Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Free seats

I will have seats available out of my bus soon they are a little nicer than the standard school bus seats some are in good shape some are a little worn. I have them for sale locally for a few bucks a piece but if anyone from this community can use them and wants to come get them they are yours. Storage around my place is at a premium so if I don't have a place for them to go soon they will get scraped out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2804.jpg   IMG_2803.jpg  

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Wish I was closer, I would get 2
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I wish I had some of those
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
Skoolie

come get them!
Old 09-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
where are they? i want those side panels with the A/C ducts in them!!!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
Skoolie

I'm in the middle of Kansas, I haven't decided if I'm keeping the ductwork, I will probably be leaving at least one of the AC units. I'm not sure I'll need both once insulated or not
Old 09-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #7
Bus Geek

definitely keep at least one A/C. if not both!!!

-Christopher
Old 09-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
definitely keep at least one A/C. if not both!!!

-Christopher
I can't really think of any other reasonable way to keep 40' of bus cool going down the road. I really wanted to make a system that could run the compressor on 110 while parked the fans should be able to run on house batteries while stationary and should keep up as long as the unit doesn't run constantly. but I think the amp draw of a motor big enough to spin even one of the compressors will be too high. Seems like a waste to have 2 completely separate systems for air conditioning. I haven't completely given up hope there may be some experimenting in my future. I don't actually know how much HP it would take to spin the compressor at 2500 rpm maybe it's less than I think... you seem quite knowledgeable about AC Cadillac would it be feasible to run one of the units on shore power?
Old 09-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I can't really think of any other reasonable way to keep 40' of bus cool going down the road. I really wanted to make a system that could run the compressor on 110 while parked the fans should be able to run on house batteries while stationary and should keep up as long as the unit doesn't run constantly. but I think the amp draw of a motor big enough to spin even one of the compressors will be too high. Seems like a waste to have 2 completely separate systems for air conditioning. I haven't completely given up hope there may be some experimenting in my future. I don't actually know how much HP it would take to spin the compressor at 2500 rpm maybe it's less than I think... you seem quite knowledgeable about AC Cadillac would it be feasible to run one of the units on shore power?
This is exactly what I want to do but have no clue how to make it happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #10
Bus Geek

mechanical cooling takes Horseopower... there were busses which had pony engines that did just the Air-conditioners.. little mitsubishi engines with 20-40 Horsepower were common. these bus units are typically 50,000 + BTU each.. and you have 2... these units are designed to get cold not be efficient particularly.. so driving one with an electric motor is going to be a large FEAT..

the BEST scenerio for the most comfort is to have variable speed minisplits for Parked-Air. and then at least one bus unit for road-air.. after you imnsulate and remove / update windows you are not likel;y to need as much A/C as you have noiw, however one of those units.. re-ducted to provide its most cooling to the front of the bus is going to be welcome when you are driving down the highway into the summer sun..

I added custom Dash A/C to my DEV bus. and SOOO glad I did that!.. my red bus has a rear unit which cools great after I re-vamped it a bit. but needs to be ducted to the front as it makes the back of the bus a freezer while im just cool up front..
-Christopher
Old 09-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #11
Skoolie

I think it could be done relatively easily if you have the tools. A pulley would have to be made and attached that would bolt to the front of the compressor. This pulley would not be attached to the clutch. That pulley would be driven by a 110v motor of unknown size. The rest of the fans in the system run on 12 volt DC so they could run of your batteries/charger. I haven't gotten to far into the controls on my units but I think they are fairly basic high and low so it may be as easy as a relay or switch to source power to the fans from either truck or house batteries and putting a thermostat controlling relay that would control your D.C. Power to the fans and AC power to the compressor. The biggest problem I see is the amp draw for the motor running the compressor.

If you figure it out let me know!
Old 09-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #12
Skoolie

If I don't end up needing some of this duct you are welcome to it. I kind of doubt I'll use much of it, I need most of the space for storage.

What you are saying makes sense I feel like the motor that could run the compressor will be a huge load for the electrical system. I will do an amp draw on all of the fans that run when the AC is going they may be quite a bit as well.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:06 AM   #13
Bus Geek

You would need a generator to drive the compressor motor for a system that large , plus a pretty darn big and heavy motor. By that time you may as well install separate aircon for being parked.
Christopher
Old 09-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
It would be cheaper and easier to put in a mini split for parked AC
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #15
Skoolie

We started taking the seats out last night, they are coming out fairly easy and not getting torn up/cut in the process. I don't have room to keep them inside so they will be getting scrapped soon if anyone wants any and thinks they will be in the area I'll take some to the basement otherwise they will go straight to scrap/trash. Let me know so I can sort out the best ones
Old 09-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
We started taking the seats out last night, they are coming out fairly easy and not getting torn up/cut in the process. I don't have room to keep them inside so they will be getting scrapped soon if anyone wants any and thinks they will be in the area I'll take some to the basement otherwise they will go straight to scrap/trash. Let me know so I can sort out the best ones
I presume they are vinyl and not cloth seats? Do they recline? Can't really tell with the pics..... Sorry.

M
Old 09-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #17
Skoolie

They are vinyl and don't recline.