Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Well there's a wide range of "We" here. I'm sure their inspectors are much better than many here. Could there be hidden issues that they miss, sure. I'm sure most of the dealers have mechanics that will spruce up the bus for good curb appeal.
I know folks who have bought at dealers in Tampa and almost every one of them needed immediate repair.
Dealers do a quick pressure wash, sweep out the dirt a little, and stick a CL ad up.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Well there's a wide range of "We" here. I'm sure their inspectors are much better than many here. Could there be hidden issues that they miss, sure. I'm sure most of the dealers have mechanics that will spruce up the bus for good curb appeal.
Yeah, I'm probably bringing down the average of "we" here

So, related to OP and your mention of local mechanics doing inspections…*where / how would a buyer find a worthwhile mechanic to do an inspection? I'm sure there's risk there too, but probably more risk to have NO inspection. And what range could a buyer expect to pay for an inspection? I've no idea.
ColoErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoErik View Post
I've been a lurker for a while and had same questions as OP. Thanks for all your input, folks.

Related question: I see MUCH higher prices from commercial bus resellers, but often those busses are the harder to find ones (shorter/taller/newer/lower miles). Any experience as to whether these folks are more honest or not than government auctions?

Seems like they have busses all over the country even though they have only one home base. Are they winning these at auction and then just storing them near where bought -- then they resell them with better marketing than original auction? If so, they'd know even *less* about the bus than a govt. auction site. Any wisdom on that dimension of resellers / long distance?
They're just flipping the same buses you and I can buy at auctions.
The most honest possible seller is the person at the school making the listings. They don't make anything from the sale and have zero reason to lie or embellish things.
The schools I've gotten all my buses off were great. Except for Cleveland Texas. They were jerks.
I've only paid a total of $9800 for every bus I've ever owned and all 5 have been runners. The one from TX had a mechanical issue, but that was AFTER it drove the thousand miles home.
I'd have to say its safer to buy from an auction sight unseen than from some dealer who only exists to make money off you.
One more thing to consider is that buses are not depreciating. They're getting more expensive every year as the supply of good buses dwindles.
Beware the "screaming deal" on low mile, late model buses. There's a reason so many schools are dumping them so cheap.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
So, related to OP and your mention of local mechanics doing inspections…*where / how would a buyer find a worthwhile mechanic to do an inspection? I'm sure there's risk there too, but probably more risk to have NO inspection. And what range could a buyer expect to pay for an inspection? I've no idea.
I can't vouch for them and don't know any other details, but here's one:
https://wegolook.com/ebay-inspections/rvs-campers
Pizote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizote View Post
The sample report on their website does not inspire confidence.

Condition: missing hub cap
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Perhaps these folks can help: https://www.truckdown.com/truck-repa...BoCfbIQAvD_BwE
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
They're just flipping the same buses you and I can buy at auctions.

The most honest possible seller is the person at the school making the listings. They don't make anything from the sale and have zero reason to lie or embellish things.

I'd have to say its safer to buy from an auction sight unseen than from some dealer who only exists to make money off you.
THIS.
This info is what I'd suspected, but lack experience to know.
All this together really does help point me in the direction of public auctions (and of course, necessary due diligence).
Old 09-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
THIS.
This info is what I'd suspected, but lack experience to know.
All this together really does help point me in the direction of public auctions (and of course, necessary due diligence).
No purchase is ever 100% safe. But for the price difference auctions are always my first choice. Calling the school and talking to the guys who maintain the bus is almost priceless! They almost always will share the maintenance records, too.
Can't do that with a private seller!
Old 09-08-2018, 11:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizote View Post
I contacted them to see what the heck they were about (I wasn't impressed with their sample report).

Turns out they are primarily a PHOTO inspection service. That is, they'll take photos of the vehicle -- no mechanical report. BUT they did say that for an extra $30 (I think) they would send a short video of them starting the vehicle, driving it slightly forward and in reverse. That alone could tell one a whole lot for way less than the price of an airline ticket. While they are not mechanics, there may be some value if a listing is too thin on details.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:55 PM   #30
Bus Geek

How much does it cost total?
Old 09-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
How much does it cost total?
$99 basic report, additional $35 for a 30-40 second owner start and move back and forth video.
Does not include: mechanical inspection, diagnostic checks, frame and body inspection, undercarriage inspection (no guarantee that rust will be identified).

Better than nothing, but won't reveal the important issues.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
$99 basic report, additional $35 for a 30-40 second owner start and move back and forth video.
Does not include: mechanical inspection, diagnostic checks, frame and body inspection, undercarriage inspection (no guarantee that rust will be identified).

Better than nothing, but won't reveal the important issues.
I don't recommend FL buses, but if anyone wants a bus looked at here in the sunshine state I'll do it for half that.