Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Looking for rub rail/side metal.

I have an exit door on my 1995 thomas I would like to delete. We want to replace the area with the factory rub rails. I read a thread where a person had removed all the skin and replaced with flat and we could use the old skin but I can't remember who it was or even what type of bus.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
Skoolie

My skins look like this. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2810.jpg   IMG_2809.jpg  
Old 09-09-2017, 11:54 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I've removed all the skin off my bus and replaced it with flat sheet metal. But I'm re-installing the single two-bump rub rail on top of the skin.

My local Blue Bird dealer had about a 3.5 foot section of rub rail to match my existing stuff which I'll be using where I deleted a door. It only cost about $15. Maybe your local Thomas dealer will have new rub rail material on hand for you as well.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:54 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

you can just go to the scrap yard or the new steel place and buy something like 18 ga sheets n take the crappy rigid stuff off and either re-rivit it, or use screws or even mig weld it on. Is what i have done and i thnk it looks 100% better. have done so since first bus in 1988 or so, n no problems ever.. also makes much nicer design area, as you can either mask off graphic designs or have nice side ones made for a few hundred bucks. my last re thomas which i converted about 5 yrs ago is much better looking with flat sides and redone front and back caps that replaced the junky school bus look with all the flasher lghts n so forth. and, it was much easier to install extra doors and folding table that permanently fit on sides when bus parked. just takes a little time to get a nice smooth look, but is worth it.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:59 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Can buy rub rail here-
Rub Rails - Bus Parts - All Points Bus
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #6
Skoolie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
I've removed all the skin off my bus and replaced it with flat sheet metal. But I'm re-installing the single two-bump rub rail on top of the skin.

What are you doing with the skin that has the bumps that are part of the actual skin this will probably be the hardest to source I only need a couple feet of it?

My local Blue Bird dealer had about a 3.5 foot section of rub rail to match my existing stuff which I'll be using where I deleted a door. It only cost about $15. Maybe your local Thomas dealer will have new rub rail material on hand for you as well.
Thanks for the suggestion I hadn't considered a thomas dealer. I'm sure the nearest one is hours from me but I'll look into it maybe I can grab some if I'm near a dealer.

[QUOTE=chev49;223159]you can just go to the scrap yard or the new steel place and buy something like 18 ga sheets n take the crappy rigid stuff off and either re-rivit it, or use screws or even mig weld it on. Is what i have done and i thnk it looks 100% better. have done so since first bus in 1988 or so, n no problems ever.. also makes much nicer design area, as you can either mask off graphic designs or have nice side ones made for a few hundred bucks. my last re thomas which i converted about 5 yrs ago is much better looking with flat sides and redone front and back caps that replaced the junky school bus look with all the flasher lghts n so forth. and, it was much easier to install extra doors and folding table that permanently fit on sides when bus parked. just takes a little time to get a nice smooth look, but is worth it.[/QUOTE

Other than looking better Is there any other benefits to re-skinning the entire bus? The metal that is already there is in good shape and is galvanized, my guess would be 16 gauge metal. It seems like all those ridges would add some ridgidity to the body helping with flex and even in the event of a side impact... I have seen the result of re-skinning and really like the look but I am just not sure if it would be worth the time and money invested for my build. If I had more of both I would definitely consider smoothing out the bus it is a much better look. Thank you for the suggestion
Old 09-10-2017, 08:32 AM   #7
Skoolie

I'm not sure how I got the quotes so messed up. I am terrible at this. Hopefully my skills will improve as my build progresses
Old 09-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I don't see pricing information on this site but it looks like this would work thanks for the tip.