Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2022, 03:52 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird All American Re
Engine: Cat 3126
Free RV generator

I am cleaning out the garage today and have a Generac PROPANE generator that needs a few things. First, it needs a new home. I got it thinking it would be great for my bus conversion because propane is a great standby fuel, it doesn't go bad. Second, it needs somebody who knows about propane engines and repair, or is willing to take up a new hobby, or has somebody who is knowledgeable that can help. Third, probably gonna need something in the propane department replaced, or repaired, or tuned properly. I was able to start and run the engine on carb cleaner long enough to check that it was putting out voltage when I bought it so I know it runs and puts out voltage but that is all I know. The top was removed to get access to the propane regulator and that is as far as they got with it. I have the top and the regulator (don't know the condition of regulator). Serial # 5056411, item # 0047051. First person that wants to drive to Gulfport Mississippi and pick it up can have it, otherwise it's going to the road for some scrapper to pick up. I need it gone this weekend! Pizza and Coca-Cola gladly accepted as gratuity!

bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:02 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
ok?
yes you can fire a propane genny on carb cleaner long enough to see voltage?
what damage was done to the valves?
make model serial number would be my starting point.
a converted an lng motor that runs on carb clean?
it wasnt right to begin with?
my opinion?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:29 PM   #3
Skoolie

Ok?
What damage to valves? Trying to start the engine on carb cleaner doesn't hurt the engine. I wouldn't leave it run on carb cleaner or any other alternative fuel source long enough to damage anything and you don't run anything in a test situation under any load either. Model and serial number were in the original post for anybody to do any research on before they decided to pick up a free generator that the engine runs great with no mechanical problems I could hear in the 30 seconds or so that it ran. No knocking or rattling, low oil pressure switch didn't kill the ignition, and the generator did produce electricity. I don't know anything about the propane part of the system and I decided to buy a predator from harbor freight because it is light, quiet, can pick up another one if it breaks while out on the road, and have decided to run off of battery priority and only need a generator to charge batteries when no shore power is available and solar wasn't able to keep up.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:54 PM   #4
Bus Geek

understand your situation.
but the difference between a genny that runs on propane and carb clean is significant.
i didnt get the link in our original post but if the unit is built to run on propane with the correct orifice size for propane and you made it run with carb clean then maybe you didnt hurt it? but i am talking about the cylinder head valves.
the different fuel like carb clean usually fires sooner and is hotter than the propane?
one is a dry gas vapor and one is a liquid.
not saying you caused damage?
with a propane powered genny i dont know how it ever ran on carb clean?
please the smarter than me tell me it happens?
Old 06-11-2022, 06:23 PM   #5
Skoolie

You take the air filter housing off, start cranking the engine, while cranking spray a shot of carb cleaner from a pressurized spray can, if it starts keep spraying a light spray or short bursts and stop cranking engine and it will run and stay running as long as you keep spraying. I have been doing this for 25+ years on all kinds of different engines (not diesel) its not brain surgery, it is a way to see if the mechanicals of the engine are ok. If it starts like this you have some sort of fuel problem, if not you have another problem. It is just a troubleshooting tool, nothing more, nothing less. Hope this clarifies the situation.
Old 06-12-2022, 12:01 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Years ago I and a coworker drove a class A motor home about 3 miles on carb cleaner. I sprayed the carb and he drove. It was a rough ride but we made it back to the shop. Big block chevy
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:38 PM   #7
Bus Geek

yes but it wasnt converted to run on propane.
not saying it cant happen and i have never tried to make a propane unit run on carb clean.
i have used that method many times and at one point when i was by myself and already new the truck was having fuel issues i had a couple of cans of carb clean and a small tube ran from the drivers seats to the carb choke plate and every time it tried to cut out i would give it a shot and it would pick it prime back up for a little bit.
ended up being a pin hole in the carb float and i blew the power valve playing with it.
yeah i know carb clean and its uses.
and if you dont know where the cuts are on your grimey hands it will let you know each and every one.
Old 06-12-2022, 06:11 PM   #8
Skoolie

Correct, not converted to run on propane, it came from the factory as a propane generator.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:45 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I am a bit to far away but would certainly take it if I was closer.

I do not see how carb cleaner would hurt it for test running, I too have done that many times.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:11 PM   #10
Skoolie

Thanks Ronnie, I wish you were closer too, I hate to see this think end up in a scrap pile when it could be useful to someone and save them some money.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:15 PM   #11

Year: 2007
Coachwork: International, Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E, International
Rated Cap: 72 passengers
Generac generator

Hi, come on. No need to get technical. The guy is offering a free generator. Doesn't matter if it was test run on carb cleaner. If I wasn't so far away. I'd grab it also. My Superior motorhome is on propane so this would have been perfect for me.
Dave1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:56 PM   #12

Year: 2005
Chassis: Thomas HDX
Engine: Cat 7.2
It doesn’t happen…. It would damage the piston(s) long before the valves. If you are running a test like he did, VERY doubtful any damage was done…… now if you were talking about a Diesel engine damage could happen quicker, but then again, pistons would fail long before valves. What he did in his quick test would be a non-issue with me and I’ve been wrenching on engines for 44 years now.
Brian-Ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 12:53 AM   #13

I'd be more than happy to fly there and pick it up. If you brought it to the airport, I'd buy your lunch lol. Going to fly it back via cargo. Just can't have any fuel in it. Oil is fine. Would make a great learning project and I'd end up with a working generator out of it.

If anybody else wants it, I would happily defer to them.
ChrisTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:53 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: P30
Engine: 454ci Big Block Chevrolet
Cool! I've been looking for something just like this for my house. I live in New Orleans. I can come get it.
craigify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:14 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Do you still have the generator?
dozr62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:22 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I am a bit to far away but would certainly take it if I was closer.

I do not see how carb cleaner would hurt it for test running, I too have done that many times.

its still a spark-plug engine on propane and not a diesel correct? seems if so , carb cleaner wont detonate in a low compression engine without spark so id think the engine would run fine for testing.. diesel would be a different story as spraying any kind of fuel soruce in the air intake ruins the concept of ignition timing
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:28 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

I did a little research on switching a gas generator to propane and you either need to change the carburetor and or use a certain regulator valve. Most of the time the reason they won’t start is the low Speer jet on top of the carburetor they are very simple to fix one Phillips head screw holds a plug covering the jet . Take out spray carb cleaner in put back together. I bought two identical inverter generators new consecutive numbers one ran perfect one needed half choke to run smooth after break in the sat a month and only one would run. Low speed jet clean up and they both run perfect from then on.
dozr62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 11:39 PM   #18
Skoolie

I do still have the generator but someone is supposed to be coming to get it. I will post whether they do or not.

Tags
generac free, generator