Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Human poo is not compost and just because it eventually decomposes that way should never be used as such. It is biohazard material and should be treated as such. If maintained and used properly the black holding tank works just fine and is very easy to drain properly in to an approved sani sewer line for treatment. People that use these poop buckets or "composting" toilets then dispose of their little gift bags in the trash can at the next rest stop are really not being very nice. It's actually a crime!
If you don't want the expense and build time associated with plumbing and holding tanks then maybe research cassette toilets(the norm in European caravans)
Cheers

Oscar

Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:50 PM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Human poo is not compost and just because it eventually decomposes that way should never be used as such. It is biohazard material and should be treated as such. If maintained and used properly the black holding tank works just fine and is very easy to drain properly in to an approved sani sewer line for treatment. People that use these poop buckets or "composting" toilets then dispose of their little gift bags in the trash can at the next rest stop are really not being very nice. It's actually a crime!
If you don't want the expense and build time associated with plumbing and holding tanks then maybe research cassette toilets(the norm in European caravans)
Cheers

Oscar

Oh great. More mis-information.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:00 PM   #23
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
all imn saying is EVERY bus that ive been in which has a "compost" toilet i can smell it the minute i walk in the door... ive not experienced the same thing with RV toilets for the most part.. not saying that ill-maintained RV toilets dont stink.. because I have smelled an ill-maintained RV toilet before... same as ive smelled people's house toilets that dont clean em!

We need to compare clean to clean, or non-clean to non-clean. That's the only way we can have meaningful discussion.

People that cheap out on their cover material in a compost toilet or bucket lou will have a stink issue. Many not only cheap out, but refuse to read or experiment to find a combo that works. Others don't know how to clean their system properly when they empty it.

Some of us do know how to clean our systems and have spent time and money to find a cover material that actually works.

The same scenarios can be applied to the black tank systems and rv style toilets. Some know, some dont.

You may have even stepped inside an rv or tiny house etc., that had a bucket lou or some composting toilet, and not even known.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:45 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl Smoke View Post
Oh great. More mis-information.
Your crap and mine is full of virus's, pathogen's and who knows what else.
Dry latrines (urine diverting) require a 6-12 inactive period to allow for decomposition to render the dry fecal matter potentially safe for handling if materials meet the (WHO 1996) guideline of 3-8 nematode eggs per gram of dry material.
Sorry I couldn't find anything that said it was ok to hide your fresh sh*t in the trash can at the local Circle K for the clerk to find.
Cheers
Old 03-30-2021, 08:09 AM   #25
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Your crap and mine is full of virus's, pathogen's and who knows what else.
Dry latrines (urine diverting) require a 6-12 inactive period to allow for decomposition to render the dry fecal matter potentially safe for handling if materials meet the (WHO 1996) guideline of 3-8 nematode eggs per gram of dry material.
Sorry I couldn't find anything that said it was ok to hide your fresh sh*t in the trash can at the local Circle K for the clerk to find.
Cheers

Calm down.......calm down. Remember what the prison doctor told you, don't mix your Xanax with those street pills anymore. Everything will be ok. We don't need anymore depression caused murder/suicides.

Now, thank you for stereo typing all of us that use an alternative waste management means into a bunch of lawless, meth addicted, thugs.

I'm willing to bet that I have witnessed more black tank rvs, and more construction and landscape porta-potties, back into field entrances and pull the valve. Pull over to the side of the rural road and pull the valve. And more recently with the "homeless" surge, pull over a grocery store parking lot drain and pull the valve, than you have witnessed people throwing a bag'o'crap into a store dumpster. Yet,...I know they are but a small portion of the black tank campers and other users out there. The greatest majority are responsible folks that use proper disposal sites and maintain their systems as best they know how.

W.H.O.?.....really?.....may as well consult the star tabloid. Just as credible. Since we're just throwing any old info around as fact, here's a trade association's write up about diapers. You know,...if you have kids or elderly parents with issues, diapers are part of life and must be dealt with. No reason to go graphic here. Those that know, know. Those that don't, make assumptions.

The last outbreak of Cholera (the usual infection associated with raw sewage) here in the USA was over a hundred years ago. With all the sick people and sick infants utilizing the landfill infrastructure, and all the people in proximity or even contact with said waste, there should be all sorts of msm brain washing.............er, I mean "news" stories about people getting deathly ill.

Real composting, again, those that know.......make even human waste a safe soil nutrient for use in gardens, landscape etc. In fact,............oh wait, never mind. What was I thinking using such a non-pc word......... Sorry.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:27 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
We need to compare clean to clean, or non-clean to non-clean. That's the only way we can have meaningful discussion.

People that cheap out on their cover material in a compost toilet or bucket lou will have a stink issue. Many not only cheap out, but refuse to read or experiment to find a combo that works. Others don't know how to clean their system properly when they empty it.

Some of us do know how to clean our systems and have spent time and money to find a cover material that actually works.

The same scenarios can be applied to the black tank systems and rv style toilets. Some know, some dont.

You may have even stepped inside an rv or tiny house etc., that had a bucket lou or some composting toilet, and not even known.
Actually it’s the first thing I look at as I’ve considered adding a toilet to my mobile office for some time . I don’t pretend to know the difference between a trash bag and a compost pile. My idea of gardening is oh wait o don’t even eat vegetables ..

I only put out my observations about odor . And what I’ve walked in on. But while the discussion of this guys poor for sale thread has gone off the rails.. I’ll take it further. If I were to create a bucket toilet and find the right cover material and have a diverter such it doesn’t stink. What would I do with the waste? Seeing as how I don’t garden or want to in the least..

With a black tank or cassette toilet the path is clear you empty it into a dump station (or flush it in the same of a cassette).. but what is the approved method of bucket toilet disposal?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:36 AM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
What does that mean ?
While I am fully enjoying the lively discussion on this "for sale" thread, the biggest problem I see is that the OP took a great Wayne Gretzky quote "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take" and changed it to be a quote about drinking too much, which also might explain his high asking price and make possible buyers question his build quality if he was drunk whenever working on the bus.

However, sorry to interrupt the debate over black tank vs composting. I am still trying to decide which way to go, so please continue.
Mountain Yawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:51 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Yawp View Post
While I am fully enjoying the lively discussion on this "for sale" thread, the biggest problem I see is that the OP took a great Wayne Gretzky quote "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take" and changed it to be a quote about drinking too much, which also might explain his high asking price and make possible buyers question his build quality if he was drunk whenever working on the bus.

However, sorry to interrupt the debate over black tank vs composting. I am still trying to decide which way to go, so please continue.
Black tank, definitely.
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:02 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
all imn saying is EVERY bus that ive been in which has a "compost" toilet i can smell it the minute i walk in the door... ive not experienced the same thing with RV toilets for the most part.. not saying that ill-maintained RV toilets dont stink.. because I have smelled an ill-maintained RV toilet before... same as ive smelled people's house toilets that dont clean em!
Same here. I think people become immune to the stench of "composting" toilets.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:22 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
but what is the approved method of bucket toilet disposal?

When the neighboring camper refuses to respect quiet hours and keeps you up all night? Just about anything's fair game. Now that I think about it, our poo bucket is pert near full.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:29 AM   #31
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
When the neighboring camper refuses to respect quiet hours and keeps you up all night? Just about anything's fair game. Now that I think about it, our poo bucket is pert near full.
Now that is funny.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:54 PM   #32
Skoolie

Quote:
Actually it’s the first thing I look at as I’ve considered adding a toilet to my mobile office for some time . I don’t pretend to know the difference between a trash bag and a compost pile. My idea of gardening is oh wait o don’t even eat vegetables ..

I only put out my observations about odor . And what I’ve walked in on. But while the discussion of this guys poor for sale thread has gone off the rails.. I’ll take it further. If I were to create a bucket toilet and find the right cover material and have a diverter such it doesn’t stink. What would I do with the waste? Seeing as how I don’t garden or want to in the least..

With a black tank or cassette toilet the path is clear you empty it into a dump station (or flush it in the same of a cassette).. but what is the approved method of bucket toilet disposal?

Then a bucket system or composting toilet may not be for you or your situation.
Most people that choose the bucket system have a spot in their back yard to maintain a small compost pile or other contained composting methods. Urban folks, not so much. But it is important to know what composting is and how it works before venturing into such a system. There are many books and a lot of published papers on the subject of composting human waste. One that most will recommend is the "Humanure handbook". I have it and have read it and it is an awesome read. But that is only for those that can or wish to utilize such a system.
Many of us that do have space, and prefer the simplicity (in our minds) of a compost system, choose aerobic composting. Anaerobic also works, but is less known and usually presents more odor when "uncapped" for maintenance. If you had the interest, you can look those up. If not, don't.

But it does not sound like a composting system would work for your situation.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:43 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
My apologies to the OP upfront for the thread hijack.

The real conundrum pops up for those folks boondocking with a "composting" toilet.
Taking trips into town to dispose of the waste is annoying at best, illegal at worst.

If I was boondocking without an approved dump station handy, the waste bag and its contents would go into the fire pit towards the end of the night, and while the coals were still nice and hot. It burns into a non hazardous ash when done properly, and makes disposal easy, IMO.
Not too sure of the legality of that act, but: "It ain't a crime unless ya get caught".

