Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2021, 05:16 PM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBus View Post
Actually, I'd like this bus to be sold close to the (shockingly high) asking price. Looking at his specs, that would mean mine worth way over 100k, which is a good news (it is about the amount I put in it, but I wouldn't have imagine I could sell it this high). Yay!
Yup. Same here.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:10 PM   #42

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You scare away potential buyers who might make a reasonable offer.
I was thinking the same thing.
Zaara1453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:56 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
I love watching all the banter. Sometimes it’s very entertaining....... ONLY WHEN IM DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WORTHWHILE !!!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:17 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Maybe another reason so many of you don't like the seller's price is that YOU ARE BROKE, have no intention or ability to buy this seller's bus and couldn't rub 2 nickels together if you needed to anyway!
Frugal yes, hardly broke
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:55 PM   #45
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Maybe another reason so many of you don't like the seller's price is that YOU ARE BROKE, have no intention or ability to buy this seller's bus and couldn't rub 2 nickels together if you needed to anyway!
Just my casual observation and guessing based on professions, hobbies, other vehicles, ect of folks on this site indicates that there is a large spectrum of income and overall wealth levels. Yes, some are likely broke and should not have ever purchased a bus, but others have plenty of money and just do it for fun. That can also be said about handiness, skill, and knowledge. That is what makes it so great.
Mountain Yawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:11 PM   #46
Skoolie

Okay, I retract my last statement for one more sarcastic.
How can there be anyone broke on this website, because everyone knows that everyone building a skoolie just has to make some YouTube videos about it and they can be millionaires as long as people "smash that like button and subscribe".
Old 03-31-2021, 08:16 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Can't we all just get along?

I feel like if the sale price of converted bus is high that will just motivate my own build.

But I'm not into this for the therapeutic value of working on a super awesome project for 6 months of I'm lucky and do it all right.

If an already converted bus is cheap, I'd totally just buy it. Or an RV.
rgjarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:43 PM   #48

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Motor Coach Industries
Chassis: MCI MC9
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6v92TA two stroke
Rated Cap: old greyhound
I like it! Nicely done on the build
in fact outstanding. you may get a few nibbles on your bus.
good luck.
typewriterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
No matter what you try to sell around here you will get the same reaction. This is a tough crowd and the wrong place to list your bus. Indeed I wouldn’t part with mine for any less than you are asking.

So what is the opposite of this site? Where can you find hipsters with money, but no time or skills to build one?

SF Facebook marketplace?
Boulder?
Seattle?

Thirty ish folks have a lot more disposable income than ever before. Just go park your bus in Google’s parking lot with a sign on it.

I’m not knocking anybody. More power to em. I remember just wanting a reliable car🤷🏼😃.

$.02. Worth. ☮️
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:56 PM   #50
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
No matter what you try to sell around here you will get the same reaction. This is a tough crowd and the wrong place to list your bus. Indeed I wouldn’t part with mine for any less than you are asking.

So what is the opposite of this site?
Where can you find hipsters with money, but no time or skills to build one?

SF Facebook marketplace?
Boulder?
Seattle?

Thirty ish folks have a lot more disposable income than ever before. Just go park your bus in Google’s parking lot with a sign on it.

I’m not knocking anybody. More power to em. I remember just wanting a reliable car🤷🏼😃.

$.02. Worth. ☮️

As far as skoolie specific opposites, I have no idea. I doubt one exists. However, many rv sites have bus conversion pages they often include school bus conversation.

This site involves a lot of culture, skoolie specific culture and is one of the best, if not THE best site for such. Of course when the keyboard is the only thing between multiple parties in conversation, the crowd can get a bit rough around the edges. But as many people have converted skoolies and as many new people are looking to convert one, some day maybe a more advanced classified page will show up.

On my favorite rv forum, the escapees, there are multiple classes. All the way from a bumper pull trailer to full blown HDT semi trucks. Each has their own page and classification. Right now we just have "skoolie" to cover everything. I have no idea how to classify skoolies in the future, but maybe some form of criteria to meat full time living vs. weekend warrior, or toyhauler etc.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #51

Is this Skoolie still available? If so, interested in more pics & info. Looking for a turn key Skoolie with lots of charm. Fully capable of some remodeling - just ready to get on the road & “play” with grandkids before the sun sets even more...😝
AllieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:59 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
There are plenty of "expedition" vehicles selling for big money.
An old school bus is not even close to one of those.
Some paid $50k for a vintage vw camper bus, but the supply very limited.
Worn out school buses go up for sale every week.

If you don't want to DIY, just buy a motorhome, like this one with only 20k miles for half as much and spend the rest on fuel and campsite rent for years instead..

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:08 PM   #53
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post

If you don't want to DIY, just buy a motorhome, like this one with only 20k miles for half as much and spend the rest on fuel and campsite rent for years instead..

AllieB, I am afraid this person is right. There are some big advantages to skoolies over RVs, but one of the biggest is designing it exactly to fit your needs and wants, the second is then knowing exactly how everything went together and works so you can fix it yourself when it breaks.
However, if you have the money then get whatever you love the most, but take your time and don't get emotional attached until it is yours.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:31 PM   #54

I would like to see more pics please
Ol'skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:56 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post

Exactly. ..
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 03:36 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
I truly hope you get as close to your asking price as possible. That would give me an idea of the value of mine.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:26 PM   #57
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
I truly hope you get as close to your asking price as possible. That would give me an idea of the value of mine.
Yes, please, post the selling price. I'd like to know how much a conversion without generator, without proper toilet, with average solar system, basic building work and 30 years old base could sell for.
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #58
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBus View Post
Yes, please, post the selling price. I'd like to know how much a conversion without generator, without proper toilet, with average solar system, basic building work and 30 years old base could sell for.
With the warm welcome and healthy dose of reality that has been tossed to the seller I am curious if they will ever update this thread with more info or a final selling price.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #59
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Dodge
Chassis: B350
Engine: built 360 Mopar
Rated Cap: 15 pax
After reading thru this thread (and far too many others lately that have the same recurring issue of going ballistically off topic to the point of sadly becoming very hateful, vindictive, and self-absorbed) I am deeply concerned that many of the current responders are losing sight of the original reasons this site was started. I first joined this group many years ago, when it was still fun to be a part of it all. Over the years I have had the privilege of owning, restoring, hot rodding, converting, and more on a dozen or more busses. This group has been the backbone of my endeavors, I seriously couldn't have done all that I have without the help and companionship of all the great people on here. So; with that being said, seriously, what is going on here? "Freedom of speech" is a bullshit excuse for going off on somebody for their selling price, way of doing things, beginning budget, and many other topics that seem to be fodder for way too many nasty posts. We are all grown-ups here and this past year has been hard on all of us in some way or another. How about we step back for a moment, take a deep breath, and remind ourselves that if we can't say anything decent, just don't say anything at all. No point in shiting on another member just because we have a different opinion.
Redneckotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:15 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
A couple of years ago a guy listed this bus, on this site, for $50K. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0508_Original.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	56115
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0507_Original.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	56116

Darn it! I can’t find my pics of the inside. The walls and furniture had welded frames to which he applied plywood with Formica on it. I remember it because I borrowed his design.

Anyway...He was taken to task by this group in the same way as in this thread. He got back to us a couple of weeks later and said “Sold and down the road”. I always assumed that he got close to his price.

Not everybody looking at his bus said “I can do that”. Someone said “ I’d like to have that”. Just probably not going to find that person here.

Oh, and two years later, knowing what I know now, $65K doesn’t look bad at all considering I would have been on the road all this time.

Peace y’all
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote