Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 08:19 PM   #1

ISO for 40' flat nose pusher

I'm looking for a 40' Flat nose pusher for conversion for a family of 5. I'm also looking for layouts and ideas for the bus. We've done some searching (pinterest) and bought a couple of books and such to determine what we're thinking of doing, but we're obviously new at this. The plan is to live in it full time in Canada, so insulation and heating are important. We'd also like it to be as off grid as possible without losing the few creature comforts that we enjoy. Any ideas are welcome!

Fisler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'm building my skoolie primarily to survive cold rather than hot, although Philly winters are not quite as bad as Canadian ones, obviously. I think the key to surviving cold weather is to make sure your living space is entirely surrounded with insulation. I think this means having an insulated full wall behind the driver's seat (since the front of a bus is basically impossible to insulate and is a big source of heat loss) and having very few windows (or covering them with removable insulation).

The diesel air heaters seems to have emerged as the best choice for heating. They're effective and pretty safe (in theory, I guess, since they're so new) since their combustion cycle is effectively outside the bus, and they're cheap and they use the same fuel source as the bus. Wood stoves are obviously a thing but insurance companies (like Allstate) won't allow them (they do allow the diesel air heaters). Maybe Canadian insurers allow wood stoves? I dunno.

It's funny that you mention pinterest, since I go to great lengths to exclude pinterest from my search results.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:57 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
insulation is definitely key.. ditching the original school bus interior panels and windows is a must..

there must be many more cave-dwellers than i think.. seems everyone wants to remove so many windows and have dark interiors.. i couldnt do it.. I get SADD so bad anyway and thats living in a house full of windows..

nevertheless you need good insulation and efficient heat.. diesel heaters are great as long as your fuel is good and winterized.. if the bys is going to remain parked for long pewriods of time in sub zero weather you need to keep your fuel prepared so it doesnt gel up..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:41 PM   #4

Year: 1981
Chassis: MC-9
Engine: 8v71 Detriot Diesel
The bus I have for sale would take a little work to get it off-grid ready, but it is close to Canada (Belligham, WA). I have a post on the classifieds about it here. 40' pusher 1981 MCI MC-9 Take a look!

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/1...ion-32130.html
Waldobus81 is offline   Reply With Quote