Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #1

Question Hello: ISO Shuttle Bus or similar

Hello we are moving across the country (Indiana to California) and wanted to buy a van to move in then convert it to a camper once we get there. We need to sleep five people so need a 26-30'-long bus. Also need it to be as tall inside as possible as I am 6'4" in shoes and don't want to have to duck to move around in it.

I was thinking we'd start with a shuttle bus so we have a head start on insulation and comfort as far as the camper side goes. I would really like a bus with a co-pilot seat as my wife was brutally brain-injured in a 2004 car accident and likes to be next to me at all times basically.

I have spent a lot of time trolling CL and ebay and it seems NOBODY ever lists the overall length or inside dimensions, which you'd think people care about since they have to park and build in these things. I just find that weird.

I also had a question for schoolie owners: how is the ride on the school busses vs ex-shuttle busses? Last time I was on a school bus was in 7th grade and I remember them being quite hard-riding, but that was a long time ago. Are you schoolie owners happy with the ride? And for shuttle bus owners or people who have tried both, is there any difference? I have seen air ride busses for sale, and am tempted to go that way for sheer comfort reasons.

Our budget is in the 10-20k range depending on what we get for the money.

Rental_Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:22 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
A simple way to calculate the length of a bus is to count the number of windows and multiply by 27.5", then add 6 feet for an FE or RE bus and 10 feet for a CE (aka dog-nose or "normal" bus).

You will get one hell of a quality bus for $10K, but you should be able to get an excellent bus for a lot less than that.

The tallest school bus you will find will be about 6'6" down the center, but those are relatively rare and you're far more likely to find one 6'2" or so. At 6'4" you would pretty much have to do a roof raise no matter what bus you buy, if you're planning to insulate at all (which takes up headroom, of course).
Old 02-25-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
High headroom Thomas buses are 6'7".
The ride is ok. Air ride helps.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:18 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
When do you need this shuttle bus? My shuttle with copilot seat (copilot seats are sort of rare) will be for sale beginning of June 2020. I am in Ohio.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
When do you need this shuttle bus? My shuttle with copilot seat (copilot seats are sort of rare) will be for sale beginning of June 2020. I am in Ohio.
If Rental_Car isn't interested in your, I might be. Pics? (I'm brand new to this scene and don't speak mechanic, just as an fyi). --thanks.
Seneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #6
Bus Nut

I sent you a PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneb View Post
If Rental_Car isn't interested in your, I might be. Pics? (I'm brand new to this scene and don't speak mechanic, just as an fyi). --thanks.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
We are looking to buy asap but if it is the right bus we could wait. We would need it by late may or early june. Can you post or PM details?
Rental_Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
If Rental_Car isn't interested in your bus, I might be. Pics? (I'm brand new to this scene and don't speak mechanic, just as an fyi). --thanks.
Seneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #9
Bus Nut

PM has been sent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rental_Car View Post
We are looking to buy asap but if it is the right bus we could wait. We would need it by late may or early june. Can you post or PM details?
Old 03-15-2020, 02:07 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: ‘09
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: 6.7
Rated Cap: 35’
I haven't looked very closely at shuttle busses, but I doubt there would be one large enough to sleep 5 people. You're going to need the biggest one you can find. Our dog nose bus is 38' bumper to bumper. The interior usable space is about 28' x 7'. All busses interiors are different mainly dependant on engine placement. We don't have interior wheel wells so our flooring is 100% usable. Get your pen and paper out and draw up your interior plans to scale. Then you will know what size of bus to shop for.
Ranchorossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:36 PM   #11

Quote:
If prior posters are not interested and you haven't sold I am very interested in this if you could send me details. Thanks!
Mandjvanderpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #12

I’m in Columbus, OH and have a Chevy Collins mfsab for sale. All seats have been removed but anchor holes are still accessible.
LeighBeeKD is offline   Reply With Quote