, 12:39 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Well...the district received no bids at all. I'm surprised nobody at least submitted the $3500 minimum for the Blue Bird activity bus...that would have been a great deal.

The district is now wondering what their other options are. If someone here is interested, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the school rep.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:58 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the ford thomas looked interesting to me but the fact its not Air-Conditioned and I cant drive it home to ohio was a non-starter for me.. it looks in great shape but "fuel pump repair" and the possibilty of lucas girling brakes (it didnt say) were the biggest stops for me... I dont want to get into something where id have to pay to ship a bus 3000 miles home as thats a long way from hoe to have to fly with tools to make repairs..

im also seeing big cracks in the market.. as is my buddy who sels RVs, the Hot skoolie market seems to be cooling down as families go back to traditional vacations (I fly for business and the airports are way busier than they were in 2019)...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:49 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Gosh thats funny. Everyone complains that they cant find a bus not being scalped by a dealer. A really nice price bus with full details. I would guess the buslife movement missed out since you had to mail in bids. I would tell the district to put it on govdeals or public surplus and it will be gone. Thanks for helping sell these buses, i hate the idea of them getting crushed..
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:06 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Hi all,

I got an update from the school. Since they did the whole snail mail bid process and didn't get bids, they can now just offer them for sale. They'll take $2500 for the Blue Bird and $500 for the other two (each, of course). If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the transportation manager.

If I didn't already have too many vehicles, and the plans to get out of the full-time bus business soon*, I'd buy that Blue Bird and flip it.

* My wife and I founded and built a food business (dropanfbomb.com) and we lost control and management authority in an investment deal. We recently signed the agreement to purchase back the business and it's going to take our full-time efforts to run that. I will continue to do smaller projects on buses and ambulance conversions...solar, roof raises, hitches and fabrication, etc. But I won't be taking on any more full conversion projects...except on our own Crown...finally!
Old 08-07-2022, 04:33 PM   #7

Thumbs up bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Well...the district received no bids at all. I'm surprised nobody at least submitted the $3500 minimum for the Blue Bird activity bus...that would have been a great deal.

The district is now wondering what their other options are. If someone here is interested, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the school rep.

hi is it still avaible to buy .. can i get more history on the bus. will it make a 1500 mile trip home. imformation of school rep
thanks for your time in helping an old fart out jack
kodiak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:01 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak_jack View Post
hi is it still avaible to buy .. can i get more history on the bus. will it make a 1500 mile trip home. imformation of school rep
thanks for your time in helping an old fart out jack
Hi Jack, the sale of that bus is pending. The probable buyer is supposed to arrive on Tuesday. Sorry, sir!