Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2020, 09:58 PM   #1

Year: 1953
Coachwork: Superior -Shorty
Chassis: 1980 Chevy chassis
Engine: 454
Rated Cap: 22
Looking for a crown compartment key

Looking for a crown compartment key. I just bought a crown and they had lost the key for the storage compartments. Just thought I would check by chance if anybody had one out there for sale. Thank you

Pete1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1954
Coachwork: crown
Engine: 220 cummins turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1986 View Post
Looking for a crown compartment key. I just bought a crown and they had lost the key for the storage compartments. Just thought I would check by chance if anybody had one out there for sale. Thank you
I just purchased a few spares from ebay. Let me find the item and i will attach

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F143209614879
50 crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom 40'
Engine: DDECII 6V92T Allison MT647
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs of potential
An important tool to have aboard your Crown!

A bit of 5/16" square stock can be a starting point for a DIY key. See pictures in links for inspiration...

A quick fleabay search returns these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Vintage-...4AAOSwNixdumXu

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Vol...wAAOSwkvheN2zH

Best,
Rich
Phantom5824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
If it's a twist lock that uses a square end, you can usually make do with a large flathead screwdriver. It's what I use when the alignment of the panels gets messed up and you can't fit the key in. "Square key" or "L Key" is what I usually call the correct tool.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1986 View Post
The door panel lock mechanism is just a square hole in a rotating plate that pulls in on the latch lugs on the rear luggage doors, or rotates a simple tab out of engagement on the other side panels. Nothing rocket science about it.

Through the years many companies fabricated various tools with usually slightly tapered ends to fit into the square holes. Round or square stock bent into a convenient "L" or whatever shape to provide the leverage needed will do the trick just fine. Any machine shop or even blacksmith can do the job just knowing the square hole dimensions, which I don't actually care about since I just use the Crown key I have without any thought to the dimensions.... You could even do it with a bench grinder and minimal shop tools. A proper sized screwdriver works just fine and many carry one for that purpose alone. If you plan on converting the Crown you'll need all those shop tools anyway. So this is your first project in a soon to be never-ending series of other projects converting your Crown, What Fun!.

Tell us about your Crown and where you got it and where you're located. If you need help with Crown specific stuff feel free to contact me directly and ask away. I've given my email in other postings but if you need it post here again and I'll provide it.

Welcome to the Crown Owner ranks and enjoy all the attention it garners as you drive it around, I'm sure you've noticed. They're Special that's for sure.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:57 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
I know I'm a couple months late, but...

Apparently old VWs used a similar square latch. If you google "Volkswagen bus church key" and it came up with several good options in the $15 range. The one I have looks something like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Key.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	45158
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote