Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #1

Looking to buy bus

I don't know anything about buses, but I'm trying to learn. It looks like people are interested in specific engine and transmission combos. Can anyone tell me what kind of engine+trans combo I should be looking for in a school bus? I'm looking to stay around $3,000 for the bus and really trying to find a smaller bus, maybe something around 20-24' in length (not sure how many windows that would be). Sorry, I'm a noob with all of this. Thank you.

lyleelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
Welcome to the community.
This subject is very broad and there will be many opinions.
My input would be to define very specifically what your purpose and what your threshold of pain is, as well as what your budget will be. Also think about your time schedule will be for the conversions completion to the point where you will start to use it. I say this because a project is never really done just different levels of completion and usage.

As a point of reference, my bus is 30' long and will be for vacationing and it needs to sleep 6 people, comprising of 4 kids and 2 adults with one cat.

I want to boondock a term implying off grid use.

My budget is tight but my time schedule is at least 2 years.

I hope this helps
FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyCircus View Post
Welcome to the community.
As a point of reference, my bus is 30' long and will be for vacationing and it needs to sleep 6 people, comprising of 4 kids and 2 adults with one cat.

I want to boondock a term implying off grid use.

My budget is tight but my time schedule is at least 2 years.

I hope this helps
Thank you!

I am looking for a school bus, 20-24' long, and will be living in it full time with myself and two small dogs. It needs to sleep 2 people and two small dogs.

As my "home base" is in Kansas City and our weather is stupid, I am looking to get a lithium battery + solar setup that can allow me to potentially boondock for up to one week. Sometimes the sun hates the Midwest and, at my home base, my job office is not close to campground connections.

I am looking to spend $6,000 or under. I have no mechanical experience, so I am looking for something that is ready to drive and has been well-maintained. I am looking for diesel options that will last at least a few years as I intend to make this my full-time home for the foreseeable future.

Thanks!
lyleelei is offline   Reply With Quote