Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Is this a good deal?

Hey All!

I need some help!

Looking at a 1978 MC5C Challenger / Silverside MCI bus / old Greyhound -- these are all the terms he mentioned that I jotted down

Doesn't know mileage, says there is no odometer, instead the axle reads out the rotation mileage?? Thinks there are roughly 400k

8V71 DETROIT / wasn't sure if it was an Allison trasmission
4 SPEED
AIR BRAKES
1 AXLE

Says there is no rust, drives great, no overheating issues, tires in good shape, glass in good shape .. claiming no issues with the bus.

Inside has new plumbing with toilet and grey and black tanks, Onan Generator, 5 or 7 gallon water heater, stainless steel double sink, big size fridge, just needs cabinetry and frame work built still for however we'd like our layout to be inside for beds. (this is nice for me, as I sort of wanted one that can be customized to our preferences.) Basically it has all the essentials for plumbing and the kitchen etc. and is ready to be built out.

He wants 10k. No, I don't have pictures yet, but working on it!! We're going to take a diesel mechanic out to look at it with us. Any suggestions for what to look for, or things to consider when buying one of these buses?

We want a bus to travel the US with our two kids for, hopefully, a year while we figure out where we'd like to relocate and settle down. Then we'll either sell it, or keep it for future RV style side trips.

Any help or insight is appreciated!!

Thank you!

CarreAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
is this a deal?.....

I wish I could answer that. But, most of that depends on how you feel about it.

I would like to see you take it out for a drive. 30 minutes minimum, in the hottest part of the day. Up hills, the biggest ones you can find. Around in city streets, shifting and braking....

If the mechanical side of the machine cant get the job done, pretty much useless to you as a skoolie camper thingy then isnt it.

If the current owner cant do that then the price should drop.... nothin like a $10,000 paper weight. cept a $10,000 dollar trailer that will have an enormous towing bill.

If this think can pass the basic test drive, and check out...... then only you can decide if the price is right for you.... maybe even go look at other buses for a comparison. help set your gauge so you have a better idea of what is good for you. Hell, go test drive a$10,000 motor home. absorb the inputs, sleep on it, roll around with it in your mind a little.

then, if it moves you... and you feel good, do it. But if that little voice in the back of your head is saying no, no ,no dont do it..... think and feel about it.

regards, william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd LOVE to have an MCI MC5!!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:11 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Being an ex Greyhound driver, the no odometer thing is true, none of the Greyhound busses I drove had them.
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd LOVE to have an MCI MC5!!
Ahh .. so, sounds good then! Thanks for the input (every little bit helps!!)
Old 08-08-2018, 10:53 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Being an ex Greyhound driver, the no odometer thing is true, none of the Greyhound busses I drove had them.
Okay!! Thank you for that. I wasn't sure if he was bs'ing me. Can I find out mileage some other way? Do you know? Thanks!
Old 08-08-2018, 10:56 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
I wish I could answer that. But, most of that depends on how you feel about it.

I would like to see you take it out for a drive. 30 minutes minimum, in the hottest part of the day. Up hills, the biggest ones you can find. Around in city streets, shifting and braking....

If the mechanical side of the machine cant get the job done, pretty much useless to you as a skoolie camper thingy then isnt it.

If the current owner cant do that then the price should drop.... nothin like a $10,000 paper weight. cept a $10,000 dollar trailer that will have an enormous towing bill.

If this think can pass the basic test drive, and check out...... then only you can decide if the price is right for you.... maybe even go look at other buses for a comparison. help set your gauge so you have a better idea of what is good for you. Hell, go test drive a$10,000 motor home. absorb the inputs, sleep on it, roll around with it in your mind a little.

then, if it moves you... and you feel good, do it. But if that little voice in the back of your head is saying no, no ,no dont do it..... think and feel about it.

regards, william
Well, thank you for your insight. I appreciate it!! I will definitely mention to him we'd like to take it out for a drive for about an hour.

Thank you!
Old 08-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
the hub meter should give the mileage, that is what they are for, you need to find out if it was ever changed
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
the hub meter should give the mileage, that is what they are for, you need to find out if it was ever changed
Oh, okay .. thank you very much!!
Old 08-25-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

And MC-5 with an 8V-71 is going to be a relatively quick bus. 5' shorter than an MC-7/8/9 with two axles instead of three with the same engine and transmission.

Parts and pieces are readily available. The axles, brakes, and wheel end parts are the same parts used on most of the MC-7/8/9 models. Common parts=lower costs.

Three things to look for on an MCI. The air suspension used air beams to help support the bus. While everything is stainless or really high grade steel that is basically impervious to corrosion that are some parts that can get rusty. The air beams on some of the parts that can get rotten. If there is any rot in the air beams the repairs are doable but not cheap.

Second, a stick shift means it won't have the issues of overheating as much as an MC-7/8/9 that has an automatic transmission. But it will still overheat on a long steep grade on a hot day. It is the nature of the beast. That can be helped if the cooling system is in good repair. Good radiators, tight and leak proof blower box, high capacity blowers, and a free turning blower shaft will help to keep things cool.

Third, power steering was an option that wasn't always chosen. Power steering is a big plus but not a deal killer. But no power steering and a stick shift should work against the cost.

$10K sounds affordable. If there is no rust, the tires are decent, and it drives okay would warrant the price as long as the conversion is well done and everything works.

Since it is a supposedly ready to use conversion the more things that are not right the more you can beat up on the price. On the other hand, the more that things are good the more the asking price is reasonable.

Good luck and happy trails to you!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:30 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

My experience with 8V71 Detroit diesels is from big rigs that I owned. They leak oil horribly from every gasket. Want to change a starter? Dig through 4 inches of slippery crud. Horrid fuel mileage from the 2 cycle engine. Even my fathers much newer 6V92T Coach only got 5 mpg which is about half of what my Cummins CM550 gets on the road with a Allison 5 sp. They are reliable and simple but I would never own one again ever.
Bus ted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:10 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have owned and driven DD 2strokes. My experience with the 8v71 (over 250k miles) in a 40' Eagle bus was much more positive than Busted's.

It did leak some oil but did not approach the severity that he experienced.

I ran my diesel generator from my main fuel tank so my fuel mileage figure is a bit skewed. Even with that I averaged 7.25mpg very consistently.

I would not hesitate to buy another DD 2 stroke.

Good luck with your quest.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Old DD 2 strokers are simple, solid motors. Not the most efficient, not the most powerful but tough to break or wear out. I had a little 6V53 (318ci) in a 40'BBAA with a 545 and that puppy would roll 70mph all day long. And surprising acceleration for a big bus too.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I had a little 6V53 (318ci) in a 40'BBAA with a 545 and that puppy would roll 70mph all day long. And surprising acceleration for a big bus too.
Thanks a lot Cowlitz...........

I didn't know that they ever put DD's in the AARE.... In my ignorance I was perfectly content with my 8.3 Cummins. Now I want a 671T in my Bluebird.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
My old BBAA was an FE. Biggest drawback of that 6V53 was noise. Insanely loud with the supercharger at 3300 rpm!

These are the same motors the Navy used in the Swift boats in Nam. They used to joke that the engine noise did more damage to the enemy than the twin 50's.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:47 AM   #16
Bus Geek

FE with the DD 2 stroke might dampen my enthusiasm a bit.....

An 8v71 35 feet behind me was a good thing. Next to my right knee may not be quite as wonderful.