Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2018, 10:43 AM   #1

Hank bought a bus - for sale

Hi guys!

This journey started about 7 years ago with a dream to build a cabin on my grandfather's land, which led to months of research across various skoolie forums, so I thought this would be a good place to share that my skoolie adventure is coming to a close, and the conversion is now for sale.

Five years ago I converted a school bus into a tiny living space for my Master of Architecture thesis project. After graduation it was driven on a cross-country road trip, and the blog we kept ended up being pretty widely shared.

Here's a link to my blog, and a link to one of the articles featuring the project that has a few more pictures:

Hank Bought A Bus | Sometimes the best plan is to not have one…
Architecture Student Converts Old Bus into Comfy Mobile Home Complete with Repurposed Gym Floor | Colossal

After moving to Seattle I've decided to sell the bus, and I thought some folks in this subreddit might be interested in checking it out.

A bit about the bus:
Current location - Tomah, WI
Asking price $ - best offer (motivated to sell)

Interior

This vehicle is set up as a "camper", and is not currently ready for full-time living. (i.e. sink is foot-pump with two small tanks under cabinet, no cooktop installed, small portable toilet in bathroom, no shower)

It performs well for weekend getaways or tailgating with friends. The convertible furniture in the living area allows comfortable seating for 8, sleeping area for 6, and has loads of storage underneath the seats and beds.

The real highlight of the space is the daylight from the windows and skylights, each window with its own privacy/insulation panel that pulls up out of the wall.

The space has some normal wear for a camper-type vehicle. I'll be having a family member take some photos of the interior to show current condition.

Mechanical

All brake components need replacing (rotors/calipers/lines) and tires should be replaced before any long-distance driving. (have tread, but dry)

Engine is a CAT 3116 with 225k miles.

At this point I'm looking for offers on "as-is" condition, but can negotiate having necessary brake/tire repairs made if it needs to be driven rather than trailered/towed. If repairs are negotiated with the sale, I'll deliver the bus anywhere in the continental 48 for free! (I'll even buy the gas)

If you have any questions, or are interested in discussing an offer, feel free to send a PM.

Thanks for your time!
hank

hbutitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:18 PM   #2

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GM 350
Rated Cap: 36ish
Hi, Hank!

I originally ran across your project online at least close to when you were doing it (I can't remember exactly if I was lurking contemporaneously or not). I tried to study architecture myself, (but only after a career in computer support and a divorce, so quite a bit later in life) and I have loved buses since high school, so I got excited to see what an architect would do with a bus!

Ten days on, and no comments! I hope you've gotten some private messages at least. I am at a point where I would love to get a bus and live in it, but I have no money, and as a truck driver driving all over the country, I have no time to work on one, either. And it looks like I'm pretty limited for the next several years, and who knows what will happen by then. But hopefully you'll find someone who will be able to carry on with your project. Good luck!
Walking Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #3

hanks bus

well since i see no one has offered anything, we have 5 grand saved up and it could all be yours in crisp 20$ bills. no seriously, your bus looks amazing and we would love to be able to offer more, but alas our kids are now in college and still "need" our help every now and again.
blondemoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Anyone know how to get hold of Hank?

I have tried to reach Hank but to no avail.

Thanks,

Andy
andyboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyboy57 View Post
I have tried to reach Hank but to no avail.

Thanks,

Andy
We've tried as well both as a pm and by emailing the address on his linked website. No avail. Seems like he must not really have his heart in selling - or it's sold already?
sue&west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

who knows - thanks for the reply though.
andyboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote