Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2021, 03:45 PM   #1

Year: 2004
Engine: CAT
Iso

hello, I'm searching for a bus. Preferably a 30 to 40 footer. I would prefer a dog nose bus but willing to consider a flat nose if its right for me. I am leaning pretty far towards a cummins I really want an 8.3 but will check out others specially paired with allison trans either the MT-643 or the MD3060. I prefer it to be 2005 or older even better if its '97 or older as I prefer it to be more mechanical rather than the electronical stuff. I have been searching for a bit and have checked out any and all leads and site recommended and have decided to post here in hopes of expanding my search and hopefully finding something perfect for me. Thank you all in advance. I apologize if I could have done this better but Im new to all of this so Im doing my best

Jordan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hi Jordan, you've definitely done your homework because you've described what is (for many) the ideal bus. That, unfortunately, makes the hunt harder...because others are looking for that same combination of features. Since you're open to buses up to 40 feet long, though, that opens up the options for you. It seems many only want 30-footers.

Where are you located and/or are you willing to travel for the right bus?

Here's one current dognose option, not with a Cummins but with the DT466E...also a good engine...but it doesn't specify which model of transmission. It might be work asking them, though. It's in NM, so probably rust-free. https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...ew?auc=2708034

Is that along the lines of what you're looking for?
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:16 PM   #3

Year: 2004
Engine: CAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Hi Jordan, you've definitely done your homework because you've described what is (for many) the ideal bus. That, unfortunately, makes the hunt harder...because others are looking for that same combination of features. Since you're open to buses up to 40 feet long, though, that opens up the options for you. It seems many only want 30-footers.

Where are you located and/or are you willing to travel for the right bus?

Here's one current dognose option, not with a Cummins but with the DT466E...also a good engine...but it doesn't specify which model of transmission. It might be work asking them, though. It's in NM, so probably rust-free. https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...ew?auc=2708034

Is that along the lines of what you're looking for?

I have not done much research on different engines and I tend to set my mind to something and go for that. I had thought that the engines with the E at the end weren't good but maybe that was only for a certain one as I kind of just skim through stuff that doesn't pertain to what I want. But like you said it being highly sought after has caused me to open up other possibilities although I would like to hold out for a cummins. I am located in Michigan which only adds to the difficulty of finding a bus and the ones here have prices equivalent to the same bus elsewhere with little to no rust compared to what we have here. I would be willing to travel for the right bus specially if I find what I truly want. I think I could even get away with a 27 to 40 footer if that increases my likelihood of finding my ideal bus. Do you have any insight as to what states are probably my best bet to find the bus I want with little to no rust? Also, where can I find more info on pros and cons of the rear engine buses? I say an 8.3 Cummins with the 3060 allison rear engine listed in this thread but have found zero info on the pros and cons so far today.
thank you for your time I do truly appreciate it and I apologize for the longwinded response.
Jordan7 is offline   Reply With Quote