Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Free stuff is good...

Hi there,

I know it'd be a lot of work, but a free bus is a free bus. I ran across this today, while wasting time at work.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/zip/547405364.html

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Free stuff is good...

I would be on that camper like a fat kid on a cupcake if I lived closer. I bet it has plenty of good skoolie converting stuff inside and it sure would make a nice car hauler, even if I had to sink $300 into new bearings, brakes, etc.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
I bet it has plenty of good skoolie converting stuff inside and it sure would make a nice car hauler, even if I had to sink $300 into new bearings, brakes, etc.

my kind of guy! although i like mobile home frames a lil bit better for car haulers. too bad it's all 2600+ miles away from me, lol.

chase
Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I know, huh? Now that I am "in tune" with the Skoolie side of my brain, I tend to see a lot of cool busses around here. The problem, for me at least, is parking these cool rides in this wonderfully congested Bay Area. You can probably buy it, maybe drive it around, but never park it.

Fingers crossed I get this lease on a giant industrial work/live illegally warehouse. The rent will put me in the poor house, but I can have as many skoolies as I want, and weld/hammer/saw all night long. Sounds like heaven!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
I know, huh? Now that I am "in tune" with the Skoolie side of my brain, I tend to see a lot of cool busses around here. The problem, for me at least, is parking these cool rides in this wonderfully congested Bay Area. You can probably buy it, maybe drive it around, but never park it.
ditto on the parking, lol. i live in a small city (50,000 pop =/-), but it's too cramped and full of college students!

Quote:
Fingers crossed I get this lease on a giant industrial work/live illegally warehouse. The rent will put me in the poor house, but I can have as many skoolies as I want, and weld/hammer/saw all night long. Sounds like heaven!
i been there. i lived in a warehouse illegally for about 2.5 years before my dad sold his '72 bluebird. i think it was like 2000 sq ft., which is the perfect size for 2 skoolies (one we lived in, the other we were building for some friends). i would be happy with a small level lot to park one on myself!

chase
Old 01-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus
It's too bad the bus on Craigslist doesn't have an engine and transmission with it, but I suppose if a guy was smart enough and was able to find the right parts, he could the thing moving. Y
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac ... 0216233002

There's your engine and it's backed by a TH-400 tranny.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
i stayed a nite in a place just like that in san fran once. i thought i was pretty cool, but i 'm a country boy myself.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
There's your engine and it's backed by a TH-400 tranny.
I think I catch your drift; from everything I've learned thus far: it's pretty much impossible for a Chevrolet 350 sb to be beyond repair. I should probably be more concerned about the body and the effect the road salt has on it.
That one goes even beyond the 350 small block. That one there is 500 cubic inches of pure Cadillac torque. In 1970 they actually put out 400 horsepower and 550 ft lbs of torque. They are truly a diesel slayer. They also have a very high nickel content in the block which makes them stronger, more wear resistant, and lighter. In fact, if you put an aluminum intake on a Caddy 500 it weighs only 60 pounds more than that 350 in your bus. Put aluminum heads on it and it weighs substantially LESS than your 350. Yep, the Caddy 472/500 may well be my favorite engine of all time.

Did I mention that bone stock they can handle a 200 shot of nitrous? That should get a bus moving from a stop sign just fine.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, I wish I'd been around here ten years ago, with the money to buy a few warehouses. It seems like I am a bit late, to actually live in a warehouse on the cheap. I'm sure there are a few hidden gems still around, but most of them seem to be bought up by investors, who slap some lights in 'em, maybe put up a bit of sheetrock, then rent them out or sell them for exhorbitant amounts of $$$$.