Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Looking for a bus!

I need to have a bus within 3-4 weeks to get started. Any ideas?

We'd like a 40ft but also the simplicity of a front non electrical engine.

Clark5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I think you mean non-electronic as in a mechanical engine? Conventional or flat-nose? Price range? Where are you located?
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Looking to spend no more than 4k. We are near Dallas.

I want a good engine easy to learn and work on, but i also don't want to sacrifice floor space. Family of 5 plus pets
Old 02-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark5 View Post
I need to have a bus within 3-4 weeks to get started. Any ideas?

We'd like a 40ft but also the simplicity of a front non electrical engine.
What's the time crunch about?
It takes a long time to it right.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:16 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Renting a house... Need to be out .. Etc. Also money we have saved is enough to build and float for half a year before needing more income... We can do it right if we get the right bus within a few weeks. We arent looking to build a magazine cover bus lol
Old 02-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #6
Bus Geek

I see.
I've seen all levels of skoolie builds. It can be done fast but you gotta be ready for the unexpected. None of it ever goes as fast as planned.

I just try to remind folks with this type of goal that there's a difference between living in a bus and being homeless in a bus.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I hear you! Thats why this bus buy is so stressful. As soon as i think i know what i am looking for something comes up to change what i thought. I expect bus repairs and set aside a couple to handle those but .. Still its hard! As for building once i have it things should be ok.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:59 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark5 View Post
I hear you! Thats why this bus buy is so stressful. As soon as i think i know what i am looking for something comes up to change what i thought. I expect bus repairs and set aside a couple to handle those but .. Still its hard! As for building once i have it things should be ok.
If you can do things like changing your own fluids and filters etc. you'll save a lot that way, even better if you can do mechanical stuff yourself. I've dropped $3500 so far on repairs etc. (which is about the original price of the bus) with the biggest single item being a new starter, but this would have been much less if I were capable of doing the work myself.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:04 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
If you can do things like changing your own fluids and filters etc. you'll save a lot that way, even better if you can do mechanical stuff yourself. I've dropped $3500 so far on repairs etc. (which is about the original price of the bus) with the biggest single item being a new starter, but this would have been much less if I were capable of doing the work myself.
You are capable!
I could walk you through all the basic maintenance easily, man.
I change my oil for $60 including filter. Just did a belt that woulda cost like $300 at a shop. Cost me $15.
All this maintenance stuff is what most skoolie folks skip right over. Kudos for taking the time to do it right, man.

Even some of the bigger stuff can be diy if you get a service manual.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:58 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You are capable!
I could walk you through all the basic maintenance easily, man.
I change my oil for $60 including filter. Just did a belt that woulda cost like $300 at a shop. Cost me $15.
All this maintenance stuff is what most skoolie folks skip right over. Kudos for taking the time to do it right, man.

Even some of the bigger stuff can be diy if you get a service manual.
Ya my husband can def do a lot himself but thats why finding the right bus is hard. With him still working full time im home on bus search... I think id want to avoid a rear engine correct? For ease of access.
Secondly...the jake brake or engine retarder is something useful for mountains but not necessary? The buses so far ive seen dont have these... I wont always be in mountains and ill have a 2nd car to be able to park the bus and explore more lightly..but still even main hwys have knarly inclines. Am i overthinking this brake system? I also see a lot of hydrolic brakes. Someone had a bus it was electric brakes? Im lost..and i thought i was making progress...
Old 02-22-2020, 03:43 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
I sounds like planning ahead a lot further would have been best. But in the real world that’s not always possible. It’s a severe stretch to convert a bus in 4 weeks. Just finding the right tanks, etc, can take months. Best wishes
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:39 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Chassis: International
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
He needs to buy a good bus in 3-4 weeks. He has the cash, he just needs leads.

I'm in the same boat, I'm waiting on a check. When I get it I want to have a good bus in my name within 10 weeks of cashing the check. Are his and my expectations to find a good bus in 4-10 weeks unreasonable?
Inner Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: ‘09
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: 6.7
Rated Cap: 35’
Go to Publicsurplus.com. They have a lot of busses, and some of the auctions close in just over a day. I got my bus from them.
Ranchorossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:35 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: International
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
For whatever it is worth, I am selling my already converted 40' skoolie which at one point served as the residence for our (at the time) family of five and our pets. We were living in it in Orange TX at the time so it sounds like our situations had many parallels. I am including the link to my craigslist post below and am about to re-list it as for sale here. The current asking price is $10K but I will sell it for $8K at this point - if you read the description you will see that it is no longer serving a purpose and I want it out of my driveway. Good luck to you and your family!
https://prescott.craigslist.org/rvs/...078416125.html
jwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote