Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC bus
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 35C24A
Looking for newer short bus

We want to buy a short bus (5-6 windows) to convert and import to our home in Mexico.

Unfortunately, importation laws dictate that diesel vehicles must be 2004-2009.
I would consider an older year gas engine if it had low miles.

If anyone has or knows of anything reasonable priced, let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

As far as location, we are open to travel for it. The pacific northwest or border area would be ideal but all things considered we can't be too picky about that.

Tyania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
First Students has a 2005 E450 cutaway for $2500 in Seattle.

I would REALLY like to talk to you about importing buses into Mexico.

I am a bus nut and love traveling in Mexico. I also get a big kick out of shopping the auctions. If I could combine passions by buying buses at auction an taking them to Mexico I would be in "hog heaven".

It sounds like you have already researched the particulars regarding importing into Mexico.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyania View Post
We want to buy a short bus (5-6 windows) to convert and import to our home in Mexico.

Unfortunately, importation laws dictate that diesel vehicles must be 2004-2009.
I would consider an older year gas engine if it had low miles.

If anyone has or knows of anything reasonable priced, let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

As far as location, we are open to travel for it. The pacific northwest or border area would be ideal but all things considered we can't be too picky about that.
Is that a new thing? Cause lots of older buses have been heading out of the export markets for years now. They're limiting you to the emissions controls years. 04 and 05 probably have less than the later ones though.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Is that a new thing? Cause lots of older buses have been heading out of the export markets for years now. They're limiting you to the emissions controls years. 04 and 05 probably have less than the later ones though.
Exactly. The Peña Nieto administration put it into effect in 2014 to control high emissions vehicles entering the country. Sours my plans though.

The other wild change is that the importation tax for vehicles 2007 and earlier is 5 times as much as 2008 and 2009s! Wish those later year buses came up for auction more often.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
First Students has a 2005 E450 cutaway for $2500 in Seattle.

I would REALLY like to talk to you about importing buses into Mexico.

I am a bus nut and love traveling in Mexico. I also get a big kick out of shopping the auctions. If I could combine passions by buying buses at auction an taking them to Mexico I would be in "hog heaven".

It sounds like you have already researched the particulars regarding importing into Mexico.
Thank you PMW_Steve for the first students tip... We are trying, if possible, to avoid that ford 6.0l diesel but of course that is what seems to be out there most and pretty much covers our target years except for 2008 and 2009. The chevy duramax would work be ideal but...

As far as importation, I believe you need to be Mexican citizen or premanent resident to import vehicles definitively. I could be wrong but i remember reading that in the requirements. Since I am a permanent resident I didn't bother to confirm it with the agent. Tourists and temporary residents can arrange temporary vehicle permits easy enough.

Might be able to use your services to check some buses out if they come up for auction in your area though if you are up for it.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thank you PMW_Steve for the first students tip... We are trying, if possible, to avoid that ford 6.0l diesel but of course that is what seems to be out there most and pretty much covers our target years except for 2008 and 2009. The chevy duramax would work be ideal but...

As far as importation, I believe you need to be Mexican citizen or premanent resident to import vehicles definitively. I could be wrong but i remember reading that in the requirements. Since I am a permanent resident I didn't bother to confirm it with the agent. Tourists and temporary residents can arrange temporary vehicle permits easy enough.

Might be able to use your services to check some buses out if they come up for auction in your area though if you are up for it.
Thank you Tyania,

You will likely find that there are not many GM Duramax shorty's on the market. In that year range they are almost entirely Ford. I don't know why.

The Ford 6.0 definitely has some issues but the fixes are well documented and I have seen many of them in good running condition with 250k-300k miles on them.

I am familiar with the TIP process. We go through that when we visit in our RV.

Perhaps a cooperative effort between someone in the US and a Mexican citizen working together to import buses would be the way to go? Just thinking out loud...

