Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ogden utah
Posts: 128
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 27
ISO composting toilet

Looking for anyone selling a new or lightly used composting toilet.

Not particular about any brand or type.

Please message me if you have something you would like to sell.
Jsneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,341
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I built my own for about $80.

The biggest expensive item was the urine diverter at $59.

I cannot stir the contents like the $900 units but after almost two years of full time use it worked very wLl.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 3,028
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I also built my own for around $50. Used it over a year in my first bus. We built a cat litter system for the new bus and I consider it a huge upgrade. I've got a full size seat and changing it out is no worse than changing the kitchen garbage.
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,341
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I also built my own for around $50. Used it over a year in my first bus. We built a cat litter system for the new bus and I consider it a huge upgrade. I've got a full size seat and changing it out is no worse than changing the kitchen garbage.
Do you have a urine diverter? If so, did you build it or buy it?

Mine was the most expensive piece in the build.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 3,028
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
For my composting system I used a $5 funnel from the automotive section of Walmart. For the lat litter system we bought one of those $60 or $70 units from Ebay. I spent a bit more on this one for sure.
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,341
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
For my composting system I used a $5 funnel from the automotive section of Walmart. For the lat litter system we bought one of those $60 or $70 units from Ebay. I spent a bit more on this one for sure.
I bought mine on eBay from a gent in the UK. I think it was around $60. We have been happy with it.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 3,028
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
This is the skeleton of my current system, before walls and sealing and paint. We use a kitchen trash bag in the yellow pail and enough the plastic jug daily. I will make some updates to it next month but this is still the basic idea.IMG_20181125_171210_962.jpg
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,341
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
This is the skeleton of my current system, before walls and sealing and paint. We use a kitchen trash bag in the yellow pail and enough the plastic jug daily. I will make some updates to it next month but this is still the basic idea.Attachment 31628
Looks very similar to mine. I think we have the same diverters.

I plumbed mine into a remote 5 gallon jug. On my new one I am considering running the urine into my grey tank. Still researching to determine if that is a good idea.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
$4 Homer bucket, $4 funnel, $35 urine tank, $5 seat cover. Just need to build the cabinet around it and top it with Corian, marble granite, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190122_155122.jpg (89.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20190116_203335.jpg (79.5 KB, 7 views)
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:13 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Looks very similar to mine. I think we have the same diverters.

I plumbed mine into a remote 5 gallon jug. On my new one I am considering running the urine into my grey tank. Still researching to determine if that is a good idea.
I know it's against Coast Guard regulations in a boat. Not sure on an RV.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #11
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,341
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I know it's against Coast Guard regulations in a boat. Not sure on an RV.
Well.... As it is legal to dump ALL waste into a single tank I don't see any problem.

It will limit where I can legally dump grey water as it contains human waste.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:41 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Well.... As it is legal to dump ALL waste into a single tank I don't see any problem.

It will limit where I can legally dump grey water as it contains human waste.
I agree, the issue is where you can dump it. Gray water legally can be dumped just about anywhere, black has many limitations.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #13
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,341
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Gray water legally can be dumped just about anywhere,

My experience, with 6+ years of full time travel around the US in a converted bus, is contrary.

You may get away with it but in most places it is illegal to dump on the ground.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #14
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
My experience, with 6+ years of full time travel around the US in a converted bus, is contrary.

You may get away with it but in most places it is illegal to dump on the ground.
I stand corrected, though it depends on ones definition of "gray water". The BLM considers gray water water coming from your bathroom sink, shower , or clothes washer. Water from a kitchen sink or dishwasher is considered sewage and needs to be considered black. BLM allows gray water dumped into the dirt, but not black.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,341
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I stand corrected, though it depends on ones definition of "gray water". The BLM considers gray water water coming from your bathroom sink, shower , or clothes washer. Water from a kitchen sink or dishwasher is considered sewage and needs to be considered black. BLM allows gray water dumped into the dirt, but not black.
Exactly!

Over 6+ years I managed about 3 weeks in BLM campgrounds.

When I was in Georgia I found that there are exactly zero BLM campgrounds. Same in many states.

In the US, places where you can legally dump grey water from your RV on the ground are not terribly common.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #16
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Exactly!

Over 6+ years I managed about 3 weeks in BLM campgrounds.

When I was in Georgia I found that there are exactly zero BLM campgrounds. Same in many states.

In the US, places where you can legally dump grey water from your RV on the ground are not terribly common.
Most of our campgrounds are on lakes and managed by the Army Corps of Engineers. I gathered that if it is in fact gray water by the definition I posted, you should be able to dump it anywhere. If it's from the kitchen it is black water.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,341
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Here in WA they have pretty strict rules about grey water disposal.

you CANNOT dump it on the ground unless you have an approved grey water irrigation system.

After traveling 46 states over 6 years full time I found that in most places you will get in trouble if caught dumping your RV grey water on the ground.

Also, if kitchen waste water is NOT greywater as you mentioned then that shuts pretty much all RVers down. I have yet to see a bus or RV that does not drain the kitchen sink into the grey tank.

Edit: I didn't know about the kitchen sink bit so I did a bit of looking and found this from BLM: "“wash water” or “gray water” from a kitchen sink or dishwasher is classified as sewage"

Learn something new every day
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×