Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2021, 07:57 PM   #1

Looking for a bus in Northern California

hello everyone!

i am very new to the skoolie world and i am looking for my first bus to convert. i have been searching on craigslist, facebook marketplace, ebay, auctions, etc and i am having trouble finding what i am looking for.

here is what i'm looking for:

Anything newer than 1990
30ft give or take a foot
DT466 or Cummins 8.3
Less than 200k miles (lower the better of course)
MT643 or Allison 2000/2500/3000 transmission
Little to no rust
Tires in good condition
Located in Northern California
Less than $5500

my boyfriend and i would like to flat tow a car behind the bus so it must be powerful enough to do that.

thank you so much!!

averyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:20 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: MidBus
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 19
Warning: California is very much in hate with older diesels, and it may be a total pain to register one (IF they even let you take the exception for RVs). There were threads earlier about such things.

Have you branched out past local (like even into Oregon or Washington or Nevada)? That may increase your selection a fair amount.
Beirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I can't help with a candidate, but kudos to you for doing your homework! You picked some good engine and transmission options. It pains me to see people post, "hey we just bought this bus" but they've got some questionable components. I think you'll do well if you find what you want. The hard part, actually, may be the price. Shorter buses have risen in asking price lately.

Do you have a preference of front or rear engine? Flat front or dog nose?

EDIT, after reading Beirdo's post above (typed at the same time): He raises a good point. Many of the California buses I've seen listed for sale specify, "Sales to dealers or non-residents only." That may limit you to private party sales. The registration later is a separate issue...
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #4

i am totally willing to drive out of state. oregon, washington, nevada, or arizona are fine with me. i was reading about registering it in vermot to bypass a lot of california's rules. is that a viable option?
Old 01-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #5

thank you. i don't know much about the pros and cons to different engine placements so i don't have a preference there. i like the look better of dog nose but if the perfect bus happens to be a flat front, i'm fine with that. if i have to go out of state for purchase that is totally fine. i would prefer not to travel to far.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:42 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
If the OP is from Cali. and they're plan is to put something older together and call it good, they might be in for more than they bargained for?

Please do yourself a big favor and research how CA. handles the bus to camper conversion process.

From previous discussions, it sticks in my head that it took some finagling at the DMV to do the right thing in registering it as a RV, but my memory isn't top notch anymore.

Also, not sure, but it might be harder to bring in a not "native" to CA bus. Would they be smog exempt?

Be cautious and do your darndest to see how others in your state do a successful registration like this...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:44 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by averyl View Post
i am totally willing to drive out of state. oregon, washington, nevada, or arizona are fine with me. i was reading about registering it in vermot to bypass a lot of california's rules. is that a viable option?
It might be, but I've heard California is a state where they get rather irate if you don't quickly register an out-of-state vehicle when you live there... It's a taxation thing, I figure... Although, to be fair, my ex-wife had her Jetta in San Diego for just over a year with Washington plates on it... before someone rear-ended her and destroyed it...

I'm sure there are a few California folks around who can give you good advice on this. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of other wrinkles that might pop up. I do like your choice of beast that you are looking for though.

It might take some patient trolling of various auctions to find what you really want.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:23 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beirdo View Post
Warning: California is very much in hate with older diesels, and it may be a total pain to register one (IF they even let you take the exception for RVs). There were threads earlier about such things.
California is trapped between prevailing westerly winds and mountains, which is why they've taken steps over the last few decades to curtail diesel engine emissions, a major contributor to smog. Diesel-powered motorhomes are exempt from these regulations because they make up a tiny fraction of diesel-powered vehicles in the state so regulating them would have no measurable effect.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:39 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I’m in CA. I bypassed all the drama by staying under 14000 GVWR which are exempt.

Before you proceed you should call the CARB Diesel hotline and the DMV to find out if you can still change the title on a newly purchased bus over 14000 GVWR.

RVs are still and will likely always be exempt as are any vehicle less than 14000 GVWR and pickups less than 19000 GVWR

But after 2025 you’ll need to make your own diesel. I’m kidding
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:41 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
California is trapped between prevailing westerly winds and mountains, which is why they've taken steps over the last few decades to curtail diesel engine emissions, a major contributor to smog. Diesel-powered motorhomes are exempt from these regulations because they make up a tiny fraction of diesel-powered vehicles in the state so regulating them would have no measurable effect.
So am I around Tacoma... but still... We have air quality issues, and they found it mostly was (somehow?) crappy wood stoves...

Yet, Washington has discontinued vehicle emissions testing altogether, and diesels were always exempt anyways. I used to have to get my Audi A4 1.8T tested (not anymore), but not my Mercedes E320 CDI (pre-Bluetec), and definitely not the 6.5L turbo diesel in the bus either. It did, however pass emissions in California in 2019 before it was auctioned off.

It's amazing how differently the three left-coast states have dealt with essentially the same issue... Now I'll grant you: Los Angeles is in much more of a basin type of situation than Seattle/Tacoma I wonder if Mexico City has a diesel ban yet?

Yes, testing motorhomes would not be good bang for the tax buck, but that doesn't mean that some overzealous DMV employee won't make someone's life a living hell when trying to renew tabs on an old (pre-DEF) diesel-powered RV.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:43 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
But after 2025 you’ll need to make your own diesel. I’m kidding
Niiice. Too bad my 6.5L is not really biodiesel-friendly from what I've read. Otherwise, I think I might just be doing that for both the bus and my car sometime soon anyways. Definitely will have to wait until I finish dunging out the garage, that's for sure.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:27 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Hi, Averyl. Welcome aboard!

I am in Northern California and I bought all three of my buses in Oregon. Two of them successfully.

This is perfectly doable, but far from a casual project.

Insurance may be the worst stumbling-block. Not meaning to sound flippant, but I strongly recommend starting with an excellent 30-years-plus claim-free relationship with your insurance agent, and a spotless driving record.
There are rather many abandoned bus projects sitting around, and I believe there are reasons for this.

[If I sound old and school-teachery... I am old and schoolteacherly! ]

To re-title the bus as a motor home, the DMV will need to inspect the more-or-less-completed conversion, including exterior repaint (no School Bus Yellow).

They can give you a temporary driving permit for a few months while you perform the conversion.
If you need more time, which most folks do, you may be able to put it on non-operational status and resume the registration process later, but I have not done this.

Different DMV offices differ in their "attitude" and knowledge, and I wound up "never setting foot again" in one, and receiving downright helpful service in another.

The days of throwing a futon in a bus and calling it an RV are long over. Perhaps it still happens, but if it does... it must be considered an accident -- a DMV clerk having a truly awful (or fabulous) day.

You should be ready to install proper bunks, bathroom, kitchen, electrics and plumbing. They have a list of such items, and require something like two-out-of-three of those items completed.

Diesel engines are a non-issue, so long as the vehicle ends up titled as a private "MH" -- motor home. (The California Vehicle Code also uses the term "house car", which evidently means the same thing.)

Bringing the bus in from out of state makes no difference, since the DMV will simply verify the VIN (serial number) while they are inspecting the conversion anyway.

There. That should put this silly idea safely out of your mind for a little while.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote