Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Fuel Tank for 2002 International

Hey Everyone!

My fuel tank is rusted to hell and I'm looking for a replacement. The OEM part number is 2014747C92. It's a 35 gallon tank, 3 feet long, somewhere between 18 and 20 inches wide (hard to tell because it's inside a big cage). If I get it from International it would be $1500+ CAD and I can't afford that.

Also looking for advice in regards to fuel tanks. I wasn't foreseeing this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Mooncalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
How big is the cage by inside measurements? Find a tank that fills that space, length, width and height. Get that and then start looking and asking,
lots of used tanks out there but will someone guarantee they are clean.
That is a big factor.

Where in Algonquin Territory?

John
Old 07-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Universal Fuel Tanks
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:44 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Hey, thank you both for the responses. As you may be able to tell, I don't know anything about fuel tanks. Since I'm leaving on a big trip out West soon I am basically planning to just epoxy the **** out of my rusty fuel tank with Permatex fuel tank sealant and come back to this problem in the Fall.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but why is it important that the fuel tank is clean, and how can I ascertain whether it is or not? And what information do I need, other than the dimensions, to give to the people at places I'm calling around to?

To answer your question, John, home base for me is Ottawa-Gatineau, but I am continually moving... I am interested in learning more about where to get bus parts... I was told that Beeton Truck Wreckers North of Toronto is one of the best spots, but I suspect there would be some place close to Montreal as well. I'd appreciate leads.

Thanks!
Mooncalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:16 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncalf View Post

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but why is it important that the fuel tank is clean, and how can I ascertain whether it is or not? And what information do I need, other than the dimensions, to give to the people at places I'm calling around to?

Thanks!
Just about every tank sealer I have used needed the tank to be surgically clean. This usually included shaking the chit out of it with chains or nuts and bolts inside, and even then they didn't last long and were a royal PITA to clean out to redo. That is until I found Caswells Tank Sealer With it's Thixotropic properties it actually prefers a rusty surface to bond too. Don't know how big your tank is, might cost a few bucks for multiple kits.

https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy...nk-sealer.html
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:42 AM   #6
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
OP does not mention whether this is a flatnose or dognose, but a dognose is typically built on an incomplete truck chassis, and would likely have a factory tank like any other truck built on a given chassis (Ford F700, International 3800, GMC C6500, etc). I have noticed that quite a few salvage yards (not U-pull-its, the kind that strip a car of all useable parts, crush the shell and wait to sell what has been stripped) will use school bus bodies for storage sheds when their main building space runs out. Possible you could score a usable tank this way.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:51 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I have one I am looking to upgrade. Want the old one? I'm in GA, though.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote