Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2020, 10:55 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
ALL they are doing in fact is drying their pOOp! before throwing it in somebodies trash. There is NO composting (by definition) in that scenario. It's no different than when I clean up after my dog and drop it in the trash...
But there _are_ some differences. The litter/medium puts into place the conditions for the composting process to work.

We've had this debate of whether the toilets "compost" or not- they don't. Can that problem be solved? I think its worthwhile trying given that these toilets work- as in, fit the use case of many people, and solve some of the problems presented by traditional black tanks. Of course there are unique problems to this approach.

Reality is lots of people here crap in a bucket. I've got nothing against people with a black tank- I find it interesting to try and solve the problems raised rather than crapping _on_ the bucket itself. The idea of a secondary, heated container is an attempt to actually get the composting process well underway before "disposing" of the medium.

I've been thinking hard about an enclosed trailer for various purposes. One of them could pretty easily be a 30-60 gallon drum to get the compost process going. I think one user here mentioned compost could be generated in as little as a few weeks given the matter was kept hot enough. I'm no expert, just trying to think of it as an engineering challenge.

kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:39 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
But there _are_ some differences. The litter/medium puts into place the conditions for the composting process to work.

We've had this debate of whether the toilets "compost" or not- they don't. Can that problem be solved? I think its worthwhile trying given that these toilets work- as in, fit the use case of many people, and solve some of the problems presented by traditional black tanks. Of course there are unique problems to this approach.

Reality is lots of people here crap in a bucket. I've got nothing against people with a black tank- I find it interesting to try and solve the problems raised rather than crapping _on_ the bucket itself. The idea of a secondary, heated container is an attempt to actually get the composting process well underway before "disposing" of the medium.

I've been thinking hard about an enclosed trailer for various purposes. One of them could pretty easily be a 30-60 gallon drum to get the compost process going. I think one user here mentioned compost could be generated in as little as a few weeks given the matter was kept hot enough. I'm no expert, just trying to think of it as an engineering challenge.
The thrust of my point being -- there's very little point in starting the composting process "on the bus" if the pOOp! is then getting put in a plastic bag and thrown in the trash going to the landfill -- 'cause there's no composting at the landfill -- it gets buried, compacted, and remains there, forever...

In my case -- since my bus will always be "out n' back" to my permanent address I could actually compost my buses' pOOp! bucket contents in a larger compost pile maintained for the purpose.

I commend your willing to devote trailer or bus space to actual composting.
It could be done in a 55gal barrel.

With a high heat composting process you'll get a faster cook, but the finished product will be less nutritious for plants. That's okay, and many will say preferable to the risk of pathogens will a lower heat process...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:05 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

I have a brand new one in the box

I have a new one in the box never taken out. I also got the mushroom vent cap that installs on the bus to vent the smell outside. I think I paid almost $1000 for the toilet and $65 for the mushroom vent cap....How much would you offer for both?
email me directly at tripleb36@yahoo.com
tripleb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
You could make your own crapper like "Life is a Joy" on youtube who used parts from an old ice cube dispenser to stir a few cups of slightly moistened sawdust pellets with their solids.

Search for "Life is a Joy #188 Fixing window and DIY Compost toilet" It is under 5 min long (6:25 to 11:05).
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #25

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummings
Rated Cap: 9 window
I sent you a PM
chappy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:43 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Dont waste your time

This person wants to pay $265 for a new toilet that cost almost $1000....
Old 03-23-2020, 08:18 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleb36 View Post
This person wants to pay $265 for a new toilet that cost almost $1000....
Just an update for everyone. Your open box (non-warrantied) item isn't made of gold.

You aren't going to get back what you paid for it. The manufacturer only gives their product a 5 year warranty. Meaning the value of a nature's head composting toilet would be depreciated over 5 years. Take the salvage value of a composting toilet, $100 maybe, and then subtract that from the cost new. Then divide that by the lifespan of the product, 5 years, minus its current age.

Don't send me nasty messages when your pride is injured.
UnicornWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:26 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornWizard View Post
Just an update for everyone. Your open box (non-warrantied) item isn't made of gold.
On one hand, what is there to fail on these, the fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornWizard View Post
Don't send me nasty messages when your pride is injured.
On the other, "I'm hoping to get a little more for it" in a PM response directly to the offer would have been appropriate... responding here to a PM in spite was not.

@tripleb36 I think you're better off asking in classifieds, assuming your response hasn't poisoned the well.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah I dont need an economics class. These toilets sell for $1000 and are never on sale....This idiot thinks he is gonna get a new one with a $65 ventilator for $265? What a joke.....and who buys used toilets? Pretty disgusting......Unicorn is wasting everyones time.....should maybe go get a bucket and a fan.....
Old 03-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

And Unicorn show us the brand new open box one that you say sold on eBay for $300? No need to lie as well as lowball people....The cheapest I saw in completed items was an open box incomplete one and it went for $425 plus almost $120 shipping.....Good luck....
Old 03-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleb36 View Post
These toilets sell for $1000 and are never on sale....This idiot thinks he is gonna get a new one with a $65 ventilator for $265? What a joke.....and who buys used toilets? Pretty disgusting......Unicorn is wasting everyones time.....should maybe go get a bucket and a fan.....
Are you trying to sell something or are you trying your hardest not to sell something? I honestly can't tell.

They sell for $1000 because there just isn't a heck of a lot of competition in this space. The materials and construction don't add up to half its market price. Nobody has a good reason to buy from you at near-new asking prices. If you want to sell it, you're going to have to take a hit on it.

Not saying $265 is appropriate, just saying your response is not. Its unsightly.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

No im not trying to sell it...but it is just sitting here so thought I might.....but didnt know everyone was basically wasting there time with such a lowballer...yeah I know I should just keep my responses to myself but just didnt want anyone to waste time on such a lowballer......$265 is ridiculous.....used ones are going on eBay for double that....on no need to reply Ill stop now and delete the thread...
Old 03-23-2020, 08:54 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
If only threads could be deleted ....
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:38 PM   #34
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
A seller should know what the least offer they would accept. To weed out the lowball offers, I say something like "only reasonable offers over $$$ will be considered". If not, you leave yourself open to lowball offers.

FWIW, I have purchased items from people in the past by making lowball offers when they say "make an offer" and they did accept. You never know if someone is in dire need of money and willing to take a substantial loss.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #35
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
If only threads could be deleted ....
So much "Yes!"

The Murder Bus
Old 03-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #36
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
So much "Yes!"
I don't agree, I think its better that you have to own what you say.

That being said, mistakes happen. Lets just take the lessons learned constructively and move on.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:56 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
I don't agree, I think its better that you have to own what you say.

That being said, mistakes happen. Lets just take the lessons learned constructively and move on.
I don't disagree with that.

It's just it does take some time to separate the wheat from the chafe on this forum (and I'm now adding to the chafe...)

The Murder Bus
Old 04-03-2020, 01:09 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: S2
Engine: 6.4 MBE 906

Who says quarantine has to be boring...