Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2020, 08:55 PM   #1

In search of short bus

Hey everyone! I’m in search of a short bus with a reliable engine. It does not need to be converted. I just need it to be good mechanically.

roeskoreisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:24 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Turtle Top
Chassis: E-Super Duty
Engine: Ford 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 13-passenger
Here's the type of thing I'd recommend looking for:
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ct...108740873.html

Lots of partially finished skoolie conversions come up on facebook marketplace and craigslist.

It's important to know exactly why they stopped working on it. Often a mechanical or rust issue is what halts progress, and you want to know that before you spend any time looking at it.

There are legitimately good buys if you look. People get analysis paralysis, change jobs, get girlfriends, get injured, etc., and old dreams wither. This is where you can get into this really cheap with some work already done for you.
sproutroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:45 PM   #3

absolutely. I have already converted a bus before, but I got one with a messed up transmission and that’s no bueno so I sold it for dirt cheap and am just look for something that I can drive away in that day and not have to put money into the mechanics. The conversion I’ll do myself and I’ll do a damn good job at it too. Thanks you for the pointer, you rock.
roeskoreisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Hi SproutRoot, I have considered looking at the bus you posted, but it needs to be towed (says "needs brake line"). I would need a mechanic to look over a vehicle as my knowledge doesn't go far enough. So, it's a conundrum. Someone said to me they wouldn't look at a vehicle that couldn't be driven. Also who would pay to tow to the mechanic? Any thoughts? Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproutroot View Post
Here's the type of thing I'd recommend looking for:
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ct...108740873.html

Lots of partially finished skoolie conversions come up on facebook marketplace and craigslist.

It's important to know exactly why they stopped working on it. Often a mechanical or rust issue is what halts progress, and you want to know that before you spend any time looking at it.

There are legitimately good buys if you look. People get analysis paralysis, change jobs, get girlfriends, get injured, etc., and old dreams wither. This is where you can get into this really cheap with some work already done for you.
awilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Turtle Top
Chassis: E-Super Duty
Engine: Ford 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 13-passenger
If you don't feel like tackling any issue that may come up with an old vehicle (either monetarily or mechanically), you should put a priority on test driving it.
Ask if you can test drive it to a mechanic (takes some planning).

Alternatively, make two trips. Get a test drive, go home, find a mechanic (I know mobile mechanics who do this type of thing a lot) to go back with you. That way you'll know you won't be wasting anyone's time or money. This can be tough if the bus is a good deal. Buyer's won't hold it for you if it takes a week to get the mechanic out there.

Honest sellers won't have a problem with this in theory, it may take some work (and luck) to get the logistics planned.

As far as the bus I posted above, I'd feel confident about getting it towed to a mechanic assuming I'd gone and checked off a lot of things myself. First and foremost, busted brake lines is a sign of rust. If you don't like grinding, painting, and a lifetime of "keeping an eye on it", chances are this isn't your dream bus.
sproutroot is offline   Reply With Quote