In the event of no open burning while camping, uncertain how it "goes away"? Deep "cat holes", mebbe???
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:10 PM   #34
Skoolie

We live on 2 acres and have plenty of room for compost or just putting the dry waste on our large burn pile.
We used to camp in a travel trailer with a black tank, which was great until it is full 1-2 days sooner than expected, then the only option is finding a dump station. With a compost toilet we could always store the matter bags or a large plastic tub with lid in our under storage until getting back home.
It seems that both systems have their pros and cons.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:26 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

There is also an incinerator toilet that will turn your poops into sterile ashes. I haven’t experienced one in person but it seems like a good alternative.
Disastrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:01 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Calm down.......calm down. Remember what the prison doctor told you, don't mix your Xanax with those street pills anymore. Everything will be ok. We don't need anymore depression caused murder/suicides.

Now, thank you for stereo typing all of us that use an alternative waste management means into a bunch of lawless, meth addicted, thugs.

I'm willing to bet that I have witnessed more black tank rvs, and more construction and landscape porta-potties, back into field entrances and pull the valve. Pull over to the side of the rural road and pull the valve. And more recently with the "homeless" surge, pull over a grocery store parking lot drain and pull the valve, than you have witnessed people throwing a bag'o'crap into a store dumpster. Yet,...I know they are but a small portion of the black tank campers and other users out there. The greatest majority are responsible folks that use proper disposal sites and maintain their systems as best they know how.

W.H.O.?.....really?.....may as well consult the star tabloid. Just as credible. Since we're just throwing any old info around as fact, here's a trade association's write up about diapers. You know,...if you have kids or elderly parents with issues, diapers are part of life and must be dealt with. No reason to go graphic here. Those that know, know. Those that don't, make assumptions.

The last outbreak of Cholera (the usual infection associated with raw sewage) here in the USA was over a hundred years ago. With all the sick people and sick infants utilizing the landfill infrastructure, and all the people in proximity or even contact with said waste, there should be all sorts of msm brain washing.............er, I mean "news" stories about people getting deathly ill.

Real composting, again, those that know.......make even human waste a safe soil nutrient for use in gardens, landscape etc. In fact,............oh wait, never mind. What was I thinking using such a non-pc word......... Sorry.
I am calm but thanks for being concerned.

At no time did I suggest that you were a meth head or a thug or did I stereo type anyone for their choice of toilet system. I said human waste needs to be treated as such and not thrown in the trash can. You on the other hand immediately resort to derogatory comments and name calling, refering to me as an overly agitated, depressed, murderous pill popping convict. Classy!
If not the WHO how about the CDC? Do we trust them still? The 2010 Cholera outbreak in Haiti affected almost a million and killed over 10,000.
CDC still? Almost 2 million people die worldwide from diarrhea complications from exposure to, can you guess? Fecal matter.
So you've seen a bunch of people illegally dumping their holding tanks on a back country road, so by your standards just wrapping a few up and tossing in the can is way better because it's covered in sawdust?
I personally don't care if you want to cultivate your own poop like Matt Damon but I do care about any of it being dumped on the side of the road for others to experience.
So relax, go smoke a bowl and enjoy your poop covered kale salad!
(See what I did there? That's stereo typing)
Stay safe out there
Cheers

Oscar
Old 03-31-2021, 04:11 PM   #37

Here are my inexperienced and uneducated thoughts on the ASKING price on this coach. It's probably more in line with the current market than we wish to admit. Casually monitoring the used skoolie market to begin the project has revealed the market has exploded in the last 18-24 months. Good units that could be had for $800-1200 2 years ago are going anywhere from $3000-5000 with more desirable units (All American, TC2000 etc) going for even more. By the time you gut the thing, make it road worthy and install the amenities, he may not be far off. If one is interested, shoot him a reasonable offer. If not, move on. Sorry for the rant. I think I need another drink. LOL Stay safe, all!!
wushock92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:37 PM   #38
Skoolie

Maybe another reason so many of you don't like the seller's price is that YOU ARE BROKE, have no intention or ability to buy this seller's bus and couldn't rub 2 nickels together if you needed to anyway!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:09 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Actually, I'd like this bus to be sold close to the (shockingly high) asking price. Looking at his specs, that would mean mine worth way over 100k, which is a good news (it is about the amount I put in it, but I wouldn't have imagine I could sell it this high). Yay!
Old 03-31-2021, 05:13 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Maybe another reason so many of you don't like the seller's price is that YOU ARE BROKE, have no intention or ability to buy this seller's bus and couldn't rub 2 nickels together if you needed to anyway!
Bad day? Frustrated? Need a hug?