Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
ISO: Side Skirt A/C Condenser unit

I am looking for a side skirt mounted A/C Condenser assembly with the fans. Im in Utah and can pick it up with in a few hours drive of Salt Lake City.

Let me know.

FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:12 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Genesis IS3909
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 84 Passenger - 31000 Lbs.
Hey FamilyCircus, we have a pair to pull out but unfortunately, we are all the way in Texas. Thought I would reply anyway in case you happen to be coming through this area. Hope you are able to find a local option!

Our Craigslist Post
SkoolMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im looking for some A/C parts also.. including a side skirt condensor. and possibly bracketry for a DT engine.. esp if its V-belt drive... I travel the country (esp the eastern 2/3) ..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I'm down in College Station's environs, and, while I wasn't in the A/C market before, Summer she's acomin'!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoolMe View Post
Hey FamilyCircus, we have a pair to pull out but unfortunately, we are all the way in Texas. Thought I would reply anyway in case you happen to be coming through this area. Hope you are able to find a local option!

Our Craigslist Post
Do you know if it can easily make the transfer into my '98 IH 3800 Thomas?
Do you have specs, or info that I might look them up?
Will the system need to be recharged with coolant after reassembly?
What tools will I need to bring to get them down and out?
Will I be able to stuff the whole schmegegy into my VW New Beetle? (Too dang far too drive the bus!)
Sorry about all the questions, but enquiring minds want to know! [emoji111]
Old 05-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
Bus Geek

The units will work on any bus as long as you get the right brackets for the compressors.. which are engine specific including differences for the 360466 mechanical and 466e are different. 444e and others also use their own mounts.
Size the systems accordingly. He has 3 evaporators so one system is bigger then the other don’t mix them up. Yes you recharge with 134a. Lines you may need to cut and recrimp to size.
I need one system with brackets for a mechanical engine and am willing to travel to get it. Esp the brackets for the engine because for a mechanical engine they are not made any more.

Fitting them in what type of beetle ? An old rear engine or a new style? You have a shot at a new style for one system if your seats fold flat. Skirt condensers are usually 4-5 feet long about 12” tall and 12”deep(depth is triangular”
Evaporators are similar length though the plastic case is usually deeper and shape contours a bus roof line .. you can stack them if you are careful not to bend the aluminum fins.
Christopher
Old 05-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Christopher, as always you are a veritible fount of knowledge waiting to be tapped!
The vendor lists his bus as a DT466. May've forgotten the E, but if not, the brackets are yours! Especially since they won't fit my wimpy l'il T444E.
If you want the entire system, I am willing to cede further interest, adhering to the legal precept dating back to the Magna Carta.
"Firsties"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
The units will work on any bus as long as you get the right brackets for the compressors.. which are engine specific including differences for the 360466 mechanical and 466e are different. 444e and others also use their own mounts.
I need one system with brackets for a mechanical engine and am willing to travel to get it. Esp the brackets for the engine because for a mechanical engine they are not made any more.

Fitting them in what type of beetle ? An old rear engine or a new style? You have a shot at a new style for one system if your seats fold flat. Skirt condensers are usually 4-5 feet long about 12” tall and 12”deep(depth is triangular”
Evaporators are similar length though the plastic case is usually deeper and shape contours a bus roof line .. you can stack them if you are careful not to bend the aluminum fins.
Christopher
The Bug is one of those darned, new-fangled ones! Battery isn't a universal & no longer beneath the back seat, engine's up in the trunk, and they put a water jacket on it!
Should ought all fit with the backseat folded down, as it typically is. Tuck the compressors, et al, in nooks n crannies. If needs be, the less fragile components can be lashed to the roof.
Still appreciate those extra 5 mph you managed to eke out for me, every time I take her for a spin.
Thank you.
Matteo
Old 05-11-2019, 07:14 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Haz Matt he has 2 systems most likely and likely 2 compressors so plenty to go around if we each use one.
I have the machine that sucks the Freon our intoxa tank also which is much safer than just ripping things apart
Old 05-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Yup, as I recall, 2 mounted compressors. Plus all the other goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Haz Matt he has 2 systems most likely and likely 2 compressors so plenty to go around if we each use one.
I have the machine that sucks the Freon our intoxa tank also which is much safer than just ripping things apart
In truth, I don't need a pair of complete AC systems, even here in E Central TX. Be nice to have one mounted up front, shotgun, on a hot day's drive.
That's cool, I was consideting buying the set up to pull the Freon: probably cheaper'n having some shop dude come out to do it, and might be able to reuse it, minimizing the fresh I'd have to add.
'Course, all that's contingent on your getting to it before anyone else responds to his CL ad, which he posted just yesterday.