Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2018, 01:06 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: E-450 Collins
Engine: 7.3l Diesel
Found my perfect bus... but there's rust. Thoughts?

Hey all,

I have been looking for a while at 7.3l E450's and finally came across one that is in great shape mechanically, is under 200k miles, and is the right length.

However, after checking out the body, there is a good amount of surface corrosion and rust on the underside and some rust on the interior panel above the driver's seat (pictures below). One panel looks like it has been caulked and I'm worried about more water damage on the inside of the panel. I'm honestly not sure how big a deal these things are and was wondering if you all had any insight.

The bus has lived its whole life in NY so I'm sure it has seen its fair share of salt and such. However, it was meticulously maintained by the transit company that owns it, so I'm wondering if making a few sacrifices on body quality is worth the great running condition.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC07290.jpg   DSC07266.jpg   DSC07293.jpg   DSC07318.jpg   DSC07309.jpg  

DSC07317.jpg   DSC07305.jpg   DSC07306.jpg  

jmccoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Depending on your skill set that rust is nothing in my opinion. I found a local bus that I loved and it was BAD rusty (see pic). But as long as the frame cross beams are fine and you know how to use a sander or angle grinder and ospho you should not be that worried. I plan on actually cutting a cross support out and rewelding with square tube. I’m not a master rust assessor but if you are in love with the bus I say there’s no better day than today to start.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0772.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	20060
thrifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote