Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Looked At 3 Buses Today !!!!

Hi Skoolie Folks

So me & the wife could not wait lol !! ...... After finding out our local school division had out of service buses yesterday , i thought a half day off work was in order .

Was not too easy to find the Yellow Beauties as they seemed to be still in Canadian Hibernation lol ... The buses are at the school maintenance yard , all had a thick binder full of each buses service history .
We kinda fell in Luv with Mary , she has a row of 10 windows & was born in 1994 , 186k miles but with a $10k replacment motor showing in the records a few years ago . Mr mechanic says she was a great bus , has the non electrial motor & last safety inspected in 2012 .

Was 1 of 3 we looked at .

So come on folks what ya think ???? .... if we want it we need to submit a offer .

We Have Tried Several Times To Upload Photos Of Todays Bus Locating , But Constantly Says Quota Has Been Reached ..?? We Never Uploaded Pics Before

Frodo

TheHobbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Wayne Chaperone
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: Looked At 3 Buses Today !!!!

Mary gets my vote as that is also my name although a different Birthday.
schoolmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
Mary gets my vote as that is also my name although a different Birthday.
Seriously she is Beautiful .... You would love her too , I just need to get the pics on .

The kids are wanting to go get her ASAP lol ... Looks like the 5th wheel camper has to go now ! Ey

Frodo
Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Wayne Chaperone
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

Hope you get her so I can see pics and then follow your progress as you make her "yours", that is the fun part.

This is a picture of my shortie, her name is "School Daze".

The above picture is when we brought her home. She looks better after we got her home and gave her a GOOD bath, after sitting for 5 years she was DIRTY to say the least. Will have to find her "after" picture.
schoolmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Looks Awesome ..... I bet she is just beautiful !

How did you put the photo up ?

Frodo
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
Hope you get her so I can see pics and then follow your progress as you make her "yours", that is the fun part.

This is a picture of my shortie, her name is "School Daze".

The above picture is when we brought her home. She looks better after we got her home and gave her a GOOD bath, after sitting for 5 years she was DIRTY to say the least. Will have to find her "after" picture.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Search photobucket on the boards, you upload pictures to it and share them here with the url.
Good luck! I hope you get your bus

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=D ... KhlUuyUW5o
Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

How to post from Photobucket

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40079
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

This is the Bus We looked at ??

Thanks guys ... looks like we can do photos lol .
Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Well, if you truly are hobbit sized people, then the low roof Thomas may be okay, but I would think more headroom would create a nicer feeling of space and also allow more room for upper storage cabinets. I personally could not be in that bus for more than a few minutes unless I was sitting down. Another forum member, GlennC, has a low roof Thomas, and I've not heard him complain about feeling cramped, but when I went to check out his bus, it was really uncomfortable for me to be in there. But of course I'm 6'4", so I was kind of like Gandalf moving around in the Baggins' house.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Size Matters !

Lets get things in order here ... Hobbit Bashing is not nice & offenders can be punished , if brought before the Senior Hobbit members , they can order shin kicking as punishment ...

Dan .... I see what ya sayin , I'm 5ft 9in the old lady is up 2 my shoulders ... 4 sons range from a small to a good sized Hobbit . We walked in the bus yesterday & it seemed ok to us , but can see if an unusually tall person " lets say 5'10 & above might have problems . We had a good feelin on this bus & it's very close & know the history ... What you think for $$ Big Dan ?

Rich ... From looking at the bus in question , would you say it's a mid size ? .. Looks like it goes straight back from the front ey . Visitors can be regulated .

Wish this snow would go already !! .

But what about the bus ,, do y'all think she looks hot ? .. What about the motor Dan ?

Frodo & Family
Old 02-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

I'd offer $1500 and I bet you take it home. I like it.
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

I would say that bus is closer to full size than mid-size. So it's a 1994 International with 7.3 engine, eh? I would infer then that it has the same engine as my Ford F250 pickup. Indirect mechanical injection with rotary injection pump. Some people really like these engines. I've had problems with the injection pump, but then I was messing around with home-made biodiesel and that may have been a factor. Personally, I think I would prefer the 6.5 Powerstroke with electronic injection, but I would not say the 7.3 is a bad engine. If the injection pump goes bad it will cost you about $1,000-$1,500 to replace (ask me how I know ).

So you currently have 3" headroom in there - depending on how much you insulate your floor and/or ceiling, your headroom will be reduced by a certain amount. I'd say you will likely lose 2", leaving you just 1" from the ceiling. I am 1/2" from my ceiling, and I can tell you I'd rather have a couple inches above my head. I don't think I could comfortably full-time in my bus - I'd have to raise the roof.

Regarding price, well... price varies depending on who you buy from. Looks like you are at a bus dealer, right? In that case, you are at the high end of the price scale and I would expect to pay about $3,000 - $4,000 for it. I wouldn't go above $4,000 unless I was truly desperate and had very few other options. What are they asking for it? I don't think Motobus' suggestion of $1,500 is going to fly at a dealer, but then I'm not a very good negotiator. I would probably start at $2,500 and hope to close at $3,000. But I'm guessing they are asking like $4,500 for it.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 02-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHobbits
Hi Skoolie Folks

So me & the wife could not wait lol !! ...... After finding out our local school division had out of service buses yesterday , i thought a half day off work was in order .

Was not too easy to find the Yellow Beauties as they seemed to be still in Canadian Hibernation lol ... The buses are at the school maintenance yard , all had a thick binder full of each buses service history .
We kinda fell in Luv with Mary , she has a row of 10 windows & was born in 1994 , 186k miles but with a $10k replacment motor showing in the records a few years ago . Mr mechanic says she was a great bus , has the non electrial motor & last safety inspected in 2012 .

Was 1 of 3 we looked at .

So come on folks what ya think ???? .... if we want it we need to submit a offer .

We Have Tried Several Times To Upload Photos Of Todays Bus Locating , But Constantly Says Quota Has Been Reached ..?? We Never Uploaded Pics Before

Frodo
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Thanks Motobus - I somehow missed that part of the story! Okay, never mind my comments on pricing! My experience has been with dealers and auctions, so I wouldn't know what to offer a school district.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Motobus ....

That's my plan !! .... & I might just try to buy a extra bus too ... Great for a parts ! Ey .

Glad you like her ! .... We just need to get her bought .

Frodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobus
I'd offer $1500 and I bet you take it home. I like it.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Dan .... The bus had the motor replaced with a rebuild unit halfway through its life ! In the the bus history it shows $10k .
I have to go back for a second look & hopefully the bulk of snow will be gone , need to confirm the unit has a turbo , I'm sure the service tec said it did but I've seen a few folks say the n/a is a bit gutless .
The unit along with 6 others is right at a school division yard , so I'm dealing direct .. If its defiantly a turbo I'm going to put in a offer .

Wife is on board so ... Win win ey

Frodo
Old 02-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
Bus Geek

it's worth about $2000 as scrap and the tires if good would go onto another bus etc, so depending on how desperate they are get ride of them you might see $3500 as a high lots of variables
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #19

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: This is the Bus We looked at ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHobbits

Thanks guys ... looks like we can do photos lol .

What's that white stuff?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

I think I'd try for one with out the snow option.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote