Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2005, 03:28 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via Yahoo to phillip266
Got my Bus now I Need Tires

Whoot got my bus
but it has sit a long while and I need 6 tires for it its a 1978
Chev Superior body 350 gas with air brakes.
if anyone has tires for sale please let me kow or if you can tell me the best place to buy then cheap
thanks

Old 01-07-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

you're pretty much stuck buying new steer tires for the front of your bus. It's difficult to come across GOOD used steer tires. They're pretty expensive...prob at least $200-300 per tire. That being said, I have to admit, that i have a used steer tire on the front of my bus. it's the best tire on the bus though!

The good news is that you can find rear tires for cheap. Simply go to the big truck tire store and tell them you are looking for some used rear tires. I bought one for my bus in michigan for $80, and another one when i was out in LA and that one also cost me $80. Be careful.....In cali, 80 dollars covered the new (used) tire, mounting it on the rim, and removal,installation on the bus. The tire i bought in michgian really cost me $120. 80 for the tire, 20 to mount it on the rim, and 20 more to remove/install it on the bus. UGGGG!

I would suggest watching the tire guy remove and re-install the wheel on yoru bus the first time if you're not familiar with the process. If you ask, he'll prob even give you a short tutorial. It's not that difficult, but if you're not careful you can easily remove your kneecap in the process.

I've changed skoolie tires myself, but most times its just easier to have the pro's do it. Especially if you have good sam emergency roadside assistance. IF you have a rear dual tire go flat, you can usually drive a significant distance to get to the big truck tire store.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:52 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I got a set of all six tires for free. They were used but in good shape, the bus barn always takes off both of a pair when one gets a flat and replaces them with new tires. So all I had to do was match up three pairs and get three holes patched and I got 6 tires for practically nothing.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:42 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: Gill
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: 636 c.i. CAT V8
Rated Cap: 33,700 GVWR
I've got TOO many tires

Howdy Phil

I know this is a stretch, but if you or a friend ever get to the West Coast, I have lots of tires, already mounted. I use school buses to support a project that I do, and am constantly forced to dismantle them, as the owner of the yard doesn't want me to have too mch stuff out there.

I end up with probably 20--30 tires a year, most of them in good condition, as I put the junk tires on the bus when it leaves the yard

have a good one

Patrick Young
http://www.fresnoalliance.com/wheelchairproject
Wheelchair Project
Fresno, CA
mailto:WheelchairBusProject@yahoo.com
(559) 244-1042 (559) 251-3814
(559) 244-1042
(559) 251-3814
mailto:WheelchairBusProject@yahoo.com
https://fresnoalliance.com/WheelchairProject
Gilligs/Crowns and Parts is offline   Reply With Quote