Back to the shorties: What do you think of the International shorties? A little bigger than the cutaways but generally have a T444 or DT-466?.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Back to the shorties: What do you think of the International shorties? A little bigger than the cutaways but generally have a T444 or DT-466?.
Yes. We are starting to consider the international shorties... Especially for the extra few feet. Having never driven a 'real' bus, I was hesitant about how driving it will be as well as having it repaired and parts expenses etc. but square footage is a valuable thing. It would still need to be a 2004 or later and I don't know how often they turn up for auction. Just started looking for those a few days ago.
Quote:
Perhaps a cooperative effort between someone in the US and a Mexican citizen working together to import buses would be the way to go? Just thinking out loud...
It will be interesting to see how much interest there is the converted bus once I have one to show off. Import and convert buses? Could be fun.
I admit importing/restoring was my dream job back in my vw bus days. Lets keep throwing it out to the universe and be in touch.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:56 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yes. We are starting to consider the international shorties... Especially for the extra few feet. Having never driven a 'real' bus, I was hesitant about how driving it will be as well as having it repaired and parts expenses etc. but square footage is a valuable thing. It would still need to be a 2004 or later and I don't know how often they turn up for auction. Just started looking for those a few days ago.

It will be interesting to see how much interest there is the converted bus once I have one to show off. Import and convert buses? Could be fun.
I admit importing/restoring was my dream job back in my vw bus days. Lets keep throwing it out to the universe and be in touch.
Don't worry about driving a larger rig. Driving a 6 window International is not much different than driving a pickup truck. Driving a 40' bus is no big deal. You just need to drive "further ahead". Keep a larger gap between you and the vehicles in front of you. Be aware of your manuevering and braking limitations and keep your brain engaged.

We need to keep in touch. We hope to spend some time traveling between San Carlos (Sonora) and Mazatlan this Winter. Are you anywhere close?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:24 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Are you anywhere close?
We are quite a bit farther south... Outside of Puerto Vallarta.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:09 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Ok.

I have not driven that far South yet. I have flown to PV a few times. Nice area. Trying to remember the name of the town just North of there where we stayed and cannot think of it at the moment.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Nice! Where exactly? My parents are retired and live just outside Punta De Mita! Have not had a chance to take our bus down there for a visit yet, bet we will one of these days...

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Ok.

I have not driven that far South yet. I have flown to PV a few times. Nice area. Trying to remember the name of the town just North of there where we stayed and cannot think of it at the moment.
Bucerias, maybe?

John
Old 07-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbloem1974 View Post
Nice! Where exactly? My parents are retired and live just outside Punta De Mita! Have not had a chance to take our bus down there for a visit yet, bet we will one of these days...

John
I live on a ranch just 10 minutes outside Punta de Mita. Who are your parents?
Old 07-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Ok.

I was also thinking Bucerias... could be Sayulita, San Pancho, or La Penita.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Bucerias, maybe?

John
That is it!!

Now... Where did I leave my car keys???
Old 07-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Sooo...

I will pick the buses up at the auction sites and meet you at km 21 on 15D?

Sound like a plan?
Old 07-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
I live on a ranch just 10 minutes outside Punta de Mita. Who are your parents?
Jane and Tony. My mom, Jane has a store in Sayulita - CM Boutique. Right on the main road at the bridge. My Dad, Tony, takes care of some houses at Litibu beach. Are you over by Higuera Blanca?

John
Old 07-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #18
Skoolie

Quote:
Jane and Tony. My mom, Jane has a store in Sayulita - CM Boutique. Right on the main road at the bridge. My Dad, Tony, takes care of some houses at Litibu beach. Are you over by Higuera Blanca?

John
Doesn't sound familiar but who knows... Could recognize them by face. I have been here for 17 years but then again, I keep to myslef quite a bit. I am 10 minutes in the other direction on a ranch, but I did live in Sayulita many years back.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:09 AM   #19
Skoolie

Quote:
Sooo...

I will pick the buses up at the auction sites and meet you at km 21 on 15D?

Sound like a plan?
I like your plan...

Any local auctions I should be looking at in WA or pnw? I am ready to fly up as soon as "my bus" shows up. Think we are leaning toward the 6 window internationals... Could go 7. Still restricted to the 2004-2009 years so, may have to look wider than the PNW and have it shipped. Only van cutaway we are considering at this point are the Collins/mid bus or US bus ones that have the longer bodies (usually 6 windows). Could be in need of your services if something shows up... To have you look at it and tell me what you think... If you are up for it.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #20

I have 5. wcmortimer@earthlink.net Located in L.A. County
Runningboard is offline   Reply With Quote