Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat3126
Looking for a shorty on West Coast or near Denver

Hi everyone! I want to say a hearty thank you to all you folks who share soooo much information! This is a great education and adventure we’re already enjoying!!!
Well, we checked city ordinances...only one driveway per house and ours in front of our garage/art studio is short! We aren’t in a place to completely re-landscape our front yard and put a new driveway in so we are looking for a shorter bus. We love the traditional bus style...the turtle backs don’t appeal to us and hope to find a bus 24 foot to 20 foot long..18 the shortest if flat nose. We’d prefer a dognose or flat face with pusher engine...don’t want an engine right by us when on the road unless somebody knows some magical insulation process that takes care of heat and Lise in one fell swoop!
We’ve been taking notes from your suggestions about the best engines, transmissions, gearing, tires, rust, history, maintenance, miles, insulation, where the engine is and interior height of the bus and think we might be able to make an educated decision now
Short buses seem to be in high demand so I’ve been checking our resources everyday.
Anybody have one? We’re interested in straight from the school to unfinished or finished we can put our mark on.
Thanks so much! We’re excited to share in the adventure of the build and the road! Getting close to retirement and would love to have a less expensive way to get out and about!

Kaleth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
https://pullman.craigslist.org/cto/d...024724679.html
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat3126
Thanks Solomon! I’ve sent them a question about how long it is. Looks like a pretty clean bus
Kaleth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:14 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleth2 View Post
We love the traditional bus style...the turtle backs don’t appeal to us and hope to find a bus 24 foot to 20 foot long..18 the shortest if flat nose. We’d prefer a dognose or flat face with pusher engine...don’t want an engine right by us when on the road unless somebody knows some magical insulation process that takes care of heat and Lise in one fell swoop!

I'm pretty certain you can rule out a flatnose at that length, and you can deeefinitely rule out a RE. I've seen some flatnoses that were 28 feet, and I think maybe a couple around 26 feet, I dont think you can find RE pushers much less than 35 feet.

As for a dognose, I believe most 6 window buses (at least the international 3800 chassis) are right around the 24 foot mark.

AAAbussales (based in Arizona) has a handful of 5 and 6 window buses for sale. International 3800s and 3400s. Most seem to have the T444E with an AT545, the 3400s have a high ceiling (79 inches). Most seem to be in the 22-24 foot range. Prices are not listed.

There is also this 5 window for sale in Nevada (should be about 22 feet) but its pretty rusty.

Here is a converted bus probably about 23 feet long, looks nice, but a bit overpriced in my opinion, who knows maybe they are flexible on price, or maybe im just cheap . (edit: oops, didn't realize this last bus is located in Atlanta...)
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:04 AM   #5
Bus Nut

So right after telling you shorter pushers were virtually non-existant, I came across this 1996, 26 passenger, diesel pusher on the Denver craigslist. Looks like it is probably under 30 feet, maybe high 20's, hard to say. Never seen anything like it. It also looks to be in pretty rough condition
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:29 PM   #6

I've got a 21 ft 1991 Ford 350 Econoline diesel bus, already converted and also has veggie oil conversion. It's located in southern Oregon. Not for immediate sale, but will be ready this Winter for sale.
The engine is in the front with access via a dog box, so it is kind of noisy.
WildRoseMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:03 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I currently live up in Salem and I’m looking for a shorty also! Would love to see pictures of yours and possible buy when you are ready?1
Makailalynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
for sale, short bus for sale, short bus wanted