Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Looking for a crown bus

Hello, I recently started a tubing business, and I need to get a bus to transport tubers from downstream to upstream. I fell in love with the crowns. If anyone has any for sale or knows of anyone selling one, please let me know. I would be interested in finding out more about it and seeing pictures of it.
Thanks,
Brock Beran
Tubing & Adventures
bberan@tubingandadventures.com

tubing&adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Looking for a crown bus

only crowns i seen is on the west cost,,, no east cost one's

how about you smitty ?????
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the help! I am located in Omaha, Nebraska. I realize they are mainly located in the west, so I was planning on having to fly somewhere and roadtrip back. it would definitely give me a chance to get used to it. thanks again! brock
Old 08-25-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Again I really appreciate the help guys! I have been emailing Patrick Young for a few days now, and he seems to be very helpful and knowledgable about them. Everything that I read says that Crown buses are pretty much the best of the best, so that is what I am interested in. Is it better to pay a little more and get something from someone that is well respected or to find something cheaper on ebay? What are your thoughts on that? Thanks, Brock
Old 08-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Smitty, I like the way you think, and you are completely right. Yes, that is exactly what I will be doing. I started the business mid-summer with the thoughts of purchasing a bus in 2 or 3 years. Well, the business has exploded and has expanded way faster than what I imagined. I have already tripled the amount of tubes that I owned and had to buy a new trailer to haul more tubes. I definitely see the need for a bus between now and early spring. If I got one now, then that would allow me to do a few things to it (paint, remove a few select seats, etc) before I got super busy again next year. And yes, I definitely could get a "regular" bus...but what fun is that? For the first bus of the new business, I figure I need something that I really like and that will be with me through the life of the business. Plus it would be fun rolling up to some Husker games in a Crown for some tailgating when the business shuts down in the fall
Old 08-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Almost There

I see the marketing side of getting a bus that stands out in the crowd. I'd say go get it. It is instantly visible during the season, then it becomes a rolling billboard when you go tailgating in the fall at college football games (probably your target audience anyway). If you think you're going to have problems, go find a 1980s bus for $1,000 and spend another $1,000 in paint and other needs and keep it as a backup just in case. It is my understanding that Patrick Young has many parts for these. Most of the big shops may not know how to work on it, but I'll bet you could find a diesel mechanic on craigslist that would be willing to work on your bus and order parts through Patrick when needed.

Good luck on your business. I love the idea about the "litter deposit." You've got to respect an entrepreneur that grows a business in a recession, especially one with your attitude towards keeping nature as untouched as possible.
Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Fireguy, that means a lot. Actually, I am a Civil Engineer and just do the tubing business on the side. Even though the business has taken off, I have no more weekends for me to enjoy. Hopefully next summer I can hire some help so that I won't have to do ALL of the work myself. I agree that I want something that will stick out. There are no Crowns around here, so people would know that the Crown belongs to Tubing & Adventures. Now I am trying to decide between a 40' triple axle or a shorter 35' double axle. I think the 35' would be adequate, but I love the look of the triple axle. Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I do understand your point, Smitty. although I didn't know what a crown bus was until I saw a picture of one and said 'what the hell is that'? we don't have anything around here that looks like them, so I think it would get people's attention. It may not be worth spending the extra cash on it, but being recognized might be worth a little extra marketing cost. I really do appreciate everyone's advice and opinions.

and if you make it to omaha, nebraska, I will give you a free float! especially if you bring some pretty girls with ya....

brock
Old 08-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
Almost There

I saw your hours on your website and instantly saw a side business...and a person with no life

As for choices, I would go with the smaller one unless you need the room. One less axle means 2 less tires and one less axle to maintain or break. Also, the shorter one will be easier to maneuver. One more thing to think about. Unless you get an automatic, I believe they are non-synchro transmissions (double-clutching).
Old 08-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Ha ha, right now I don't have a life...but I do see a lot of pretty girls in skimpy little bikinis, so it is somewhat worth it. It is a tough job, but someone's gotta do it Hopefully next summer I can hire a couple young kids to do all the dirty work, and I will get to run the bus.

As far as the axles, I do agree that the double axle would be much easier to maneavuer around the river access points. At this point, I don't think I would need the extra length to hold more people. The double axle would be make more sense...but I just like the look of the triple axle more. The only reason I could see getting the longer bus would be to take out a few of the back rows to store either a few tubes, coolers, etc.

Brock
Old 08-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I know people have mentioned that Crowns do not have a lot of under storage due to engine placement. How much storage is there? Is there at least some storage?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I wouldn't need a ton of storage, but some storage would be nice for youth life jackets and people's coolers, etc. I just wanted to make sure there was at least some storage. Wow, the great bendy beast sounds very interesting. I used to operate some big scrapers/earthmovers, and those are articulated...pretty fun to drive! I will ask him about it.
Thanks, you guys are great. This is a great forum!
Brock
Old 08-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #13
Almost There

I go rafting at least once a year if not more in West Virginia. They use old retired school buses painted in their colors and beat them senseless. They say the most injuries they get are from chipped teeth when drinking while trying to navigate those goat paths they call roads.

They dont have under belly storage on any of them. They just throw life jackets, paddles, and coolers in the rear-most seats on the bus and load the gear from the back.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Luckily 97% of the roads I will be on are paved. The rest is gravel that is good shape. I was thinking about taking out the back row or two of seats for tubes, life jackets, etc. I will also have a trailer with my truck though too.

Another question...what are people's thoughts between a Cummins 220 10-speed and a Cummins 250 5-speed?

Thanks,
Brock
Old 08-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Ok guys, one just popped up at a good price. What are your thoughts about a Detroit Deisel versus a Cummins? Both are in the same location, but one is about 7 years newer and $1100 cheaper. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
Brock Beran
Tubing & Adventures
Old 08-31-2009, 06:58 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

They both are good. Detroits are noisy and known for leaking. If they both run good, I think Id be more worried about everything else on the bus, tires, brakes etc. Transmission is important to. The 10sp is nice but may find it harder to put random people in it that know how to drive them if youre not doing it all yourself. If someone cant shift it right and miss a gear coming down a mountain they could get into alot of trouble. The 5 sp might also be unsynchronized, for lack of a better term, and have the same issue but Im not sure on the Crowns.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Kamoo, I really appreciate it. I am leaning more towards the Cummins. It is a little more expensive, but the whole bus appears to be in good shape.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Well, I ended up getting the tandem axle 40' bus. Even though I could have gone with the 35' bus, I still liked the look of the tandem axle better. Now I just need to figure out a way to get my CDL and go pick it up in Fresno and road trip back to Omaha. Does anyone know what the GVWR is for a 40' tandem axle Crown bus is?
Thanks!
Brock
Old 09-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #19
Bus Nut

36 on a true tandem and 12 on steer? 48k? CA is different though
Old 09-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #20
Bus Nut

I think you sent me a PM but it isnt showing up for some reason. To clarify my guestimate, you are allowed a certain amount of weight per axle which is also dependent on the number of tires on that axle as well as their size . Other things come into play especially CA like axle spacings etc. That is why you see long dump trucks with a million mini wheels under them and the transfer setups too (I think) because to haul the weight you have to have that long spread. I would guess CA only allows 12k lbs on the steer axle no matter what tire size you have since most of the dump trucks out there dont run floats and 36k lbs is pretty standard on the tandem set for a total of 48k lbs for your setup. I believe the Crowns have an actual tandem drive and not a tag axle like charter busses which would drop your max allowed gross down.