Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Ugggh. Stinks that has to be such a primary concern in the modern world.

CCP would save you $20,000.
Two comments:

Regarding emissions in WA. It all depends on what address is on your registration. I live in WA and have not had to emissions test a vehicle in 20 years. If you have an address to use that is outside the "metro" areas you may be able to skip the emissions crap.

Regarding CCP. Actually called CPL in WA. WA is a "shall issue" state. Quite easy to get one as long as you can pass the background check. I would STRONGLY recommend some training to go along with it. Not required but definitely the smart thing to do.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
but I can also go to street festivals, county fairs, block parties, etc, and be ready to work as a vendor in the space I bring with me.

I was thinking the same thing when you mentioned the idea. If you have a cool bus at an event and are offering your services it could be a fun way to spend a day and make a few bucks! It sounds like you are going to do your research before buying a bus to make sure it fits your needs.

Even the conversion you are describing would be a lot of work! But as far as cost goes I don't think it would be outrageous especially as a business expense. If you are purchasing as part of your own business keep all receipts you should be able to write off the cost on your taxes making the overall cost easier to handle.

That bus you posted earlier was nice looking but is a little newer than I would want and more expensive. you should be able to find something that fits your needs for 3-4 thousand easily if you are willing to do some looking around and watching auctions etc.
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Two comments:

Regarding emissions in WA. It all depends on what address is on your registration. I live in WA and have not had to emissions test a vehicle in 20 years. If you have an address to use that is outside the "metro" areas you may be able to skip the emissions crap.

Regarding CCP. Actually called CPL in WA. WA is a "shall issue" state. Quite easy to get one as long as you can pass the background check. I would STRONGLY recommend some training to go along with it. Not required but definitely the smart thing to do.
A CCP or CPL isn't for everyone, if a person isn't comfortable they can easily turn into a liability. I'm not against it by any means but it isn't a good solution for some folks.
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Having recently purchased a "shorty" for myself and looked into a Maaco El Cheapo paint job, they were still quoting well above $2K for a basic white roof, single-color everything else. Needless to say, I'll be painting it myself. Others have gotten similar pricing for a professional paint job.

You can get a better bus for about 1/3 - 1/2 the price. Auctions are the way to go (it's how I got my Shorty, for $2500). Good engines are the IH T444 and DT466 (the former is no powerhouse but is pretty durable, the latter is somewhat less common in buses but a stronger engine, also rebuild-able in-frame). Also the Cummins 5.9 and 8.3 engines (Again, the former is no powerhouse in a full size bus but a pretty reliable engine, the latter will usually be in buses with highway gearing). The Ford 7.3 is virtually the same thing as the IH T444 (built by IH for Ford).

I'd avoid the 6.0 Ford engine and it's sibling, the IH VT365. Sure, some operators had longevity from these engines, but the Ford version earned a rather low reputation (and both have the same emissions hardware concerns the Cat C7 has). I'd avoid any engines above 2003 with the emissions hardware.

Since you plan to be parking this and using it as work/office space, I'm fairly sure you'll want that space comfortable - heated and cooled. You'll probably want a generator and A/C that is independent of the main engine. I'd look for a retired bloodmobile or mobile command center which often already have the desired generator and A/C systems (or at least the provision for a generator, if the old one was removed). Most of these will have extra headroom too.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Ugggh. Stinks that has to be such a primary concern in the modern world.

CCP would save you $20,000.
Maybe, but this isn't about finding the least expensive way to make a living. If it were, I'd give up on massage and get a job clerking in a store. I *like* the idea of being the therapist with the bus -- in a small town environment like mine, it'll do half my advertising for me! I love doing massage, and don't mind outcall, but don't want it to be my entire practice... I'm excited about doing events and fairs, which are environments I've always loved anyhow. And I really love the opportunity to have my own space that I set up the way I want to... but that I *won't* have to leave behind when I move, the way I had to leave the studio we built in my old house, and then sold the house five years later.

I'm guessing that even though some people who build skoolies are in it because it's the cheapest form of residence they can get, plenty of others here are in it because they love the creativity of making one and the freedom of how they can live with one. That's no different for me. I'm looking for the opportunities that working from one open up for me, that I can't get with the more prosaic and less independent structure of either pure studio or pure outcall models. And I've already built one studio and loved doing it; I'm excited about doing it again... without giving up portability for the purpose, this time.
PocketNaomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:04 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNaomi View Post
I've done that, certainly. But it's a lot less safe than bringing a space that you can control, especially for a woman. I'm just not comfortable walking into the homes of people I don't know, by myself.

When I can bring my own space it's a little better... but more to the point, when I can being my own space, I'm not confined to the business model of going to individual clients' homes. I *can* do that -- and around here, there's unlikely to be a space concern -- but I can also go to street festivals, county fairs, block parties, etc, and be ready to work as a vendor in the space I bring with me. I can even do birthday parties and wedding showers.

All of that is a safer way to make money than bringing my table into the home of every stranger who wants to see me. It's one thing to have a studio and then do outcall work for clients whom you already know through that; but for the outcall to be my only way of bringing in new business doesn't feel safe to me, even in a pretty safe neighborhood.
Well when we became a "thing" I told Roxy she wan't going to be going to anyones home she doesn't know. And only couples or women. She's so busy and making so much money doing massage she can be super picky about who she works on.
She has an office, and works part time at a ladies' spa, so the only mobile stuff she's doing anymore are rich old ladies.
The mobile setups I've seen at events are usually a tent or awning.
But its your skoolie dream. You go for it!

Either way, I'd suggest anyone doing what you do should arm themselves and be proficient with self defense tactics and situational awareness.
A bus is pretty expensive to operate and drive, so factor in a good bit of overhead. And figure out where you're gonna be able to keep it parked when you're not massaging. THAT'S the biggest issue owning a big bus. Parking is WAAAAY more an issue that you ever think going in.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:08 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
A CCP or CPL isn't for everyone, if a person isn't comfortable they can easily turn into a liability. I'm not against it by any means but it isn't a good solution for some folks.
Its a great solution. Folks just need to be educated. Instead they develop their ideas about self protection from movies, the news, and the media in general.
You're right about being comfortable. My mom used to be uncomfortable carrying. Till two young thugs tried to ambush my mother in her own home. They were WAITING for her in masks with gloves and guns.
Now shes very comfortable knowing she has a fighting chance and isn't just supposed to wait 45 mins for the police.
End rant.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Well when we became a "thing" I told Roxy she wan't going to be going to anyones home she doesn't know. And only couples or women. She's so busy and making so much money doing massage she can be super picky about who she works on.
She has an office, and works part time at a ladies' spa, so the only mobile stuff she's doing anymore are rich old ladies.
The mobile setups I've seen at events are usually a tent or awning.
But its your skoolie dream. You go for it!

Either way, I'd suggest anyone doing what you do should arm themselves and be proficient with self defense tactics and situational awareness.
A bus is pretty expensive to operate and drive, so factor in a good bit of overhead. And figure out where you're gonna be able to keep it parked when you're not massaging. THAT'S the biggest issue owning a big bus. Parking is WAAAAY more an issue that you ever think going in.
Thank you for giving me lots to consider! I'm learning a lot here.

I am not in an area where I can work for a clinic part-time anymore. I did that for years, but I now live on an island. There are many massage therapists here, so I'll need to be different to find a niche and get clients... but they're all private practitioners; no spas or clinics big enough to hire employees. If I wanted to do that, I'd have to go off the island, which makes it a $25 round trip ferry ride and an hour and a half each easy minimum commute for every shift.

Not worth it. So I need to find a way to work here, and that means finding a niche that isn't being filled already.

Parking when I'm not working in it shouldn't be hard. We have two acres of land and a driveway that would hold five or six buses comfortably. Parking when I AM working, when I take it to other people, may be harder; but most people have their own land here. It's the few apartment-dwellers who might not be able to bring me over.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Its a great solution. Folks just need to be educated. Instead they develop their ideas about self protection from movies, the news, and the media in general.
You're right about being comfortable. My mom used to be uncomfortable carrying. Till two young thugs tried to ambush my mother in her own home. They were WAITING for her in masks with gloves and guns.
Now shes very comfortable knowing she has a fighting chance and isn't just supposed to wait 45 mins for the police.
End rant.
I don't think there's ANY one solution to safety which is right for everyone in every situation. I don't have a problem with people who carry weapons responsibly, and at times I've done it; but I don't want to do it when I'm working. The kind of heightened awareness that is me when I'm carrying is just not the mindset I'm trying to go into a massage with. I'm glad it works for your lady, but it wouldn't work for me.

Different strokes, as they say. I don't see anything wrong with her handling it that way, and I would never dream of trying to interfere with her right to do it, but it's not my way.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thank you for giving me lots to consider! I'm learning a lot here.

I am not in an area where I can work for a clinic part-time anymore. I did that for years, but I now live on an island. There are many massage therapists here, so I'll need to be different to find a niche and get clients... but they're all private practitioners; no spas or clinics big enough to hire employees. If I wanted to do that, I'd have to go off the island, which makes it a $25 round trip ferry ride and an hour and a half each easy minimum commute for every shift.

Not worth it. So I need to find a way to work here, and that means finding a niche that isn't being filled already.

Parking when I'm not working in it shouldn't be hard. We have two acres of land and a driveway that would hold five or six buses comfortably. Parking when I AM working, when I take it to other people, may be harder; but most people have their own land here. It's the few apartment-dwellers who might not be able to bring me over.
Now your interest in buses makes more sense.
A lot of forum members don't have land to park on, and its a usual story about getting code violations and neighbors complaining.

One thing you'll need to consider is noise. You're gona need a decent size generator to have enough AC to keep it comfy and spa-like inside. No one like a sweaty massage. Figure on at least three rooftop ac units. Those aren't too quiet, so you may wanna look into mini splits. Insulation is going to be a must, too. IDK if the customary Enya tuneage is going to be enough to mask the generator noise. There are some very quiet generator setups, but you can still hear them.
Also- you'll probably want to have a restroom and shower. I'd try to make them as un-RV-like as possible for the best experience for the customer. But who am I to be giving you business advice.
As to arming yourself- maybe keep a can of "bear spray" in a convenient spot. It doesn't HAVE to be a gun. Although when BAD things are happening and the cops are only 45 minutes away... eh... well I'd rather have and not need than need and not have. My mom got really REAALLY lucky.
Back to buses- how big you think you wanna go?
Old 08-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Now your interest in buses makes more sense.
A lot of forum members don't have land to park on, and its a usual story about getting code violations and neighbors complaining.

One thing you'll need to consider is noise. You're gona need a decent size generator to have enough AC to keep it comfy and spa-like inside. No one like a sweaty massage. Figure on at least three rooftop ac units. Those aren't too quiet, so you may wanna look into mini splits. Insulation is going to be a must, too. IDK if the customary Enya tuneage is going to be enough to mask the generator noise. There are some very quiet generator setups, but you can still hear them.
Also- you'll probably want to have a restroom and shower. I'd try to make them as un-RV-like as possible for the best experience for the customer. But who am I to be giving you business advice.
As to arming yourself- maybe keep a can of "bear spray" in a convenient spot. It doesn't HAVE to be a gun. Although when BAD things are happening and the cops are only 45 minutes away... eh... well I'd rather have and not need than need and not have. My mom got really REAALLY lucky.
Back to buses- how big you think you wanna go?
Yeah, I already carry spray stuff for defense if I need it. Thankfully, I've never needed it yet, but as you say, I'd rather be able to handle a situation myself if it comes to it.

That's really good information about the generator. I'd been thinking about how to handle climate control... do you know how much the mini-soles cost? I know they're expensive, but I don't really know what "expensive" means in this context. Five hundred? Five thousand? Fifty thousand?
Old 08-17-2017, 05:49 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yeah, I already carry spray stuff for defense if I need it. Thankfully, I've never needed it yet, but as you say, I'd rather be able to handle a situation myself if it comes to it.

That's really good information about the generator. I'd been thinking about how to handle climate control... do you know how much the mini-soles cost? I know they're expensive, but I don't really know what "expensive" means in this context. Five hundred? Five thousand? Fifty thousand?
Mini splits are around the same price as rooftop units. They're just not as commonly used.
Maybe CaddilacKid will chime in, he's an absolute GURU when it comes to ac. Or anything involving complicated stuff.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

I found this nearby, that looks really tempting. Aside from the fact that I'll need to take the CDL course for it, can anyone tell me anything I'm missing about it that an experienced bus person could tell from the ad?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/r...265687907.html
Old 08-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

The first thing I'd ask is which engine it has. Being an '81 model and "6 Cylinder" and a GMC, there's a fair likelihood of it being either a 6V71 or 6V92 engine. Both versions ran many millions of miles for Greyhound and many cities. Very reliable engines, all mechanical designs. Most will run at least 75-80 on the highway and deliver 10 MPG doing it.

Really nice looking from the pictures, be kind of a shame to gut it. Make someone a good party wagon as it is. (Although, to be fair, it may not look so great in person).
Old 08-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Something like that or a Gillig transit bus would look a lot more professional for a mobile massage business. And transit buses are usually a bit wider, with a bit more headroom, so you'd have more space to work.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

I asked about the engine. They say it has a "Detroit 92 series," and I have no idea what that means. Can someone tell me what that means?
Old 08-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
I asked about the engine. They say it has a "Detroit 92 series," and I have no idea what that means. Can someone tell me what that means?
That means is BADASS.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
That means is BADASS.
Wow, cool!! I'm trying to arrange to go see the thing... we'll see what happens!
Old 08-18-2017, 07:12 PM   #39
Bus Geek

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_Series_92

IMO- one the absolute FINEST engines ever to be put into buses.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

That'll probably be the 6V92 Detroit. That will be one quick bus on the highways. It should pass everything on the road, including many gas stations.

Ages ago I drove an old Peterbilt that had the 8V92(?) (often called the 318 Detroit) that would run well over 90 on flat ground. It had "mufflers" (hollowed) and could be heard on a clear night several miles away. They are known to be loud. Buses usually have much improved mufflers.

For the asking price, I'd snatch that up quick if it checks out.

Tags
buying, mechanical, wanted