Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2023, 09:24 PM   #1

Exclamation FREE - 2001 GMC 3500 Thomas Short bus

Engine needs to be replaced! Need to move it ASAP or it's going to the scrapyard.

Needs to be picked up from Moraga, CA.

5-window short bus, partially converted. We traveled up and down the CA coast for ~6 months, working remotely from the bus, but I can't afford to fix the engine and we're parting ways. This guy needs a new home. I am grieving the loss but hoping someone can save him from the junkyard! I don't have a place to store the bus, so needs to move fast.

Mechanical: Engine ran without oil, root cause still unknown (no visible leaks, the oil must have burned off extremely rapidly). Transmission in good shape, two almost brand new catalytic converters installed in August. Battery and alternator in good shape. 6 tires ~1 year old. Bus was running well until it wasn't. V5.7L engine. 180k miles.

Solar: 5x 100W Renogy rigid solar panels affixed to the roof. My system was working well for my needs, but not at 100% capacity so might be an issue with one or two of the panels, or it could have been my old wires/connectors. The panels are not visibly damaged. I am keeping the rest of the solar components.

Interior: sink with faucet and pressurized water pump, 30gal water tank. Outdoor shower through the handicap door with propane water heater. Full-sized bed (mattress included). Cot-sized couch frame. Desk and electrical panel. Wood burning fireplace.

I'll add more pics soon.
Attached Thumbnails
569D9A95-806D-44DC-814D-7F6DDD3AC570.jpg   IMG_5674.jpg   IMG_5675.jpg   IMG_5677.jpg   234317B2-58D6-4A75-B4E6-F00307D7E869.jpg  

cokesmcstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 09:27 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Free!

Great Opportunity
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 09:29 PM   #3

Updated to add location - Moraga CA
Old 10-18-2023, 03:37 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Darn shame IMO.
My 4 window is small and if you weren't on the opposite end of the country from me, I'd grab it and likely pay you something for it as well!

It has to have value beyond the scrapyard for someone.
Have you tried craigslist or fb market yet?
Anyhoo, best of luck to you on the disposal of this rig...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 04:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Darn shame IMO.
My 4 window is small and if you weren't on the opposite end of the country from me, I'd grab it and likely pay you something for it as well!

It has to have value beyond the scrapyard for someone.
Have you tried craigslist or fb market yet?
Anyhoo, best of luck to you on the disposal of this rig...
It is a darn shame. I don't have a place to store it while I try to find someone to save it, without paying an arm and a leg (and the 7-8 storage facilities I've called don't even have room for it atm). Really wish I could find a new home for it. This is a last resort.

If anyone can pick it up in the next couple days, the title is yours.
Old 10-21-2023, 07:15 PM   #6

I've been looking for a new project, and I'm very close, I just don't have a way to tow it ~10mi.
BusSearching1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 11:31 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Jimmy/Corbeil
Chassis: 96 International 3800
Engine: T444E, AT545
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokesmcstokes View Post
Engine needs to be replaced! Need to move it ASAP or it's going to the scrapyard.

Needs to be picked up from Moraga, CA.

5-window short bus, partially converted. We traveled up and down the CA coast for ~6 months, working remotely from the bus, but I can't afford to fix the engine and we're parting ways. This guy needs a new home. I am grieving the loss but hoping someone can save him from the junkyard! I don't have a place to store the bus, so needs to move fast.

Mechanical: Engine ran without oil, root cause still unknown (no visible leaks, the oil must have burned off extremely rapidly). Transmission in good shape, two almost brand new catalytic converters installed in August. Battery and alternator in good shape. 6 tires ~1 year old. Bus was running well until it wasn't. V5.7L engine. 180k miles.

Solar: 5x 100W Renogy rigid solar panels affixed to the roof. My system was working well for my needs, but not at 100% capacity so might be an issue with one or two of the panels, or it could have been my old wires/connectors. The panels are not visibly damaged. I am keeping the rest of the solar components.

Interior: sink with faucet and pressurized water pump, 30gal water tank. Outdoor shower through the handicap door with propane water heater. Full-sized bed (mattress included). Cot-sized couch frame. Desk and electrical panel. Wood burning fireplace.

I'll add more pics soon.
Hey have you considered just going to the scrapyard for a used engine?
jimmy649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 10:12 PM   #8

Arrow

I would love to give this guy a second life, i can be there asap if you're still selling:)
iszy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:40 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Do you still have the bus?
Carrier6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classifieds, free, parts, short bus