Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
BGA has layaway... some people like to do that because I believe they will let you change busses once without a charge... so you camn lay one away and if they get a different one in you like better you can swap to that one.. (only once)..

getting it home they will charge you for I believe. of course since they are a dealer. you can go and crawl around in and look at a bunch of busses..

their prices are higher but there is the convenience of seeing the busses and negotiating in person..
-Christopher
What I meant was don't they something like roadside assistance for the buyer?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
What I meant was don't they something like roadside assistance for the buyer?

they didnt when I broke down in mine. Greg was helpful in getting me pointed to a mobile truckdown service company, but at the time (2016) they didnt have an actual roadside assistance type of thing..

hindsight is 20/20, if I had tools with me I couldve ordered the parts online and fixed the bus myself rather than a mobile service guy that didnt quite deal well with old vehicles... (at least his parts counter didnt deal well with old vehicles)..

so I suggest to anyone going to pick up a bus.. have tools.. either ship them to a hotel ahead of time, rent a one way car and take them, or buy cheapo tools the minute you get your bus..

1/4" socket set
1/2" socet set
set of wrenches
set of screwdrivers
set of vice grips
Flashlight
maybe a large adjustable wrench.
site of wire cutters / splices / roll of electric tape.
roll of duct tape..

enough stuff that you can change a battery, fuel filter, belt, hose, alternator..

the above you casn check at an airline with no issues if flying.. I airline check tools all the time in my work.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
they didnt when I broke down in mine. Greg was helpful in getting me pointed to a mobile truckdown service company, but at the time (2016) they didnt have an actual roadside assistance type of thing..

hindsight is 20/20, if I had tools with me I couldve ordered the parts online and fixed the bus myself rather than a mobile service guy that didnt quite deal well with old vehicles... (at least his parts counter didnt deal well with old vehicles)..

so I suggest to anyone going to pick up a bus.. have tools.. either ship them to a hotel ahead of time, rent a one way car and take them, or buy cheapo tools the minute you get your bus..

1/4" socket set
1/2" socet set
set of wrenches
set of screwdrivers
set of vice grips
Flashlight
roll of duct tape..

enough stuff that you can change a battery, fuel filter, belt, hose, alternator..

the above you casn check at an airline with no issues if flying.. I airline check tools all the time in my work.

-Christopher
Makes sense...especially the ship ahead tip...I was surfing some auction site and came across several lots with leatherman knives...

Old 03-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I'm going commando, not taking anything with me to work on the bus. deal with it if and when it happens. I'm just going in with a PMA and know I will cruise home with 0 issues.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I'm going commando, not taking anything with me to work on the bus. deal with it if and when it happens. I'm just going in with a PMA and know I will cruise home with 0 issues.
Commando huh?[emoji2]

Old 03-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Quote:

1/4" socket set
1/2" socet set
set of wrenches
set of screwdrivers
set of vice grips
Flashlight
roll of duct tape..

-Christopher
Yeah, I plan to get my new bus to the nearest Harbor Fright and grab one of those $140 suitcase-o-tools when-and-if I get to that point.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
my second bus I was freaked a bit from the first so I had all kinds of tools and stuff.. one way rental car trunk stuffed!.. saved the names of major truck stops in my GPS, etc..

and what did I do?? hopped in and drove the damned thing close to 1100 miles just like a new car... lolol

-Chris
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote